The following is a weekly “e-newsletter” containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This “e-newsletter” is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA “E-News” 2/1/2017
- Morning Munch (2/2)
- IHS Yearbook price increase & last week for Senior then & now (2/4)
- IHS Code Red Robotics Open House (2/4)
- Spring 2017 Athletic Forms (2/6-3/1)
- Join IHS PTA IPEI Spelling Bee Team (sign-up 2/10)
- FABG General Meeting (2/13)
- BOCES Career and Tech 10th grade visitation day (3/2; *forms due 2/15*)
- Save the Date-IHS PTA Meeting (3/9)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (2/2-4/20)
- How and Why Do Languages Change lecture (2/7)
- Community Conversation: Faith and Dialogue (2/8)
- Spring 2017 Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series (kick-off 2/9)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (2/15)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/february-1st/
- Goodies needed for Morning Munch (February 2nd). Donations of food are needed for Thursday, February 2nd for Morning Munch–breakfast compliments of parents. Repeatedly, teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of the parents for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. If you can help out, please contact Jaclene Weston (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- IHS Yearbook price increase after February 4th & last week for Senior then/now pictures. The IHS Annual, IHS’s award winning yearbook will increase in price on February 4th. Order now to get the yearbook for $65. Go to the ICSD website page devoted to the yearbook to learn all about the yearbook. To order a yearbook, go to www.yearbookordercenter.com and enter Ithaca High School’s code 8812. The yearbook has a new feature where you are now able to watch videos within the book! Download the app Aurasma on your smartphone, make an account, and finally hold the phone over the book. More information about Aurasma will come out as we come closer to the books arrival! If you have any pictures or videos that you would like to see in the book please email them to email@example.com.
***This week is the last chance for then and now photos of seniors or a photo of a senior and their sibling who also attends IHS to be submitted.***
- IHS Code Red Robotics Open House (Saturday, February 4th, 1-4pm)! IHS Code Red Robotics is hosting their annual community Open House on Saturday, February 4th from 1:00-4:00pm in IHS’ Technology E Wing off Lake Street. The amazing Code Red Robotics team members will demo a typical build day and interact with students, families, and the community. For more information, visit team369.org.
- Spring 2017 Athletic Forms (due February 6th-March 1st). For all Spring Varsity and Junior Varsity athletes–the window to turn in your athletic forms to the IHS medical office is February 6th-March 1st. Athletic forms include: 1) Medical History, 2) Sports Eligibility & Consent Form, and 3) Copy of Physical on File (up to date).
- Do you have what it takes to be a Bee-T-A member? IHS PTA has fielded a team, the “Bee-T-A”, for the IPEI annual adult spelling bee for the past several years. This is a terrific fundraiser for the Ithaca Public Education Initiative, which funds innovative grants for Ithaca School District teachers and schools. The deadline is drawing near to register as a spelling team for the 19th Annual IPEI Adult Spelling Bee on March 5th. If you think that you’re a good speller, or, just want to have a great time raising money for a terrific organization, please join the team! We need 2 or 3 contestants. The deadline for spelling team entry is February 10th.
If you are thinking about joining the IHS PTA team, the “Bee-T-A”, please contact Esther Racoosin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- FABG General Meeting (Monday, February 13th, 5:30-7:00pm in Kulp Lounge, IHS). Everyone is invited to the Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) general meeting on mOnday, February 13th, 5:30-7:00pm in Kulp Lounge in the IHS Performing Arts Center. The meeting will include arts updates from David Brown and interim Fine Arts Director Steve Beamish, music teacher Karla Notarianni, and art teacher Ana Goldsmith.
- BOCES Career and Tech 10th grade visitation day (March 2nd, 9:00-10:45am). Any 10th grade student interested in exploring their Career and Tech programs should see Ms. Sullivan in the Main Office to register and get your field trip permission form. All forms must be returned by February 15th – there will be no exceptions.
- Save the Date–next IHS PTA meeting (Thursday, March 9th, 5:30pm). Details to come.
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursdays at 4:45pm starting February 2nd). Young adults (grades 6-12) are invited to exercise their creative writing muscles during weekly teen writing workshops at the TCPL every Thursday at 4:45pm (February 2nd-April 20th). These hour-long classes will be facilitated by IC writing students and include exercises, prompts, and opportunities to workshop original pieces. To register, visit http://www.libraryinsight.com/eventdetails.asp?jx=nnv&lmx=921784&v=3
- How and Why Do Languages Change (Tuesday, February 7th, 6:00-7:30pm, TCPL Borg Warner Room). Free and open to the public, How and Why Do Languages Change, will be presented by Professor Michael Weiss, Department of Linguistics, Cornell University. For more information visit http://www.libraryinsight.com/calendar.asp?jx=nn.
- Community Conversation: Faith and Dialogue (February 8th, 6:30pm). Ithaca Coalition for Unity and Cooperation in the Middle East (CUCME) welcomes the community to join a conversation about faith and dialogue with with Rev. Thickstun on February 8, 2017 at 6:30pm at the Just Be Cause Center. A vegetarian potluck precedes the discussion and music and dance follows the discussion. RSVP at http://bit.ly/2iRZqDt or for more information, visit facebook.com/IthacaCoalition.
- Renowned Local Authors Launch Spring 2017 Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series (kick-off February 9th). Award-winning local authors will kick-off the Spring 2017 Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series on Thursday, February 9th , 4:30pm at Rhodes-Rawlings Auditorium in Cornell’s Klarman Hall. The Richard Cleaveland Memorial Reading features poet and writer Alice Fulton and fiction writer Helena Maria Viramontes. All events in the Reading Series are free and open to the public. For more information visit english.cornell.edu/zalaznick
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, February 15th, 4:30pm). TCPL’s Young Adult Book Club will meet at Buffalo Street Books on Wednesday, February 15th at 4:30pm for a discussion of “Charles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faith.” Students in grades 6-12 are welcome. Snacks and refreshments provided. For more information, contact Teen Services Librarian Regina DeMauro at email@example.com.