The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 6/23/2021 – See you next school year 2021-2022!
- IHS Athletics Updates
- IHS Key Dates
- June 2021 Regents (6/17-24)
- IHS Yearbook Pick-up
- SAT and ACT (2021-22 dates posted)
- YES 2021 Summer Jobs Program
- TCPL Sketching in the Park (Wed, 7/7-8/11)
- TCPL Virtual Teen Writing Workshop (Mon, 7/12-8/30)
- 2021-22 Excelsior Scholarship is Open (deadline 8/31)
- FABG Grants Deadlines (10/15 & 2/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/june-23rd/
1. IHS Athletics Updates
The ICSD Athletics staff would like to thank you for your ongoing support during this unprecedented year. We look forward to the Fall 2021 season, and below are the start dates:
JV and Varsity Sports
- Jul. 23 FamilyID registration opens
- Aug. 23 First Day of Tryouts
Have a wonderful and safe summer!
2. IHS Key June Dates: Regents Exam Days (June 22-25th) and Staff Last Day (June 25th).
3. June 2021 Regents. Students should only be on campus if they have a scheduled Regents exam or have an appointment pass from a teacher. Open for quiet study during June 22-24 (8:15am-12:15pm). ELA, Living Environment, Algebra 1, and Physical Setting/Earth Science. Final days of June and IHS Regents schedule is available.
4. IHS Yearbook Pick-up. Yearbooks are distributed in the Welcome Center during the lunch period from 11:45-12:45 each day school is in session. Yearbook team will also distribute from 3:30pm-4:30pm, Monday – Thursday. People can reach out to Lyn Reitenbach, firstname.lastname@example.org, 607-882-5498 to arrange for an alternate time. Copies are still available to purchase at yearbookordercenter.com by entering the code 8812. Students and others may also bring a check made out to IHS Annual for $75, or pay cash. Those who pre-ordered their book must sign for their book when they pick it up.
5. Upcoming SAT and ACT dates: SAT: 2021-22 SAT Dates (Anticipated): August 28, 2021, October 2, 2021, November 6, 2021, December 4, 2021, March 12, 2022, May 7, 2022, June 4, 2022. ACT: 2021-22 ACT Dates (National): September 11, 2021, October 23, 2021, December 11, 2021, February 12, 2022, April 2, 2022, June 11, 2022, July 16, 2022 (no NYS testing centers).
6. YES 2021 Summer Jobs Program. The Youth Employment Service (YES) is a free program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau. The mission of YES is to empower teens to grow into flourishing adults. YES offers work-readiness training, support in finding employment, employment opportunities paid directly by us, and a leadership and civic engagement program. Some of our programs have eligibility requirements, but all teens in Tompkins County, NY who are 14+ qualify for at least some of our services. To apply and find out more information: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIoZg-DdD4TBfYoyh3xPZ5Q8D1sLhuG-cW_awEXGbV2PvL8w/viewform
7. TCPL Sketching in the Park Series (Wednesdays, July 7th-August 11th, 6:00pm-7:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library is pleased to offer Sketching in the Park, an outdoor series on Wednesdays from 6:00 to 7:30 pm, July 7 through August 11. Teens and other interested participants are invited to join local artist Ten Van Winkle for weekly in-person drawing classes at Thompson Park (also known as Bell Park) at the intersection of Cascadilla Avenue and North Cayuga Street. Participants are encouraged to bring their own art materials, but some will be provided to those who need them. Chairs and blankets are also encouraged. No previous drawing experience is necessary. Registration is not required, but appreciated. To learn more, visit https://www.tcpl.org/events/sketching-park-4. Questions? Contact Regina DeMauro at email@example.com.
8. TCPL Virtual Teen Writing Workshop (Mondays, July 12th-August 30th, 4:30-5:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library is pleased to offer a virtual Teen Writing Workshop series on Mondays from 4:30 to 5:30 pm, July 12 through August 30. Teens are invited to explore writing through these casual, virtual weekly workshops. Participants will be given different writing prompts each week as well as a chance to share their work. The series is suitable for teens entering grades 6-12, or their homeschool equivalent. To learn more and register to receive the Zoom link for participation, visit https://www.tcpl.org/events/virtual-teen-writing-workshop-6. Questions? Contact Regina DeMauro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. 2021-22 Excelsior Scholarship is Open (deadline August 31st). The Excelsior Scholarship application is now open! The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The program covers tuition for eligible SUNY and CUNY students. For the 2021-22 academic year, families who earned $125,000 or less in the tax year 2019 are eligible to apply.
10. Fine Arts Boosters Group Announces 2021-22 Grant Deadlines (October 15, 2021 and February 1, 2022). The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) announces grant deadlines for the 2021-2022 school year to support Ithaca City School District students’ arts learning. FABG Grants application deadlines are October 15, 2021 and February 1, 2022. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive, by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org. Grant applications are submitted electronically.