The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 1/8/20
- IHS Morning Munch (1/9)
- IHS PTA Meeting (1/13)
- ICSD Cold Weather Advisory (1/6-3/1)
- Linguistics NALCO (IHS info session 1/14)
- IHS Casino Night Volunteers Needed
- AP Exam Updates (SSD by 1/17)
- No School: ICSD MLK Jr. Holiday (1/20)
- IHS January 2020 Exams (1/21-1/24)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (registration starts Jan 2020, event 3/1)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/8)
- IHS Annual
- IHS Athletic Updates
- IHS Student Clubs
- IHS Daily Announcements
- TCPL Winter Reading Challenge (12/14-1/31)
- FAGB Mini-Grants (due 2/1)
- ICSD Community Conversations (next 2/4)
- Spring 2020 Standardized Test Dates (SAT/ACT)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/january-8th/
- IHS Morning Munch (IPEI) (Thursday, January 9th). Donations of food are needed for this Thursday, January 9th for Morning Munch – breakfast compliments of IHS families. Repeatedly, teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of parents and guardians for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. We need your help! Please consider making a donation:
- Fresh Fruit—We welcome fresh fruit (apples, bananas, clementines) that are easy for teachers to grab on the go and require no preparation on your part!
- Purchased Food—A variety of purchased food makes a good choice for the Munch–including breakfast pastry, muffins, donuts, cookies, granola bars, you name it.
- Homemade Baked Goods—Everyone loves to see the homemade goodies that make the Munch so personal! Homemade items including but not limited to fruit crisp, banana (or other) bread, muffins, coffee cake, scones, and breakfast casseroles make a great morning treat.
- Gift Cards or Cash/check to IHS PTA–These would be helpful for the following months. Each month we purchase yogurt and fruit for yogurt parfaits along with Ithaca Bakery bagels and cream cheese. Wegmans, BJ’s, and Ithaca Bakery gift cards are all good choices that help cover this expense.
Food may be brought to room F36 (enter through F35) near the cafeteria on Thursday morning or dropped off in the Main Office. Early drop-offs (prior to Thursday) can be arranged with one of the PTA Morning Munch Coordinators (see contacts below). Please contact Patricia Sipple at email@example.com if you plan to send in a donation or would like to help at the breakfast.
IHS PTA Morning Munch Coordinators: Patricia Sipple (firstname.lastname@example.org); Melissa Rachlinski (email@example.com); Linda Galanthay (firstname.lastname@example.org); Laurie Morse (email@example.com); Deborah Whitehead (firstname.lastname@example.org); Elsa Hyde (email@example.com)
- IHS PTA Meeting (Monday, January 13th, 6:30-8:00pm, Activities Room). All are welcome as we kick-off the new year. On the agenda: Discuss the IHS Student Closet. The librarian at IHS created a Student Closet that has small toiletries, shoes, and clothing which students can borrow. With the colder weather there is a need for gently used warmer clothing and coats. If you have any unused clothing or available toiletries at home, please drop them off at the school office or bring them to the next PTA meeting. Thank you!
- ICSD Cold Weather Advisory (January 6-March 1). To protect students in severe cold weather (wind chill of zero or colder), the Transportation Department will follow the procedures below:
- Bus drivers will give students extra time to get to the bus. Students who can see the bus stop from their house can stay inside until they see the bus approaching.
- Drivers must make all stops even if students who are usually waiting at the road are not out.
In addition, additional stops will be made so students who typically walk to school can ride a bus that morning:
- High School and Boynton buses will make additional stops downtown at approximately 8:35 a.m. ( #65 Tompkins Co. Library, #34 Southside Center, #70 3rd and Hancock).
- Dewitt buses will make stops at Salem and Birchwood Dr. North, and Winston Court and the Walkway, at approximately 8:45 a.m. (Route 56)
Due to these measures we anticipate that many secondary buses will run a few minutes later than normal that morning.
- Linguistics Olympiad (NACLO) (Thursday, January 23, 2020; info session at IHS January 14th at 3:45pm, K20). The Cornell Department of Linguistics is again hosting the Linguistics Olympiad (NACLO) on January 23, 2020. NACLO is a pencil and paper contest in which students use analytical skills to solve puzzles in languages that they do not know. Through solving the puzzles, students learn something about the structure of human languages and how computers can process them. The contest introduces students to possible careers in linguistics, languages, and computer science. The target audience for NACLO is high schoolers (9-12th grades). NACLO has no prerequisites and no registration fee. We will offer an information/training session at IHS, on Tuesday January 14, 3:45pm, K20, hosted by Andrew King. More info is available here.
- IHS Senior Casino Night-Volunteers Needed (Friday, March 13th). The senior class event, Casino Night, will take place on March 13th. Volunteers are needed to help with decorating, refreshments, raffle donations and running the games. If you can help, please contact Debbie Whitehead at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-365-7412.
- AP Exam Updates (submit SSD accommodation by January 17th). For students enrolled in AP classes–new this year. The following steps are required if you/your student is enrolled in an AP class and plan to take the AP exam in May:
- By January 17th: Deadline to submit an accommodation request to College Board through SSD Online. IHS’ SSD coordinator is Margie Shaw (email@example.com). If you have an IEP or 504 and receive school-based accommodations, you must have your accommodations approved by the College Board prior to exam.
- May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams
7 No School: ICSD MLK Jr. Holiday (Monday, January 20th). List of MLK Jr. celebration activities coming soon.
- IHS January 2020 Exams (Tuesday, January 21st – Friday, January 24th). Best of luck! Helpful links:
- January 2020 Regents Review Schedule
- January 2020 Exam Schedule
- Transportation, Cafeteria, and Library
- Save the Date: IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (team registration starts January 2020; event Sunday, March 1st). We will start taking team registrations for the 2020 Adult Spelling Bee starting in January 2020! Spelling Bee teams consist of three spellers. Teams can be sponsored by a company or your team can crowdfund. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, January 8th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. Grants deadlines for the 2019-20 school year are January 8th and March 18th. For more information, click here.
- IHS Annual Updates
- The Yearbook is working hard to make this years Annual the most inclusive ever. We are asking students, staff and parents to submit photos for use in the book. We are looking for photos of students in class, in clubs, sports, choir, band, orchestra, and engaged in any activities they enjoy. We need candids of Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. We also need photos of Seniors with their hs aged sibling, Seniors at Work, Seniors with friends they have had for a long time (two photos- one photo from younger days and one of same students today). Please submit by uploading at yearbookordercenter.com (school code 8812), HJe-Share app (school code ITHACA), or sending to email@example.com. All information can be found on ICSD website page devoted to the IHS ANNUAL
- IHS Athletics Updates
2019-2020 Capital Improvement Timeline-ICSD Athletics:
|Start Date||Location||Work being done||Timeline|
|February 24, 2020||Pool||Pool repairs||February 24, 2020- August 14, 2020|
|June 1, 2020||Moresco Stadium||Replace Track, Bleachers, Press box, and Turf||June 1, 2020- October 10, 2020|
|May 31, 2021||Tatascore Field (Baseball)||Drainage, fencing and other improvements||May 31, 2021-August 27, 2021|
Upcoming Senior Nights:
2019-20 Winter Sports Senior Nights!!
Girls Hockey -January 17th, 2020 6:45pm; Cass Park
Boys Hockey-February 8th, 2020 12pm; Cass Park
Wrestling- January 31st, 2020 5:45pm; IHS
Boys basketball – February 4th 2020 6:45pm; Bliss Gym
Girls basketball- January 30th,2020 6:45pm; Bliss Gym
Boys Swim and Dive- January 9th, 2020 5:45pm; IHS Pool
- IHS Student Clubs. So many fantastic involvement opportunities. Something for everyone ranging from leadership to leisure to service and everything in between. Checkout the list of clubs here.
- IHS Daily Announcements. Did you know IHS Daily Announcements are posted online? Lots of great information is communicated to students through Daily Announcements and sometimes that information doesn’t make it home.
- TCPL Winter Reading Challenge (December 14, 2019-January 31, 2020). Tompkins County Public Library is pleased to announce its annual Winter Reading Challenge, which begins December 14th and runs through January 31st. Children and teens can pick up a frequent reader card from either Youth or Teen Services reference desk starting December 14th. They can then fill in a bubble representing every hour they read or each program they attend. Cards can be returned by January 31st to be entered into a gift card raffle. For more information, contact the Youth (ext. 275) or Teen Services (ext. 289) at 607-272-4557.
- Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants (deadline, Saturday, February 1, 2020). Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Mini-Grants for ISCD art, music, and drama teachers.
- ICSD Community Conversations – Join us! (Next: February 4th at Enfield Community Center) These community conversations are intended to engage all members of our community to help create a vision for our district as we discuss our long-range fiscal planning. We look forward to hearing all of your ideas, thoughts, and different strategies. Upcoming locations and dates: February 4th (Enfield Community Center), and March 17th (Tompkins County Public Library). All of the community conversations will begin at 7:00 p.m.; they will follow Board of Education Committee Work Sessions, which are also open to the public.
- Upcoming Standardized Spring 2020 Testing Dates. If your student is planning ahead for Spring testing, here are the upcoming dates:
- SAT: March 14, 2020 (register by February 14, 2020); May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).
- SAT Subjects Tests: May 2, 2020 (register by April 3, 2020); and June 6, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020). Pro tip–AP exams are great prep for SAT Subject tests.
- ACT: April 4, 2020 (register by February 28, 2020) and June 13, 2020 (register by May 8, 2020).