The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 2/26/20
- IHS Choral Showcase (2/28)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (3/1)
- IHS Senior Awards and Scholarships (3/2)
- Music In Our Schools Music Combined Band Concert (3/3)
- IHS Morning Munch (3/5)
- IHS Orchestra Cabaret Night (3/6)
- IHS Athletic Updates (JV/Varsity registration ends 3/8)
- IHS Casino Night Volunteers Needed (3/13)
- ICSD Community Conversations (3/17)
- TST BOCES Open House (3/19)
- IHS PTA Meeting (3/24)
- IHS Annual Orders (Senior ADs)
- IHS PTA Direct Appeal
- IHS School Closet – gently used items welcomed
- CBC Spring Registration Open
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (2/27-4/30)
- AP Exams (5/4-15)
- Spring 2020 Standardized Test Dates (SAT/ACT)
- YES Summer Jobs Program (accepting applications Mar 2020)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 3/18)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/february-26th/
1. IHS Choral Showcase (Friday, February 28th, 7:00pm, Kulp Auditorium). All are welcome.
2. IPEI Adult Spelling Bee–IHS Team Volunteers Needed (Sunday, March 1st, 2:00pm, IHS Gym). Thank you Duthie Orthodontics for sponsoring the IHS team in IPEI’s Adult Spelling Bee on March 1, 2020! We are still looking for ONE MORE volunteer to participate on our team of spellers. No experience is necessary and you work as a team, so you don’t even need to be a good speller! It is a fun event for a good cause – supporting our schools. Money raised from the event goes toward providing grants to teachers and educators in the district. If you’d like to join the team or if you have questions contact Monica Touesnard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. IHS Senior Awards and Scholarships:
- IHS Senior Awards 2020. (Applications Due: March 2, 2020). Every year there is a ceremony for seniors who have received an award(s). Awards come from many sources, such as nominations by IHS teachers or an outside organization, in the memory of loved ones, or in honor of an IHS graduating class. These specific awards have a trust fund account and recognize students with a monetary award. In order to be nominated for many of the awards, you need to fill out an award application. Please don’t hesitate to get this done! Applications can be downloaded from this page or picked up from J15 or G116. Mrs. Powers and Mr. Noyes are the coordinators of the awards program, and we wish you all the best. Please don’t hesitate to ask either of us a question.
- CFCU Scholarships 2020. (Key Dates: March 3, 2020 & April 3, 2020). Are you a high school student or know a student looking for a scholarship? Each year CFCU supports local area students and our local communities by providing scholarships. By Friday, March 6th, applicants must meet criteria for membership at CFCU and have or open a CFCU membership savings account in his/her name. By Friday, April 3rd, all components of the application (application, two letters of recommendation, and official transcripts) must be submitted electronically/postmarked no later than this date. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All information is kept in strict confidence.
- Society of Women Engineers Margaret R. Brewster Scholarship 2020 (Applications Due: March 27, 2020). The Twin Tiers Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is pleased to announce the 2020 Margaret R. Brewster scholarship program. These $2,000 scholarships will be open to high school seniors within the Twin Tiers region who (i) identify as female and (ii) plan to major in an ABET-accredited engineering program or a CSAB-accredited computer science program during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Cayuga Medical Center Foundation Scholarship (Applications Due: March 30, 2020). The Cayuga Medical Center Foundation Scholarship is a merit-based award designed to provide financial support to graduating seniors intending to continue their education in pursuit of a health center career.
4. Music in Our Schools Combined Band Concert (Tuesday, March 3rd, 7:00pm, Kulp Auditorium). Middle and High School bands unite!
5. Morning Munch – IHS Teacher/Staff Breakfast (Thursday, March 5th). Donations of food are needed for Thursday, March 5th for Morning Munch – breakfast compliments of IHS families. Repeatedly, teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of parents and guardians for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. We need your help! Please consider making a donation:
Fresh Fruit—We welcome fresh fruit (apples, bananas, clementines) that are easy for teachers to grab on the go and require no preparation on your part!
Purchased Food—A variety of purchased food makes a good choice for the Munch–including breakfast pastry, muffins, donuts, cookies, granola bars, you name it.
Homemade Baked Goods—Everyone loves to see the homemade goodies that make the Munch so personal! Homemade items including but not limited to fruit crisp, banana (or other) bread, muffins, coffee cake, scones, and breakfast casseroles make a great morning treat.
Gift Cards or Cash/check to IHS PTA—These would be helpful for the following months. Each month we purchase yogurt and fruit for yogurt parfaits along with Ithaca Bakery bagels and cream cheese. Wegmans, BJ’s, and Ithaca Bakery gift cards are all good choices that help cover this expense.
Food may be brought to room F36 (enter through F35) near the cafeteria on Thursday morning or dropped off in the Main Office.. Early drop-offs (prior to Thursday) can be arranged with one of the PTA Morning Munch Coordinators. Please contact Patricia or Melissa (contact info below) if you plan to send in a donation or would like to help at the breakfast. Thank you for your help! IHS PTA Morning Munch Coordinators: Patricia Sipple (email@example.com), Melissa Rachlinski (firstname.lastname@example.org), Linda Galanthay (email@example.com), Laurie Morse (firstname.lastname@example.org), Deborah Whitehead (email@example.com), and Elsa Hyde (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. Ithaca High School Orchestra Cabaret Night (March 6th, 7:00pm, Kulp Auditorium). All are welcome.
7. IHS Athletics Updates
2020-2021 Coaching Application
Coaching applications for the 2020-2021 Fall, Winter, And Spring Season are due February 28, 2020.
- JV and Varsity: Family ID opens February 10, 2020; Season begins March 9, 2020
- Modified: Family ID opens February 17, 2020; Season begins March 16, 2020
Please plan accordingly as any student interested in participating in a sport is expected to be present for try-outs & school breaks. If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any sport they must be in good academic standing. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. Please note, if your student is failing two classes when the season begins they will not be permitted to try out for a sport per the ICSD Academic Board Policy.
2019-2020 Capital Improvement Timeline-ICSD Athletics:
- Pool (Repairs): February 24, 2020- August 14, 2020
- Moresco Stadium (Replace Track, Bleachers, Press box, and Turf): June 1, 2020- October 10, 2020
- Tatascore Field (Drainage, fencing and other improvements): May 31, 2021-August 27, 2021
8. IHS Senior Casino Night-Volunteers Needed (Friday, March 13th). The senior class event, Casino Night, will take place on March 13th. Volunteers are needed to help with decorating, refreshments, raffle donations and running the games. If you can help, please contact Debbie Whitehead at email@example.com or 617-365-7412.
9. ICSD Community Conversations – Join us! (Next: March 17th, 7:00pm, Tompkins County Public Library) These community conversations are intended to engage all members of our community to help create a vision for our district as we discuss our long-range fiscal planning. We look forward to hearing all of your ideas, thoughts, and different strategies. Upcoming locations and dates: March 17th (Tompkins County Public Library). All of the community conversations will begin at 7:00 p.m.; they will follow Board of Education Committee Work Sessions, which are also open to the public.
10. TST BOCES Open House (Thursday, March 19th, 6:00-7:30pm). You are invited to theTST BOCES Career and Technical Education Center Open House. View classroom demonstrations, meet teachers and students, and meet with an Admissions Counselor from TC3 to explore post-secondary college options. Experience programs that prepare you for college and employment: animal science, auto body/technology, computer technology/cybersecurity, cosmetology, criminal justice, culinary arts, digital media, early childhood, heavy equipment, nurse assistant and health occupations, sports and exercise science, and welding.
11. IHS PTA Meeting-Save the Date (Tuesday, March 24th, IHS Activities Room, 6:30pm). Please save the date and all are welcome. Agenda coming soon.
12. IHS Annual (Senior ADs). It is time to order your Senior congratulatory ADS for your graduating senior. Go to yearbookordercenter.com to create your AD or send us your images and message to firstname.lastname@example.org All information can be found on the ICSD website. We also welcome business ADS and continue to seek photos of students in our attempt to get everyone in the book multiple times. These can be sent to email@example.com .
13. IHS PTA Direct Appeal. Please be on the lookout for the upcoming IHS PTA Direct Appeal in mid-March. Funds will go toward programming, teacher grants, morning munch, and other supportive programs for our IHS community. Stay tuned.
14. IHS School Closet. Did you know IHS has a School Closet? The librarian at IHS created a student closet that has small toiletries, shoes, and clothing which students can borrow. With the colder weather there is a need for gently used warmer clothing and coats. If you have any unused clothing or available toiletries at home please drop them off at the school office. Thank you!
15. Cascadilla Boat Club (CBC) Spring Registration Now Open. Registration for Spring Rowing with Cascadilla Boat Club is now open. Try a new sport, No experience necessary to join, programs available for 6th-12th graders, for more information contact Head Coach, Theresa Alessio, firstname.lastname@example.org.
16. TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (Thursdays, February 27-April 30, 4:30-5:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to flex their creative muscles in this weekly after school writing workshop on Thursdays, beginning January 23 and running through April 30, from 4:30 to 5:30 PM, in the Library’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. NOTE: The workshop will not meet March 12. Teens may attend a couple of sessions or all of them; each week will offer something different, and attendance every week is not required. These one-hour workshops will be led by volunteers from Ithaca College, and they will involve a variety of prompts, exercises, and opportunities to workshop pieces. Advance registration is preferred, but drop-ins are always welcome. Register online at www.tcpl.org/events/teen-writing-workshops-23. For more information, please contact Teen Services at email@example.com or by phone at (607) 272-4557, extension 274.
17. AP Exams (May 4-15th). For students enrolled in AP classes–May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams.
18. Upcoming Standardized Spring 2020 Testing Dates. If your student is planning ahead for Spring testing, here are the upcoming dates:
- SAT: May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
- SAT Subjects Tests: May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020). Pro tip–AP exams are great prep for SAT Subject tests.
- ACT: June 13, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
19. YES Summer Jobs Program (accepting applications starting March 2020). Youth Employment Service (YES) is a program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau. The YES Summer Jobs Program puts about 180 teens (ages 14-20) to work in the community at over seventy different worksites. Jobs include camp counseling, working with local banks and offices, farming and gardening, working with food and in retail stores, working with children and the elderly, and more! Teens work up to 120 hours, usually around 20 hours per week over the course of six weeks. All jobs pay $11.10 an hour. Who Qualifies: All teens ages 14-20 who live within the City of Ithaca are eligible. Teens ages 14-20 living within Tompkins County who qualify for free or reduced price lunch may be eligible. Teens ages 14-20 who are first time workers living in the Towns of Ithaca, Caroline, Enfield, and Danby and the Villages of Lansing and Cayuga Heights may be eligible. Priority is to serve teens who are 14-15 years old and/or first-time workers.
20. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, March 18th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.