The following is a weekly “e-newsletter” containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This “e-newsletter” is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA “E-News” 2/8/2017
- Save the Date-IHS PTA Meeting (3/9)
- Senior cap & gown orders (2/8-9)
- IHS Yearbook orders and advertisements
- Spring 2017 Athletic Forms (2/6-3/1)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (2/9)
- Spring 2017 Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series (kick-off 2/9)
- Join IHS PTA IPEI Spelling Bee Team (sign-up 2/10)
- “Walk a Mile” Day (2/11)
- FABG General Meeting (2/13)
- The New Jim Crow Community Read (2/13)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (2/15)
- BOCES Career and Tech 10th grade visitation day (3/2; *forms due 2/15*)
- IHS Chamber Music Recital (2/16)
- Learning Web career exploration
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/february-8th/
- Save the Date–next IHS PTA meeting (Thursday, March 9th, 5:30pm). Details to come.
- Senior cap & gown orders (February 8-9th). On February 8th and February 9th, Jostens will be in the H-Courtyard during all lunch periods to take Seniors cap and gown orders.
- IHS Yearbook price increase to $75. This week yearbook prices rise to $75. Buy your yearbook before it’s too late. To order a yearbook, go to www.yearbookordercenter.com and enter Ithaca High School’s code 8812. Also, if you or someone you know owns a local business–now is a great opportunity to advertise your business and support your community’s high school. If you are interested in advertising, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring 2017 Athletic Forms (due February 6th-March 1st). For all Spring Varsity and Junior Varsity athletes–the window to turn in your athletic forms to the IHS medical office is February 6th-March 1st. Athletic forms include: 1) Medical History, 2) Sports Eligibility & Consent Form, and 3) Copy of Physical on File (up to date).
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursday, February 9th, 4:45pm). Young adults (grades 6-12) are invited to exercise their creative writing muscles during weekly teen writing workshops at the TCPL every Thursday at 4:45pm (February 2nd-April 20th). These hour-long classes will be facilitated by IC writing students and include exercises, prompts, and opportunities to workshop original pieces. To register, visit http://www.libraryinsight.com/eventdetails.asp?jx=nnv&lmx=921784&v=3
- Renowned Local Authors Launch Spring 2017 Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series (kick-off February 9th). Award-winning local authors will kick-off the Spring 2017 Barbara & David Zalaznick Reading Series on Thursday, February 9th, 4:30pm at Rhodes-Rawlings Auditorium in Cornell’s Klarman Hall. The Richard Cleaveland Memorial Reading features poet and writer Alice Fulton and fiction writer Helena Maria Viramontes. All events in the Reading Series are free and open to the public. For more information visit english.cornell.edu/zalaznick
- Do you have what it takes to be a Bee-T-A member? IHS PTA has fielded a team, the “Bee-T-A”, for the IPEI annual adult spelling bee for the past several years. This is a terrific fundraiser for the Ithaca Public Education Initiative, which funds innovative grants for Ithaca School District teachers and schools. The deadline is drawing near to register as a spelling team for the 19th Annual IPEI Adult Spelling Bee on March 5th. If you think that you’re a good speller, or, just want to have a great time raising money for a terrific organization, please join the team! We need 2 or 3 contestants. The deadline for spelling team entry is February 10th.
If you are thinking about joining the IHS PTA team, the “Bee-T-A”, please contact Esther Racoosin (email@example.com).
- Mayor Svante Myrick declares February 11th “Walk a Mile Day.” The Ithaca and Tompkins County community is invited to a celebration showcasing Vitamin L’s new video of its iconic song “Walk a Mile.” The event will be held at Cinemapolis Theater on February 11th from 2:00-3:30pm.
- FABG General Meeting (Monday, February 13th, 5:30-7:00pm in Kulp Lounge, IHS). Everyone is invited to the Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) general meeting on Monday, February 13th, 5:30-7:00pm in Kulp Lounge in the IHS Performing Arts Center. The meeting will include arts updates from David Brown and interim Fine Arts Director Steve Beamish, music teacher Karla Notarianni, and art teacher Ana Goldsmith.
- The New Jim Crow Community Read (February 13th, 5:30pm, BJM gym). The next event in the New Jim Crow Community Read will be Monday, February 13th at 5:30pm in the BJM gym. Hosted by Civic Ensemble, this event “Make America Safe Again” focuses on Chapter 5 of “The New Jim Crow” by Michelle Alexander. Refreshments and childcare provided. For more information and upcoming events, http://multiculturalresourcecenter.org/bookread
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, February 15th, 4:30pm). TCPL’s Young Adult Book Club will meet at Buffalo Street Books on Wednesday, February 15th at 4:30pm for a discussion of “Charles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faith.” Students in grades 6-12 are welcome. Snacks and refreshments provided. For more information, contact Teen Services Librarian Regina DeMauro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BOCES Career and Tech 10th grade visitation day (March 2nd, 9:00-10:45am). Any 10th grade student interested in exploring their Career and Tech programs should see Ms. Sullivan in the Main Office to register and get your field trip permission form. All forms must be returned by February 15th – there will be no exceptions.
- IHS Chamber Music Recital (Thursday, February 16th, 7:00-9:00pm). All are welcome to enjoy IHS’s Chamber Music Recital on February 16th from 7:00-9:00pm in the IHS Room Black Box Theatre.
- The Learning Web can help IHS students explore careers. The Learning Web can help IHS students (who live in Town of Ithaca, Village of Lansing, Village of Cayuga Heights, or the Town of Caroline) through career exploration tours and volunteer apprenticeships. Whatever your interest, the Learning Web can help you find an opportunity that can provide insight and hands on experience in your field of interest. If interested, please contact Isaac Piha or 607-275-0122.