The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 6/12/19
- IHS Senior Prom Ticket Sales (6/12-14)
- IHS Freshmen Cookies & Cram (6/13)
- IHS NYS Regents (6/17-25)
- IHS PTA College Student Panel (6/18)
- IHS Senior Prom (6/22)
- IHS Rising Juniors & Seniors Morocco application (due 6/25)
- IHS Class of 2019 Graduation (6/27)
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- She Means Business Workshop
- TCPL Teen Art Exhibit (June 2019)
- TCPL Summer Reading Program
- TCPL: Costume Couture (6/24)
- Rotary Club of Ithaca Seeks Host Families (starting Fall 2019)
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT registration & test dates
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarship (deadline 8/15)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/june-12th/
- IHS Senior Prom Tickets on Sale (June 12-14th, 10:37am-1:52pm, IHS Cafeteria). Tickets will be on sale during lunch periods in the cafeteria from June 12 to 14 ONLY.
- IHS Freshmen: Cookies & Cram (June 13th, 3:30-6:30pm, IHS Cafeteria). Hosted by Link Crew. You got this Class of 2022!
- IHS New York State Regents Exam Schedule (June 17-25, 2019). Here is the link for IHS dates, times, and locations.
- IHS PTA College Student Panel, Tuesday, June 18th, 12:00pm, Kulp Lounge). Set up mainly for current Juniors (right after the U.S History Exam) but all are welcome. Q&A with IHS alums and current college students. What’s college really like? How hard is it to get along with roommates? Free pizza–woo hoo!
- IHS Senior Prom (Saturday, June 22nd, 7:00-10:00pm, Celebrations, Slaterville Rd.) IHS Seniors only. (One non-senior guest per IHS senior is allowed.) Tickets will be on sale during lunch periods from June 12 to 14 ONLY.
- IHS Rising Juniors & Seniors Morocco Exchange (accepting applications through Tuesday, June 25th). Are you interested in traveling to a far off country, experiencing a different culture, making new friendships and eating delicious food? From now to the end of June we will be accepting applications for next year’s Morocco trip. The trip is open to any students who will be juniors or seniors next year. Applications are available in the main office and also outside the math office in H216.
- IHS Class of 2019 Graduation (Thursday, June 27th, Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center). Mandatory graduation rehearsal is from 1:00-2:30pm followed by IHS Commencement from 7:00-9:00pm. Congratulations Class of 2019!
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- ICSD Athletics & Wellness Web Page
- Summer 2019 IHS Strength & Conditioning Room Schedule
- 2019-2020 Athletic Start Dates
- Registration on FamilyID for Fall teams opens July 19, 2019:
*If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any Fall sports they must be in good academic standing by the end of the 2019 school year. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. The athletic department is here to partner with you in order to support and empower your student. If you have any questions please contact us at 607-274-2155.
*Games and practices may be scheduled during school breaks. When you agree to be part of an athletic team it is an expectation that you will be attending all games and practices, including the ones that occur over breaks.
- She Means Business: Entrepreneurship summer camp for teenage girls (July 22-26, 8:30am-4:30pm, Alternatives Federal Credit Union). Alternatives Business CENTS (Community Enterprise Networking and Training Services) is collaborating with Girls Mean Business to create a unique educational experience for young women. She Means Business is a week-long entrepreneurial training program specifically designed for teenage girls ages 13-16. The registration fee to attend is $150.00*. Scholarships are available thanks to funding from the Legacy Foundation of Tompkins County. To register please visit here.
- TCPL Hosts New Teen Art Exhibit, Projects in Art History (June 2019). Tompkins County Public Library will display the artwork of teens during the month of June in the Library’s Avenue of the Friends. The exhibit, “Projects in Art History,” is curated by teacher Jessica Warner, and showcases the work of a group of teens studying the history of art from roughly the 1100s through the 1600s, through the exploration of materials and processes used at that time. The exhibit is open during the Library’s regular operating hours. All are free to view and enjoy.
- TCPL 2019 Summer Reading Programs (June 29th-August 10th). The Reading Programs start Saturday, June 29 and run through August 10, and include free programming for all ages. Teen Summer Reading Challenge (Grades 6-12 and homeschooling equivalent): Teens and preteens who participate in the Summer Reading Challenge will receive a free book of their choice when they register. They will receive a punch card and can earn one punch for each hour they read OR for each TCPL event they attend. They will receive a mochi squishy toy after receiving five punches, and each completed 5-punch card earns an entry into the end of summer prize raffle. Teens can enjoy free events all summer long at the Library, including crafting classes, a creative writing summer camp, a moon rover workshop, and more. Register and receive a punch card at the Library. For more information about the Youth Services Summer Reading Programs, contact the Youth Services Department at (607) 272-4557, ext 275 or visit https://www.tcpl.org/2019-summer-adventure.
- TCPL Costume Couture: Workshop for Teens: Drag Teen (Monday, June 24th, 4:00-6:00pm). TCPL invites teens to learn about using makeup and contouring to alter their appearance. Join artists Tilia Cordata and Kitana Scofflaw to use make-up for drag, cosplay, costuming, or any other purpose. This is the 4th installment of the 2019 Costume Couture series. Space is limited for this free program for teens in grades 6-12. Registration is required.
- Host Family Needed–Rotary Club of Ithaca (2019-20). This Fall, the Rotary Club of Ithaca will welcome Emiliano, a young man from Mexico who will attend Ithaca High School. Rotary Exchange students typically are hosted by 3 families, each for 12-14 weeks. Rotary provides support to both the host families and the student through Club members and counselors. Students receive a monthly stipend from Rotary to cover incidentals and arrive with medical insurance. Hosting provides an opportunity to develop friendships and broaden horizons. If you are interested in learning more about being a host family for Emiliano, please contact Claudia Miettunen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Linda Brisson (email@example.com).
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT Testing Dates. Want to knock out the SAT or ACT over the summer? Registration deadline is July 26th for the August 24th SAT. Registration deadline is August 16th for the September 14th ACT. (No test centers are scheduled in California or New York for the July ACT test date.)
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarships (deadline August 15, 2019). The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY).