The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 12/18/19
- IHS Link Crew Food Drive (through 12/19)
- IHS Winter Orchestra Concert (12/19)
- IHS Ski Club (mandatory meeting 12/19)
- IHS Annual Updates (free & reduced lunch discount deadline 12/20)
- ICSD Recruiting Contest (ends 12/20)
- No School: ICSD Winter Recess (12/23-1/3)
- IHS PTA Meeting (1/13)
- No School: ICSD MLK Jr. Holiday (1/20)
- IHS January 2020 Exams (1/21-1/24)
- IHS Athletic Updates
- IHS Student Clubs
- IHS Daily Announcements
- TCPL Winter Reading Challenge (12/14-1/31)
- ICSD Community Conversations (next 1/7)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/8)
- AP Exam Updates (SSD by 1/17)
- FAGB Mini-Grants (due 2/1)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (3/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/december-18th/
- IHS Link Crew Food Drive (December 12-19th). The food drive wraps up on Thursday, December 19th. If you can, please bring non-perishable, non-expired, and un-opened food to the Main Office or to participating classrooms. Thank you!
- IHS Winter Orchestra Concert (Thursday, December 19th, 7:30pm, Kulp Auditorium). All are welcome to attend the IHS Winter Orchestra Concert.
- IHS Ski Club (Mandatory Meeting December 19th). Attention anyone who is interested in ski club – the bus seats are filling up very fast! If you are interested, you must get your forms in asap. Additionally, there will be a mandatory ski club meeting on December 19th – plan accordingly. The location will be announced soon.
- IHS Annual Updates
- Deadline for Seniors who receive Free & Reduced Lunch discounted Yearbooks ($50) is Dec 20th. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to reserve a discounted book. Families have the ability to be a Yearbook Patron when they order a yearbook on-line at yearbookordercenter.com (code 8812)
- The Yearbook is working hard to make this years Annual the most inclusive ever. We are asking students, staff and parents to submit photos for use in the book. We are looking for photos of students in class, in clubs, sports, choir, band, orchestra, and engaged in any activities they enjoy. We need candids of Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. We also need photos of Seniors with their hs aged sibling, Seniors at Work, Seniors with friends they have had for a long time (two photos- one photo from younger days and one of same students today). Please submit by uploading at yearbookordercenter.com (school code 8812), HJe-Share app (school code ITHACA), or sending to email@example.com. All information can be found on ICSD website page devoted to the IHS ANNUAL
- ICSD PTA Recruitment Contest (through December 20th). The ICSD is hiring substitute teachers, substitute teaching aides/assistants, bus drivers, and substitute nurses. We’re looking for applicants for these positions and we need your help. The PTA that refers the most candidates for these positions through December 20th will win a dinner with ICSD Superintendent Dr. Luvelle Brown! Applicants should notify the Human Resources department that they were referred by your school’s PTA. Need more information on open positions and how to apply? Visit our Employment Opportunities webpage: www.ithacacityschools.org/jobs
- ICSD Winter Recess (December 23, 2019-January 3, 2020). Enjoy your Winter Recess, stay safe, and have fun! 2019-20 Academic Calendar.
- IHS PTA Meeting (Monday, January 13th, 6:30-8:00pm, Activities Room). All are welcome as we kick-off the new year. Exciting programing coming in 2020.
- No School: ICSD MLK Jr. Holiday (Monday, January 20th). List of MLK Jr. celebration activities coming soon.
- IHS January 2020 Exams (Tuesday, January 21 – Friday, January 24). Best of luck!
- January 2020 Regents Review Schedule
- January 2020 Exam Schedule
- Transportation, Cafeteria, and Library
IHS Athletics Updates
2019-2020 Capital Improvement Timeline-ICSD Athletics:
|Start Date||Location||Work being done||Timeline|
|February 24, 2020||Pool||Pool repairs||February 24, 2020- August 14, 2020|
|June 1, 2020||Moresco Stadium||Replace Track, Bleachers, Press box, and Turf||June 1, 2020- October 10, 2020|
|May 31, 2021||Tatascore Field (Baseball)||Drainage, fencing and other improvements||May 31, 2021-August 27, 2021|
- IHS Student Clubs. So many fantastic involvement opportunities. Something for everyone ranging from leadership to leisure to service and everything in between. Checkout the list of clubs here.
- IHS Daily Announcements. Did you know IHS Daily Announcements are posted online? Lots of great information is communicated to students through Daily Announcements and sometimes that information doesn’t make it home.
- TCPL Winter Reading Challenge (December 14, 2019-January 31, 2020). Tompkins County Public Library is pleased to announce its annual Winter Reading Challenge, which begins December 14th and runs through January 31st. Children and teens can pick up a frequent reader card from either Youth or Teen Services reference desk starting December 14th. They can then fill in a bubble representing every hour they read or each program they attend. Cards can be returned by January 31st to be entered into a gift card raffle. For more information, contact the Youth (ext. 275) or Teen Services (ext. 289) at 607-272-4557.
- ICSD Community Conversations – Join us! (Next: January 7th at Southside Community Center) These community conversations are intended to engage all members of our community to help create a vision for our district as we discuss our long-range fiscal planning. We look forward to hearing all of your ideas, thoughts, and different strategies. Upcoming locations and dates: January 7th (Southside Community Center), February 4th (Enfield Community Center), and March 17th (Tompkins County Public Library). All of the community conversations will begin at 7:00 p.m.; they will follow Board of Education Committee Work Sessions, which are also open to the public.
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, January 8th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. Grants deadlines for the 2019-20 school year are January 8th and March 18th. For more information, click here.
- AP Exam Updates (submit SSD accommodation by January 17th). For students enrolled in AP classes–new this year. The following steps are required if you/your student is enrolled in an AP class and plan to take the AP exam in May:
- By January 17th: Deadline to submit an accommodation request to College Board through SSD Online. IHS’ SSD coordinator is Margie Shaw (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have an IEP or 504 and receive school-based accommodations, you must have your accommodations approved by the College Board prior to exam.
- May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams
- Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants (deadline, Saturday, February 1, 2020). Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants for ISCD art, music, and drama teachers.
- Save the Date: IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (Sunday, March 1st). We will start taking team registrations for the 2020 Adult Spelling Bee starting in January 2020! Spelling Bee teams consist of three spellers. Teams can be sponsored by a company or your team can crowdfund. Email email@example.com if you have any questions!