The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 12/05/18
- IHS PTA Morning Munch (12/6)
- Join the IHS PTA
- Upcoming IHS College Visits (12/5)
- IHS Girl’s Hockey Fundraiser at the Glenwood Pines (12/5)
- IHS Seniors Yearbook Portrait (due 12/6)
- ICSD Equity Report Card Roll-out (12/6)
- IHS Tattler Annual Literary Issue (deadline 12/6)
- IHS 40th Annual Craft Fair (12/14)
- IHS Sophomores PSAT-10 (deadline 12/14)
- IHS 2019 Annual On Sale Now
- IHS Yearbook discounted price for eligible students (deadline 12/15)
- IHS Students and Staff: National Anthem singers needed for home games
- IHS Student Services December 2018 Newsletter
- IHS Spring 2019 Musical–Rent, School Edition
- IHS Daily Announcements
- IHS Clubs
- Play it Again, Ithaca
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Fridays 12/7-12/14)
- TCPL Retro Craft Makerspace (12/11 and 1/15)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (12/19)
- Saltonstall Arts Colony-Teacher Retreat (deadline 1/19)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/december-5th/
- IHS PTA Morning Munch (Thursday, December 6th). Donations of food are needed for next Thursday, December 6th for Morning Munch–breakfast compliments of parents. Repeatedly, the teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of the parents for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. We need your help!
- Fresh Fruit: We welcome fresh fruit (apples, bananas, clementines) that are easy for teachers to grab on the go and no preparation on your part.
- Purchased Food: A variety of purchased food makes a good choice for the Munch–including breakfast pastry, muffins, donuts, cookies, granola bars you name it.
- Homemade Baked Goods: Yes, everyone loves to see the homemade goodies that make the Munch so personal. Homemade items including but not limited to brownies, fruit crisp, bars, cookies, banana bread, muffins, coffee cake and scones make a great morning treat.
- Gift CardsCash/check to IHS PTA: These would be helpful for the following months. Each month we purchase yogurt and fresh fruit for yogurt parfaits along with Ithaca Bakery bagels and cream cheese. Wegmans, BJ’s, and Ithaca Bakery gift cards are all good choices that help cover this expense.
Food may be brought to room F36 (enter through F35) near the cafeteria on Thursday morning or dropped off in the Main Office. Please contact one of the coordinators if you need to arrange an earlier drop off. THANK YOU for your help! IHS Morning Munch Coordinators–Jaclene Weston (email@example.com); Linda Galanthay (firstname.lastname@example.org); Laurie Morse (email@example.com); Deborah Whitehead (firstname.lastname@example.org); and
Elsa Hyde (email@example.com).
- Join the IHS PTA! Your membership and donations are essential in supporting our students, our teachers and our school by funding Mini Grants for teachers, the Open House, The Word, the Healthy Snack Program, Achievement Awards, the Staff Appreciation Luncheon, Morning Munch and our Programming. Please consider joining each member in your household, including your students. You can join securely on-line at our new MemberHub Store. Be sure to scroll down on this site to add an extra donation to your shopping basket. You can print and complete the 2018-2019 membership form our website (http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/) and sending it into the main office in an envelope marked PTA – membership. Please do not send in loose checks or cash as they tend to get lost. Thank you all for your support!
- Upcoming IHS College Visits (College & Career Office/Main Office):
- Cayuga Community College, December 5th at 11:30am
- IHS Girls Hockey Fundraiser (Wednesday, December 5th, Glenwood Pines, 4:00-9:00pm). Support the Ithaca High School Girls Varsity Hockey Team and Dine @ the Glenwood Pines (1213 Taughannock Blvd) Wednesday December 5th anytime btw 4:00-9:00. A portion of the purchases will be donated to the I.H.S Girls Hockey program. After your Pines Burger, head over to Cass Park and cheer on the girls at their home opener vs Clinton. Puck drop 7:30pm.
- IHS Seniors: Yearbook Portrait (due December 6th). For the yearbook, Seniors have the option to submit a senior portrait. Prestige Portraits will be offering professional portraits to all students for free. Packages will be available for purchase, but students are not obligated to do so. Call 607-798-0909 to make an appointment with Prestige. All other senior portraits must be submitted by December 6, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org, otherwise the Lifetouch photo taken for the student’s school ID will be used. Photos must be under 10 MB and portrait orientation. The senior will be notified if there are any issues regarding their portrait.
- ICSD Equity Report Card Roll-out (Thursday, December 6th, 3:45pm, IHS Cafeteria). Attention IHS students: Do you want to have your voice heard and take ownership of your education? You all are encouraged to attend the 2018 Equity Report Roll-out this Thursday at 3:45 in the Cafeteria. The Equity Report Card monitors district progress towards achieving equity in twelve key areas of student achievement and engagement. This is an opportunity for you to be heard! Refreshments will be provided.
- IHS Students: Tattler Annual Literary Issue (submission deadline, Thursday, December 6th). Interested in submitting your work for the Tattler’s annual literary issue? The Tattler is accepting poetry, photography, short fiction and graphic art submissions. The best works in each category will receive prizes! Send submissions to email@example.com by midnight this Thursday, December 6th to have your work featured in the issue.
- IHS 40th Annual Craft Fair (Friday, December 14th, 9:00am-2:00pm). IHS Student Activities is looking for vendors and cider servers for the 40th Annual Craft Fair on Friday, December 14th from 9:00am-2:00pm. If you are interested in selling inexpensive gift items that day OR if you are available at any of those times to serve free hot cider to happy students and staff, please email Karl Mellander at firstname.lastname@example.org. Event is open to students and their immediate families, so please feel free to stop by!
- IHS Sophomores (PSAT-10 registration deadline Friday, December 14th). The PSAT-10 exam will be given to all interested sophomore students on Friday, March 1, 2019. The fee to take the exam is $16.00 and students can register and pay for the exam with Mr. Barnes in the College and Career Office. Checks should be made out to Ithaca High School. The deadline to register is Friday, December 14, 2018. Practice booklets will be given out well before the date of the exam. If you expect to receive testing accommodations you must apply for these through College Board.
- IHS 2019 Annual On Sale Now. Go to yearbookordercenter.com and enter out code of 8812. If you have a great photo of our students at work, at school or participating in the many school clubs and activities please send it to email@example.com. We are also welcoming new members. No experience necessary. Writers, photographers, graphic artists, JOIN THE YEARBOOK. We meet Tuesday afternoons in Library Lab 1 but students can contribute to the book even if they are unable to attend meetings. Interested? Questions? e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seniors who receive Free and Reduced lunch may purchase a Yearbook at the discounted rate of $50 if they submit a check by December 15th. Check should be made out to IHS Annual and mailed to Lyn Reitenbach, IHS Annual, Ithaca High School, 1401 N Cayuga St, Ithaca, NY 14850 Senior portraits are due December 6th. You may submit by uploading to HJEShare using code ITHACA (case sensitive). Please make sure you include the students name. Senior congratulatory ADS also available. See Yearbook page on ICSD website for all information.
- IHS students and staff National Anthem singers needed. If you are interested in singing the National Anthem at any of our home athletic events please stop by the Athletic Office (Q115) to sign up.
- Did you know Student Services has a monthly newsletter? Well…they do and it full of useful information. Checkout the December 2018 issue attached. Contact Eva Collier (email@example.com) for a copy of the newsletters.
- IHS Spring 2019 Musical…Rent, School Edition! There are many ways to be involved onstage, backstage, and in the pit. We hope you’ll join us. Audition workshops and info sessions will be held in early January 2019.
- IHS Daily Announcements. We love our students, but sometimes they are not the best at sharing information. Check out IHS Daily Announcements to follow daily IHS news & updates.
- IHS Clubs. IHS has something for everyone! Get involved, meet some new people, and have fun. For a complete list check out this link. Special shoutout to the IHS Ski Club. If interested please see Mr. Noyes in G116–deadline for registering is December 18th.
- “Play it Again, Ithaca”–used musical instruments needed. Do you have a used musical instrument gathering dust? The Fine Arts Boosters Group (FABG) would love to recycle your instrument through the Play it Again, Ithaca program. Last year, the “Play it Again, Ithaca” program donated 26 refurbished instruments to the ICSD district. To donate a musical instrument, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “instrument donation” in the subject line.
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Fridays December 7th-December 14th, 4:30-5:30pm). Teens (grades 6-12) can flex their creative muscles in TCPL’s weekly after school writing workshops. Sign up for a couple or take them all – each week will be something a little different but attendance at all sessions is not required. These one-hour classes will be led by Writopia-trained students from Ithaca College. For more information contact Teen Services Librarian Regina (email@example.com).
- TCPL Makerspace Retro Craft Techniques (December 11th and January 15th). People ages 16 and up are invited to attend two retro crafting programs in TCPL’s Makerspace. on Tuesday, December 11th from 5:30-7:30pm, participants can learn simple macrame techniques. On Tuesday, January 15th from 5:30-7:30pm, participants can learn the craft of punch needle. Both classes are free and all materials are provided. Registration is required for both macramÃ© and punch needle.
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, December 19th, 4:30-5:30pm). The TCPL invites young adults in grades 6-12 (or homeschool equivalent) to read Tahereh Mafi’s book, A Very Large Expanse of Sea, then meet to discuss it on Wednesday, December 19th from 4:30-5:30pm in the Library’s Teen Center. This book club meets monthly. Free copies of A Very Large Expanse of Sea are available for participants from the Teen Services Office. For more information, contact Teen Services Librarian Regina DeMauro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saltonstall Arts Colony-Teacher Retreat (application deadline January 19th). In partnership with the Fine Arts Boosters Group (FABG), the Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts is offering a residency-type retreat for ICSD teachers and other Tompkins County teachers during the Winter (February 16-20, 2019) and Spring (April 13-17, 2019) recess. The program is free and offered through a lottery system. Application deadline is January 19, 2019.