The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 6/19/19 – LAST E-NEWS OF 2018-19
- IHS NYS Regents (6/18-25)
- TCPL Regents Study Hours (6/18-25)
- IHS Senior Prom (6/22)
- IHS Rising Juniors & Seniors Morocco application (due 6/25)
- IHS Class of 2019 Graduation (6/27)
- IHS Yearbooks Still Available
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- R2P The Wiz (6/21-23)
- National Learn to Row Day (6/22)
- TCPL Summer Reading Program (6/29-8/10)
- TCPL: Comics Workshop (7/13-8/3)
- She Means Business Workshop (7/22-26)
- Rotary Club of Ithaca Seeks Host Families (starting Fall 2019)
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT registration & test dates
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarship (deadline 8/15)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/june-19th/
- IHS New York State Regents Exam Schedule (June 18-25, 2019). Here is the link for IHS dates, times, and locations.
- Study Hours During Finals and Regents Testing Weeks at TCPL (June 18-25, 2019). In support of local middle and high school students during finals and Regents testing weeks, Tompkins County Public Library will offer quiet study hours, testing study guides, and destressing activities Tuesday, June 18 through Tuesday, June 25, 2018. Quiet hours will run from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, and quiet destressing activities will be available throughout the day in the Library’s Teen Center. For more information, please contact Teen Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 272-4557, extension 274.
- IHS Senior Prom (Saturday, June 22nd, 7:00-10:00pm, Celebrations, Slaterville Rd.) IHS Seniors only. (One non-senior guest per IHS senior is allowed.)
- IHS Rising Juniors & Seniors Morocco Exchange (accepting applications through Tuesday, June 25th). Are you interested in traveling to a far off country, experiencing a different culture, making new friendships and eating delicious food? From now to the end of June we will be accepting applications for next year’s Morocco trip. The trip is open to any students who will be juniors or seniors next year. Applications are available in the main office and also outside the math office in H216.
- IHS Class of 2019 Graduation (Thursday, June 27th, Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center). Mandatory graduation rehearsal is from 1:00-2:30pm followed by IHS Commencement from 7:00-9:00pm. Congratulations Class of 2019!
- IHS Yearbooks Still Available. There are still Yearbooks available. If you would like a Yearbook e-mail Ms Reitenbach or stop by her office in Student Services.
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- ICSD Athletics & Wellness Web Page
- Summer 2019 IHS Strength & Conditioning Room Schedule
- 2019-2020 Athletic Start Dates
- Registration on FamilyID for Fall teams opens July 19, 2019:
*If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any Fall sports they must be in good academic standing by the end of the 2019 school year. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. The athletic department is here to partner with you in order to support and empower your student. If you have any questions please contact us at 607-274-2155.
*Games and practices may be scheduled during school breaks. Â When you agree to be part of an athletic team, it is an expectation that you will be attending all games and practices, including the ones that occur over breaks.
- There will be a fall (JV & varsity) program meeting for coaches, athletes, and caregivers on August 26, 2019 in Kulp Auditorium.
- R2P: The Wiz at State Theatre: June 21-23. Ease on down the road in this “The Super Soul Musical” reimagining of Dorothy’s journey through Oz. R2P is again teaming up with Circus Culture to bring you The Wiz as you’ve never seen it before! June 21-23: Fri & Sat @ 7pm, Sat & Sun @ 2pm. Performances at The State Theatre of Ithaca! Get tickets now: VISIT*: 105 West State St, Ithaca / CALL*: 607-277-8283 / CLICK: www.stateofithaca.org. *Note: Convenience fees are not charged when tickets are purchased on the phone or in person at the box office. Run time: approximately 2 1/2 hours.
- National Learn to Row Day (June 22nd, 10:00am-1:30pm, Cascadilla Boathouse Stewart Park). National Learn to Row Day is open to everyone aged middle school and older–must be able to swim. All equipment and instruction is provided free. No registration required, just show up and we’ll get you rowing! Starting at 10:00am on Saturday, June 22nd, Cascadilla Boat Club will host the US Rowing National Learn to Row Day. Come to our boathouse and get a tour, learn the basic rowing stroke on an “erg” rowing machine, then try out the real thing on the water. Boats and crews will depart roughly every 20 minutes. Plan on spending about an hour with us. We’ll try to get everyone on the water; but, space is limited.
- TCPL 2019 Summer Reading Programs (June 29th-August 10th). The Reading Programs start Saturday, June 29 and run through August 10, and include free programming for all ages. Teen Summer Reading Challenge (Grades 6-12 and homeschooling equivalent): Teens and preteens who participate in the Summer Reading Challenge will receive a free book of their choice when they register. They will receive a punch card and can earn one punch for each hour they read OR for each TCPL event they attend. They will receive a mochi squishy toy after receiving five punches, and each completed 5-punch card earns an entry into the end of summer prize raffle. Teens can enjoy free events all summer long at the Library, including crafting classes, a creative writing summer camp, a moon rover workshop, and more. Register and receive a punch card at the Library. For more information about the Youth Services Summer Reading Programs, contact the Youth Services Department at (607) 272-4557, ext 275 or visit https://www.tcpl.org/2019-summer-adventure.
- TCPL: Kids and Teens Learn to Create Comics (July 13-August 3). Tompkins County Public Library is pleased to host two special Comics Workshop Series this summer. The sessions will run on Saturdays, from July 13 through August 3. Children ages 12 and under can attend weekly from 10:00 to 11:00 AM in the Library’s Makerspace, and teens may attend from 11:15 AM to 12:30 PM in the Library’s Digital Lab. These classes will be led by comic artist Ten Van Winkle, and are appropriate for all–from novices to experienced artists. Participants will learn about the process of making comics, from drawing, to character creation, to storytelling. Attendance at all classes is not required, but each week participants will learn new techniques to build upon. Registration is not required for either session, but it is appreciated for the teen session; register online at https://www.tcpl.org/events/making-comics-teens-2.
- She Means Business: Entrepreneurship summer camp for teenage girls (July 22-26, 8:30am-4:30pm, Alternatives Federal Credit Union). Alternatives Business CENTS (Community Enterprise Networking and Training Services) is collaborating with Girls Mean Business to create a unique educational experience for young women. She Means Business is a week-long entrepreneurial training program specifically designed for teenage girls ages 13-16. The registration fee to attend is $150.00*. Scholarships are available thanks to funding from the Legacy Foundation of Tompkins County. To register please visit here.
- Host Family Needed–Rotary Club of Ithaca (2019-20). This Fall, the Rotary Club of Ithaca will welcome Emiliano, a young man from Mexico who will attend Ithaca High School. Rotary Exchange students typically are hosted by 3 families, each for 12-14 weeks. Rotary provides support to both the host families and the student through Club members and counselors. Students receive a monthly stipend from Rotary to cover incidentals and arrive with medical insurance. Hosting provides an opportunity to develop friendships and broaden horizons. If you are interested in learning more about being a host family for Emiliano, please contact Claudia Miettunen (email@example.com) or Linda Brisson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT Testing Dates. Want to knock out the SAT or ACT over the summer? Registration deadline is July 26th for the August 24th SAT. Registration deadline is August 16th for the September 14th ACT. (No test centers are scheduled in California or New York for the July ACT test date.)
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarships (deadline August 15, 2019). The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY).