The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 2/12/20
- IHS 2020-21 Course Scheduling (2/14)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee–Thank you Duthie Orthodontics (sponsor); IHS Team members still needed (3/1)
- IHS Athletic Updates (JV/Varsity registration 2/10-3/8)
- IHS Casino Night Volunteers Needed (3/13)
- ICSD Community Conversations (3/17)
- IHS PTA Meeting (3/24)
- IHS Annual Orders
- IHS PTA Direct Appeal
- IHS School Closet – gently used items welcomed
- AP Exams (5/4-15)
- Spring 2020 Standardized Test Dates (SAT/ACT)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (2/13-4/30)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (2/19)
- YES Summer Jobs Program (accepting applications Mar 2020)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 3/18)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/february-12th/
- IHS 2020-21 Course Scheduling (deadline Friday, February 14th). It’s the IHS 2020-21 Course Scheduling season. Between now and February 14th, please enter your course selections in SchoolTool. In SchoolTool, select the “scheduling tab” (view the “Course Selection Sheet” for accurate course names and ID numbers). Remember to SAVE your selections.The final deadline to make any course selection changes is May 15, 2020. Scheduling information available on the IHS Student Services website. Helpful links: 2020-21 Program of Studies and the 2020-21 Course Selection Sheet.
- IPEI Adult Spelling Bee–IHS Team Volunteers Needed (Sunday, March 1st). Thank you Duthie Orthodontics for sponsoring the IHS team in IPEI’s Adult Spelling Bee on March 1, 2020! We are still looking for some volunteers to participate on our team of spellers. No experience is necessary and you work as a team, so you don’t even need to be a good speller! It is a fun event for a good cause – supporting our schools. Money raised from the event goes toward providing grants to teachers and educators in the district. If you’d like to join the team or if you have questions contact Monica Touesnard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IHS Athletics Updates
- JV and Varsity: Family ID opens February 10, 2020; Season begins March 9, 2020
- Modified: Family ID opens February 17, 2020; Season begins March 16, 2020
Please plan accordingly as any student interested in participating in a sport is expected to be present for try-outs & school breaks. If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any sport they must be in good academic standing. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. Please note, if your student is failing two classes when the season begins they will not be permitted to try out for a sport per the ICSD Academic Board Policy.
2019-2020 Capital Improvement Timeline-ICSD Athletics:
- Pool (Repairs): February 24, 2020- August 14, 2020
- Moresco Stadium (Replace Track, Bleachers, Press box, and Turf): June 1, 2020- October 10, 2020
- Tatascore Field (Drainage, fencing and other improvements): May 31, 2021-August 27, 2021
- IHS Senior Casino Night-Volunteers Needed (Friday, March 13th). The senior class event, Casino Night, will take place on March 13th. Volunteers are needed to help with decorating, refreshments, raffle donations and running the games. If you can help, please contact Debbie Whitehead at email@example.com or 617-365-7412.
- ICSD Community Conversations – Join us! (Next: March 17th, 7:00pm, Tompkins County Public Library) These community conversations are intended to engage all members of our community to help create a vision for our district as we discuss our long-range fiscal planning. We look forward to hearing all of your ideas, thoughts, and different strategies. Upcoming locations and dates: March 17th (Tompkins County Public Library). All of the community conversations will begin at 7:00 p.m.; they will follow Board of Education Committee Work Sessions, which are also open to the public.
- IHS PTA Meeting-Save the Date (Tuesday, March 24th, IHS Activities Room, 6:30pm). Please save the date and all are welcome. Agenda coming soon.
- IHS Annual. Order your yearbook at yearbookordercenter.com Ithaca code 8812 In an attempt to not have extra copies we have ordered less than in previous years so order early to ensure you get a copy. We are still accepting photos from students, families, etc in our attempt to get everyone in the book multiple times.
- IHS PTA Direct Appeal. Please be on the lookout for the upcoming IHS PTA Direct Appeal in mid-March. Funds will go toward programming, teacher grants, morning munch, and other supportive programs for our IHS community. Stay tuned.
- IHS School Closet. Did you know IHS has a School Closet? The librarian at IHS created a student closet that has small toiletries, shoes, and clothing which students can borrow. With the colder weather there is a need for gently used warmer clothing and coats. If you have any unused clothing or available toiletries at home please drop them off at the school office. Thank you!
- AP Exams (May 4-15th). For students enrolled in AP classes–May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams.
- Upcoming Standardized Spring 2020 Testing Dates. If your student is planning ahead for Spring testing, here are the upcoming dates:
- SAT: May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
- SAT Subjects Tests: May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020). Pro tip–AP exams are great prep for SAT Subject tests.
- ACT: June 13, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (Thursdays, February 13-April 30, 4:30-5:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to flex their creative muscles in this weekly after school writing workshop on Thursdays, beginning January 23 and running through April 30, from 4:30 to 5:30 PM, in the Library’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. NOTE: The workshop will not meet March 12. Teens may attend a couple of sessions or all of them; each week will offer something different, and attendance every week is not required. These one-hour workshops will be led by volunteers from Ithaca College, and they will involve a variety of prompts, exercises, and opportunities to workshop pieces. Advance registration is preferred, but drop-ins are always welcome. Register online at www.tcpl.org/events/teen-writing-workshops-23. For more information, please contact Teen Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (607) 272-4557, extension 274.
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, February 19th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Programming Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults in grades 6-12 to a monthly book discussion series. The group will meet Wednesday, February 19th from 4:30-5:30pm in the Thaler/Howell Programming Room. For the February meeting, participants will read and discuss One Man Guy, by Michael Barakiva. Michael Barakiva will also appear for a meet and greet on February 14th. Copies of the book are available for participants from the Teen Services office. Snacks and drinks provided. For more information, contact Teen Services at email@example.com.
- YES Summer Jobs Program (accepting applications starting March 2020). Youth Employment Service (YES) is a program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau. The YES Summer Jobs Program puts about 180 teens (ages 14-20) to work in the community at over seventy different worksites. Jobs include camp counseling, working with local banks and offices, farming and gardening, working with food and in retail stores, working with children and the elderly, and more! Teens work up to 120 hours, usually around 20 hours per week over the course of six weeks. All jobs pay $11.10 an hour. Who Qualifies: All teens ages 14-20 who live within the City of Ithaca are eligible. Teens ages 14-20 living within Tompkins County who qualify for free or reduced price lunch may be eligible. Teens ages 14-20 who are first time workers living in the Towns of Ithaca, Caroline, Enfield, and Danby and the Villages of Lansing and Cayuga Heights may be eligible. Priority is to serve teens who are 14-15 years old and/or first-time workers.
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, March 18th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.