The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 1/22/20
- IHS Seniors: $500 NYS PTA Advocacy Award (due 1/24)
- IHS January 2020 Exams (1/21-1/24)
- IHS Athletic Updates (Senior Nights 1/30-2/8)
- FAGB Mini-Grants (due 2/1)
- ICSD Community Conversations (next 2/4)
- IHS Code Red Build & Open House (2/8)
- IHS Winter Formal (2/8)
- IHS School Closet – gently used items welcomed
- IHS Course Scheduling (February 2020)
- IHS Casino Night Volunteers Needed (event 3/13)
- IHS Annual ”We See You” Candids (due 3/15)
- AP Exams (5/4-15)
- AP Bulletins Available
- Spring 2020 Standardized Test Dates (SAT/ACT)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (1/23-4/30)
- IC Women in Math Day (2/8)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (2/19)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (registration starts Jan 2020, event 3/1)
- YES Summer Jobs Program (accepting applications Mar 2020)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 3/18)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/january-22nd/
- IHS Seniors: $500 NYS PTA Advocacy Award (deadline January 24th). The Susanne Smoller Commitment to Advocacy Youth Award will be given to one high school senior to encourage them to pursue post-secondary education or training and to continue their active engagement in advocacy in the areas of HIV/AIDS, the LGBTQ+ community, mental health, social justice or substance abuse. Application deadline is Friday, January 24th.
- IHS January 2020 Exams (Tuesday, January 21st – Friday, January 24th). Best of luck!
- January 2020 Regents Review Schedule
- January 2020 Exam Schedule
- Transportation, Cafeteria, and Library
- IHS Athletics Updates
2019-20 Winter Sports Senior Nights!!
- Girls basketball- January 30th,2020 6:45pm; Bliss Gym
- Wrestling- January 31st, 2020 5:45pm; IHS
- Boys basketball – February 4th 2020 6:45pm; Bliss Gym
- Boys Hockey-February 8th, 2020 12pm; Cass Park
2019-2020 Capital Improvement Timeline-ICSD Athletics:
- Pool (Repairs): February 24, 2020- August 14, 2020
- Moresco Stadium (Replace Track, Bleachers, Press box, and Turf): June 1, 2020- October 10, 2020
- Tatascore Field (Drainage, fencing and other improvements): May 31, 2021-August 27, 2021
- Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants (deadline, Saturday, February 1, 2020). Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants for ISCD art, music, and drama teachers.
- ICSD Community Conversations – Join us! (Next: February 4th, 7:00pm, Enfield Community Center) These community conversations are intended to engage all members of our community to help create a vision for our district as we discuss our long-range fiscal planning. We look forward to hearing all of your ideas, thoughts, and different strategies. Upcoming locations and dates: February 4th (Enfield Community Center), and March 17th (Tompkins County Public Library). All of the community conversations will begin at 7:00 p.m.; they will follow Board of Education Committee Work Sessions, which are also open to the public.
- IHS Code Red Robotics Build Season and Open House (Saturday, February 8th, 1:00-4:00pm, IHS Cafeteria). Ithaca High School’s Code Red Robotics team is hosting its annual community Open House on Saturday, February 8th from 1:00-4:00pm in the IHS cafeteria and technology wing (accessible from the Lake St. entrance.). This free and open event highlights the work that Code Red Robotics does every year with tours of a typical day during build season, an opportunity to interact with team members, and activities for Families and members of the community.
- IHS Winter Formal (Saturday, February 8th, 7:00-10:00pm, Statler Hotel). IHS’s only “dressy” all-school dance! Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020 at Cornell’s Statler Hotel Terrace from 7 to 10 pm. Winter Formal tickets will be on sale during lunch period from Wednesday, Feb. 5th to Friday, Feb. 7. All IHS students are welcome and may bring a guest who is enrolled in a high school or GED program.
- IHS School Closet. Did you know IHS has a School Closet? The librarian at IHS created a student closet that has small toiletries, shoes, and clothing which students can borrow. With the colder weather there is a need for gently used warmer clothing and coats. If you have any unused clothing or available toiletries at home please drop them off at the school office. Thank you!
- IHS 2020-21 Course Scheduling (February 2020). Keep your eyes and ears open for upcoming 2020-21 course scheduling, which typically takes place early-mid February. The final deadline to make any course selection changes is ealy-mid May. Scheduling information available on the IHS Student Services website.
- IHS Senior Casino Night-Volunteers Needed (Friday, March 13th). The senior class event, Casino Night, will take place on March 13th. Volunteers are needed to help with decorating, refreshments, raffle donations and running the games. If you can help, please contact Debbie Whitehead at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-365-7412.
- IHS Annual Updates (“We see you” through March 15th). The IHS Yearbook is having a candid photograph drive. We are asking students, staff, and families to send us photographs of students in class, in different school related activities (clubs, sports etc). We also want photos of students at work, students on the weekend and the ever popular seniors with their high school aged siblings and seniors “then and now”. The 2020 yearbook “we see you” drive begins now and runs through March 15th. We want to have everyone in the yearbook multiple times. Why not make sure we have a good photo of you and your friends to include. Email photos to Ithaca.email@example.com or upload at yearbookordercenter.com (code is 8812). You can also upload via the HJEshare app (school code ITHACA). Half our book will be submitted to the printer by Feb 1st so submit your photos today!
- AP Exams (May 4-15th). For students enrolled in AP classes–May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams.
- Attention students taking AP Exams in May: AP Bulletins to help you prepare for the exams are online, but a limited number of hard copies are now available to be picked up in the College and Career Office.
- Upcoming Standardized Spring 2020 Testing Dates. If your student is planning ahead for Spring testing, here are the upcoming dates:
- SAT: March 14, 2020 (register by February 14, 2020); May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
- SAT Subjects Tests: May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020). Pro tip–AP exams are great prep for SAT Subject tests.
- ACT: April 4, 2020 (register by February 28, 2020) and June 13, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (Thursdays, January 23-April 30, 4:30-5:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to flex their creative muscles in this weekly after school writing workshop on Thursdays, beginning January 23 and running through April 30, from 4:30 to 5:30 PM, in the Library’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. NOTE: The workshop will not meet March 12. Teens may attend a couple of sessions or all of them; each week will offer something different, and attendance every week is not required. These one-hour workshops will be led by volunteers from Ithaca College, and they will involve a variety of prompts, exercises, and opportunities to workshop pieces. Advance registration is preferred, but drop-ins are always welcome. Register online at www.tcpl.org/events/teen-writing-workshops-23. For more information, please contact Teen Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (607) 272-4557, extension 274.
- 3rd annual IC Women in Math Day (Saturday, February 8th, 10:30am-2pm; registration deadline February 6th). What do math, free food, and the art of paper folding have in common? IC Women in Math Day! The third annual IC Women in Math Day will take place at Ithaca College on Saturday, February 8th, 2020 from 10:30am-2pm. This program is designed for female high school students and their families and is open to any high school student interested in mathematics. Engage with other high school students and explore through hands-on activities how math and origami can help us explore outer space. There is no cost to participate in the event and lunch will be provided. Accompanying adults are welcome and encouraged to participate in all activities.
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, February 19th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Programming Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults in grades 6-12 to a monthly book discussion series. The group will meet Wednesday, February 19th from 4:30-5:30pm in the Thaler/Howell Programming Room. For the February meeting, participants will read and discuss One Man Guy, by Michael Barakiva. Michael Barakiva will also appear for a meet and greet on February 14th. Copies of the book are available for participants from the Teen Services office. Snacks and drinks provided. For more information, contact Teen Services at email@example.com.
- Save the Date: IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (team registration starts January 2020; event Sunday, March 1st). We will start taking team registrations for the 2020 Adult Spelling Bee starting in January 2020! Spelling Bee teams consist of three spellers. Teams can be sponsored by a company or your team can crowdfund. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
- YES Summer Jobs Program (accepting applications starting March 2020). Youth Employment Service (YES) is a program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau. The YES Summer Jobs Program puts about 180 teens (ages 14-20) to work in the community at over seventy different worksites. Jobs include camp counseling, working with local banks and offices, farming and gardening, working with food and in retail stores, working with children and the elderly, and more! Teens work up to 120 hours, usually around 20 hours per week over the course of six weeks. All jobs pay $11.10 an hour. Who Qualifies: All teens ages 14-20 who live within the City of Ithaca are eligible. Teens ages 14-20 living within Tompkins County who qualify for free or reduced price lunch may be eligible. Teens ages 14-20 who are first time workers living in the Towns of Ithaca, Caroline, Enfield, and Danby and the Villages of Lansing and Cayuga Heights may be eligible. Priority is to serve teens who are 14-15 years old and/or first-time workers.
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, March 18th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.