The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 12/4/19
- IHS Morning Munch (12/5)
- IHS Senior Portraits (due 12/5)
- ICSD SEPTA Meeting (12/9)
- Youth Summit (register by 12/10; event 12/14)
- IHS Athletic Updates
- IHS Winter Choral Concert (12/11)
- IHS Winter Band Concert (12/17)
- IHS Winter Orchestra Concert (12/19)
- ICSD Winter Recess (12/23-1/3)
- ICSD Recruiting Contest
- IHS Student Clubs
- IHS Daily Announcements
- IHS PTA Meeting – Save the Date (1/13)
- AP Exam Updates (SSD by 1/17)
- Saltonstall Teacher Retreat Residency (application due 12/15)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/8)
- FAGB Mini-Grants (due 2/1)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (3/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/december-4th/
- IHS Morning Munch (Thursday, December 5th) Donations of food are needed for this Thursday, December 5th for Morning Munch. Repeatedly, teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of parents and guardians for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. We need your help! Please consider making a donation:
- Fresh Fruit—We welcome fresh fruit (apples, bananas, clementines) that are easy for teachers to grab on the go and require no preparation on your part!
- Purchased Food—A variety of purchased food makes a good choice for the Munch–including breakfast pastry, muffins, donuts, cookies, granola bars, you name it.
- Homemade Baked Goods—Everyone loves to see the homemade goodies that make the Munch so personal! Homemade items including but not limited to fruit crisp, banana (or other) bread, muffins, coffee cake, scones, and breakfast casseroles make a great morning treat.
- Gift Cards or Cash/check to IHS PTA—These would be helpful for the following months. Each month we purchase yogurt and fruit for yogurt parfaits along with Ithaca Bakery bagels and cream cheese. Wegmans, BJ’s, and Ithaca Bakery gift cards are all good choices that help cover this expense.
Food may be brought to room F36 (enter through F35) near the cafeteria on Thursday morning or dropped off in the Main Office. Early drop-offs (prior to Thursday) can be arranged with one of the PTA Morning Munch Coordinators. Please contact Patricia or Melissa if you plan to send in a donation or would like to help at the breakfast. Thank you for your help!
IHS PTA Morning Munch Coordinators: Patricia Sipple (email@example.com), Melissa Rachlinski (firstname.lastname@example.org), Linda Galanthay (email@example.com), Laurie Morse (firstname.lastname@example.org), Deborah Whitehead (email@example.com), and Elsa Hyde (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- IHS Senior Portraits (deadline Thursday, December 5th). Submit via yearbookordercenter.com (Code: 8812) or the HJeShare App (Code: ITHACA) Head and shoulders. School photos will be used if no portrait is submitted. Questions? E-mail email@example.com
- SEPTA Meeting (Monday, December 9th, 5:30-7:00pm, TCPL Borg Warner Room). Come to our next meeting! Topic: Discussing the Special Education Process. Childcare & snacks will be provided. Please RSVP so we know how much food and childcare is needed. (A child questionnaire form must be completed before dropping off your child. The online form can be found here. To become a member of SEPTA, you can join in person at the meeting or online.
- Youth Summit (Register by Tuesday, December 10th; Event: Saturday, December 14th, 12:30-4:00pm, 110 N. Tioga St.). There is a lot to be anxious about–How do you cope? Youth and teens are invited to attend this Youth Summit focused on anxiety. Activities will mainly be community cafe-style discussions among youth and teens. Free lunch provided with pre-registration.
- IHS Athletics Updates
- Athletic Study Hall information for Winter Sports: Athletic Study Halls (ASH) will be Tuesday/Thursday from 3:45-4:45 PM in York Lecture Hall and Wednesday/Friday from 8-8:45 AM in K105.
- ICSD Athletic Department is piloting Remind this season! If you’re not already familiar with Remind, it’s a school communication tool that makes it easy to stay involved with your child’s activities and learning. Remind is free to use, and you’ll be able to get and send messages on any device—even a simple text message from your phone. In the coming weeks, you’ll receive an email or text message from Remind. All you need to do is follow the steps in the message to finish setting up your account. Scan the QR code and view a video demo to see how Remind works.
- IHS Winter Choral Concert (Wednesday, December 11th, 7:30pm, Kulp Auditorium). All are welcome to attend the IHS Winter Choral Concert.
- IHS Winter Band Concert (Tuesday, December 17th, 7:30pm, Kulp Auditorium). All are welcome to attend the IHS Winter Band Concert.
- IHS Winter Orchestra Concert (Thursday, December 19th, 7:30pm, Kulp Auditorium). All are welcome to attend the IHS Winter Orchestra Concert.
- ICSD Winter Recess (December 23, 2019-January 3, 2020). Enjoy your Winter Recess, stay safe, and have fun! 2019-20 Academic Calendar.
- ICSD PTA Recruitment Contest. The ICSD is hiring substitute teachers, substitute teaching aides/assistants, bus drivers, and substitute nurses. We’re looking for applicants for these positions and we need your help. The PTA that refers the most candidates for these positions through December 20th will win a dinner with ICSD Superintendent Dr. Luvelle Brown! Applicants should notify the Human Resources department that they were referred by your school’s PTA. Need more information on open positions and how to apply? Visit our Employment Opportunities webpage: www.ithacacityschools.org/jobs
- IHS Student Clubs. So many fantastic involvement opportunities. Something for everyone ranging from leadership to leisure to service and everything in between. Checkout the list of clubs here.
- IHS Daily Announcements. Did you know IHS Daily Announcements are posted online? Lots of great information is communicated to students through Daily Announcements and sometimes that information doesn’t make it home.
- Save the Date: IHS PTA Meeting (Monday, January 13th, 6:30-8:00pm, Activities Room)
- AP Exam Updates (submit SSD accommodation by January 17th). For students enrolled in AP classes–new this year. The following steps are required if you/your student is enrolled in an AP class and plan to take the AP exam in May:
- By January 17th: Deadline to submit an accommodation request to College Board through SSD Online. IHS’ SSD coordinator is Margie Shaw (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have an IEP or 504 and receive school-based accommodations, you must have your accommodations approved by the College Board prior to exam.
- May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams
- Saltonstall Teacher Retreat Residency (application due December 15th). The Saltonstall Foundation is pleased to offer two special residencies for Tompkins County public school teachers in the arts (February 15-19, 2020 (Winter Recess) and April 4-8, 2020 (Spring Recess)). These 5-day, 4-night residencies are designed as an artistic retreat for teachers in the following disciplines: Creative writing (any genre); Photography / film / video; and Painting / Sculpture / Visual Art. The residencies are totally free to attend. Five teachers will be selected through a lottery system for each residency. There is no jurying involved. Overnight stays are encouraged but not mandatory. Application deadline is by 11:59pm Sunday, December 15, 2019.
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, January 8th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. Grants deadlines for the 2019-20 school year are January 8th and March 18th. For more information, click here.
- Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants (deadline, Saturday, February 1, 2020). Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants for ISCD art, music, and drama teachers.
- Save the Date: IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (Sunday, March 1st). We will start taking team registrations for the 2020 Adult Spelling Bee starting in January 2020! Spelling Bee teams consist of three spellers. Teams can be sponsored by a company or your team can crowdfund. Email email@example.com if you have any questions!