The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 1/20/2021
- IHS PTA Zoom Meeting (1/25) – Quick registration for Zoom link
- IHS Attendance Office Update
- IHS Athletic Updates (ICSD online Athletics Store closes 1/22)
- IHS Yearbook Candid Campaign
- IHS Lifetouch Picture Retakes (1/27-28)
- IHS Yearbook Order
- IHS AP Course Form and Fee (due to IHS 3/5)
- IHS Choirs & Dorothy Cotton Jubilee Singers Collaboration (3/12)
- IYB YES Program (now accepting applications for Summer Jobs 2021)
- FABG Grants (due 2/1)
- NYS Excelsior Scholarship (SP21 deadline 2/11)
- SAT and ACT (next SAT deadline 2/12; next ACT deadline 3/12)
- TCPL Virtual Coding Club for Teens (beginning 2/12)
- TCPL YA Book Club (2/17)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle III due 3/17)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/january-20th-2/
1. IHS PTA Zoom Meeting (Monday, January 25th, 7:00-8:00pm). Please complete a short registration form and the Zoom link will be sent 24 hours prior to the meeting.
Register HERE (https://forms.gle/LLSUBCFA4Bi9bDbJ6). January 2021 Agenda: 1) “A Conversation with IHS Leadership Team” 2) Committee Chair updates 3) Treasurer Report and Budget review. Next meeting: Wednesday, March 24th.
2. IHS Attendance-related Absences and Questions. To all IHS families from the Attendance Office: Please note that all attendance-related absences and questions should now be addressed solely to Linda Howell. Her email is email@example.com. All phone calls should also go to Linda at 274-2283. For those that might be wondering, Deb Kane retired at the end of 2020. We wish her all the best! Thank you.
3. IHS Athletics Updates
- Check out our new ICSD Athletics Little Red Store for fan packs, team stores, and more. The store is open now through January 22nd.
- Registration for Fall Condensed Season sports will begin on February 1. Please watch your email for details about this upcoming season.
4. IHS Yearbook Candid Campaign. The Yearbook is appealing to you for your help in making our book the best it can be. We have lots of ideas and are working on covering the events that have been occuring in the world HOWEVER, we are still in great need of pictures of YOU, of you and your friends doing whatever you do to stay connected, and photos of you in clubs, in sports, chilling out or anything else. Yearbooks are all about photos and it is REALLY difficult for us to capture them ourselves. Please remember to identify the students in the photos. PLEASE send any photos you have to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload through HJeShare
5. IHS School Pictures (Lifetouch retakes January 27-28th). If you missed the school picture days in December, Lifetouch will be back at Ithaca High School on January 27th and 28th for retakes. Photos will be taken in Kulp Lounge. Please click here to sign up for a day and time to have your photo taken by Lifetouch. Order your pictures today! Online Orders: To order your school pictures online at any time, visit mylifetouch.com (picture day ID: EVTQVX6XX).
6. IHS Yearbook Order. Reserve a copy of the 2020-2021 Ithaca Senior High School yearbook today! Click this link to order and remember this unusual school year.
7. IHS AP Course Form and Fee (due to IHS by March 5th). IHS students taking AP courses are expected to take the AP exam in May 2021 to receive credit for the course. There is a $95 fee for each AP exam. There is no charge for AP exams for students who have applied for and been approved for free and reduced lunch. Please return the AP form (received in the mail) with total fee payment to Mr. Jay Barnes in the College and Career Office or mail it to Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850 (attn. Mr. Barnes) by Friday, March 5th. If you would like to pay by check, please make the check payable to “Ithaca High School.” If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Collier in the Student Services Office 607-254-2157 or Mr Barnes in the College and Career Office 607-274-2218.
8. IHS Choirs and the Dorothy Cotton Jubilee Singers (collaboration virtual projects March 12th). Ithaca High School choir students will engage in a four-month community collaboration with Dr. Baruch Whitehead and the Dorothy Cotton Jubilee Singers.
The collaboration will include two virtual choir project “singles,” including Glory by John Legend and Common, as well as two virtual choir projects for the March 12th IHS virtual theme concert, “Lost and Found”: Great Day by Moses Hogan and Amazing Grace, arrangement by Michael Stern, ’14. Additionally, there will be monthly in-class community development sessions with lessons about the African American spiritual and gospel music, and discussions surrounding representation, anti-racism, bias, and allyship. To learn more about Dr. Baruch Whitehead and the Dorothy Cotton Jubilee Singers, visit dcjsingers.com.
9. Ithaca Youth Bureau’s Youth Employment Service (YES) now accepting applications for Summer Jobs 2021. Youth Employment Service (YES) is a free program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau. Our three core program elements are YES Connect, the YES Summer Jobs Program, and Ithaca Youth Council Ambassadors. One application for all programs. Zoom interviews are now happening for the YES Summer Jobs Program.
10. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org
11. NYS Excelsior Scholarship Program (Spring 2021 application available through February 11, 2021). The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. Certain eligibility requirements apply and are listed on the program’s website. The 2021-22 application has not yet opened, but you can enter your email address and get notified when the application opens. Heads up–you need to complete your FAFSA before completing the Excelsior Scholarship application. Spring 2021 application is now available through February 11, 2021.
12. Upcoming SAT and ACT dates: SAT: March 13, 2021 (register by 2/12); May 8, 2021 (register by 4/8); and June 5, 2021 (register by 5/6). SAT Subject Tests not offered on these dates. ACT: April 17, 2021 (register by 3/12); June 12, 2021 (register by 5/7).
13. TCPL Virtual Coding Club for Teens (beginning February 12th, 4:30-6:00pm). Teens ages 13-17 will be introduced to Python through coding games and animations. No experience with coding or the Python language is required, as the club is geared towards the complete beginner and welcomes those of all skill levels. During each meeting, participants will take part in an interactive coding tutorial and challenge. There will also be time for discussion with topics covering video game history, pixel animation, and level design. Registration for the club opens on January 18. Patrons can register at https://www.tcpl.org/events/tcpl-virtual-coding-club-teens-python-basics-11 to receive updates and the Zoom meeting link. Those registering will automatically be enrolled in all three club dates: February 12, February 19, and February 26.
14. TCPL’s YA Book Club to Read Death Prefers Blondes by Caleb Roehrig (February 17th, 4:30-5:30pm). February’s virtual meeting will focus on the critically acclaimed Death Prefers Blondes by Caleb Roehrig, about a teenage socialite who lives a dangerous double life as a high-stakes cat burglar. Participants must register to receive a free copy of the book and a Zoom link for the meeting. Questions? Contact Regina DeMauro at email@example.com.
15. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadline: March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.