The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 8/28/19
- IHS Freshman Family Info Night (8/28)
- IHS PTA existence in jeopardy – OFFICERS NEEDED
- Freshman Opening Day (9/4)
- IHS Class of 2020 Senior Breakfast (9/5)
- IHS Class Pictures (9/10)
- IHS Fall Athletics
- Upcoming College Representative Visits
- Fall SAT/ACT Testing Dates
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/august-28th/
- IHS Freshman Family Info Night hosted by Link Crew (Wednesday, August 28th, 5:30-7:00pm). Welcome Class of 2023 to IHS! Families will have a chance to find out about how Link Crew will impact their freshman students. Students will have the opportunity to meet & greet with clubs, athletics, current students, and staff. There will be snacks and special district guests. Need a tune-up on the Chromebook, just bring it.
- IHS PTA existence in jeopardy – OFFICERS NEEDED. The IHS PTA needs a Treasurer and President (or 2 co-Presidents) to be able to continue as an organization. You can be new to the IHS & the IHS PTA – no previous participation required. We have Membership, PTA Council Rep, VP of Programs covered, as well as volunteers in place to run valuable programming. We function as a non-profit under NYS PTA, and have to meet certain obligations – like having officers! This is way lower key than elementary PTA.
- The President (or co-presidents) work with the Executive Committee to schedule an Executive Committee Planning Meeting and 4 IHS PTA general membership meetings each year. The presidents prepare agendas for each meeting and chair the meetings, and field incoming communications as needed.
- The Treasurer makes deposits into the PTA bank account as needed (memberships, contributions), makes payments as needed (insurance, NYS PTA membership, reimbursements for approved program expenses), and files our non-profit tax submission. The Treasurer also receives the bank statements, and makes a fiscal report at each of the PTA meetings. The budget for the coming year has been drafted.
Without officers, we cannot continue, even though we have many fine programs staffed with volunteers and ready to roll: Weekly e-news; Morning Munch for Teachers and Staff (monthly); Mini-grants for teachers; Support for IHS Family Liaison (backpacks, etc) as needed; Teacher and Staff Appreciation Lunch (annual); Support of school wide student groups (including LINK Orientation crew); Snacks for supported student study rooms; Special Programs (College Student Panel, Gap Year Panel, Career Exploration Programs, movies and other presentations).
- Freshman Opening Day (Wednesday, September 4th, 8:55am -3:32pm) No Zero Period opening day. Speaking of Zero Period, here is a link to the Bell Schedule.
- IHS Class of 2020 Senior Breakfast (Thursday, September 5th, 7:00-9:30am).
- IHS Class Pictures (Tuesday, September 10th). Lifetouch pictures taken during scheduled PE class. Look for more information in the summer mailing.
- IHS Fall Athletics. Come a cheer for our outstanding students athletes. Checkout the Athletic Events Schedule. Fall sports include: Cheerleading, Football, Golf, Soccer, Girls Swim & Dive, Girls Tennis, Girls Volleyball, and Cross Country. Also, you can help support our student athletes by becoming a member of the Sports Boosters.
- Planning for college? College representatives are coming to IHS and they want to speak to you! Upcoming visits:
- University of Rochester, Monday, September 16th, 2019 at 2:00 pm
- SUNY Binghamton, Wednesday, September 18th, 2019 at 1:00 pm
- University of Chicago, Monday, September 23rd, 2019 at 1:15 pm
- St. John Fisher, Friday, September 27th, 2019 at 11:30 am
- Colgate University, Thursday, October 3rd, 2019 at 12:00 pm
- Hobart William College, Friday, October 4th, 2019 at 11:30 am
- Utica College, Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 at 10:00 am
- Need to take the SAT/ACT (including SAT Subject Tests) before upcoming college deadlines? There is still time: SAT: October 5 (register by September 6), November 2 (register by October 3), and December 7 (register by November 8). ACT: September 14 (late registration by August 30) and October 26 (register by September 20).