The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 06/08/2022
- IHS Casino Night Thank You
- IHS Attendance Office Contacts (A-K and L-Z)
- IHS Athletics Updates
- Morocco Cultural Exchange (application due 6/10)
- IHS Annual Arrived
- IHS 2023 Annual Meeting (6/15)
- NYS Regents (6/15-23)
- IHS Scholarship Opportunities
- CCO Youth Orchestra Season Finale Concert (6/11)
- SAT and ACT Dates
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/june-8th-2/
1. Casino Night Thank You! Class of 2022 Casino Night was a fun and fabulous night. Thank you to all of the volunteers, people who contributed their time and resources, and IHS staff. A more complete thank you on the horizon, but the Casino Night folks wanted to say a quick thank you soon after the event.
2. IHS Attendance Office Update: Until further notice, please send all Attendance Office emails to BOTH Marilyn Sgrecci at email@example.com AND Brenda Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org for students with last names A-K only. For students with last names L-Z please send emails to Jeff Dubert at email@example.com.
3. IHS Athletics Updates
- ICSD Athletics is hosting an NCAA Q&A session on Wednesday, June 8th in the Multipurpose Room at 4:30pm. This session is for scholars interested in playing college athletics and their families. Contact the Athletics Office at 274-2155 with any questions.
- Spring NLI Signing Celebration on Thursday, June 9th in Bliss Gym at 5:30 pm.
- 2022-2023 Sports Season Start Dates and Family ID
- Varsity and JV (9th -12th grade sports).
- Fall: August 22, 2022
- Winter: November 14, 2022
- Spring: March 13, 2023
- Modified (7th & 8th grade sports)
- Fall: September 7, 2022
- Winter: November 28, 2022
- Spring: March 20, 2023
- Varsity and JV (9th -12th grade sports).
- Summer Community Opportunities
- Please see the Athletics Website for the most recent updates throughout the school year and contact the Athletics Office at 274-2155 with any questions.
4. Morocco Cultural Exchange Trip (applications due Friday, June 10th). The trip is available to rising Juniors and Seniors for an 8-day trip during 2023 February Break. Students will visit possible cities including Casablanca, Meknes, Rabat, Chefchaouen, and Marrakech. Acceptance based on the quality of essays and references. For more information, please visit the Dashboard for the online application.
5. The 2022 Annual Has Arrived! Distribution started on Monday 6/6 and will run until the end of classes on June 14th. A distribution table will be set up during the lunch periods from (3rd through 5th) each day school is in session. Distribution will be set up in the Quad or if there is bad weather we will switch to the cafeteria. We will also distribute from 3:45 pm-4:15 pm, Monday – Thursday outside by the Welcome Center when the weather allows. Those who pre-ordered their book must sign for their book when they pick it up at the distribution table.
Copies are still available to purchase at yearbookordercenter.com to an external site. by entering the code 8812. Students and others may also bring a check made out to “IHS Annual” for $75, or pay cash. People can also reach out to Lyn Reitenbach, firstname.lastname@example.org , 607-882-5498 to arrange an alternate time. Seniors who are eligible for free and reduced lunch can purchase for a reduced price with check or cash by connecting with Ms. Reitenbach. The cost of these books is $55.
6. 2023 Come Join the Annual Crew (minicamp session June 15th, 12:00-4:00pm, Library Lab 1)! Attention classes of ’23, 24, 25, 26: The Yearbook team is beginning to create the 2023 Annual and we would love your help! We will have a minicamp where new and old members will begin to take their knowledge to the next level, learning the software and discussing ideas for next year. This will take place on June 15th from 12-4pm in Library lab 1. We need artists and athletes, writers and illustrators, people involved in drama, choir, orchestra and band; people who participate in clubs and anyone interested in design and layout to be part of creating next years Yearbook.Members can join anytime however the Spring is when we plan the following years book and have more time to train people on the software. You can join Yearbook as a Club or take it as a class and earn .5 elective credits each year. Join us on Tuesdays in Library Lab 1 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
7. NYS Regents June 2022 (June 15-23, 2022). The NYS Regents are scheduled June 15-23rd). Note: The New York Regents exam (scheduled June 1st) for United States History and Government (Framework) has been canceled due to content “that has the potential to compound student trauma caused by the recent violence in Buffalo.”
8. IHS Scholarship Opportunities
- 2022-23 Excelsior Scholarship application is open May 24 – August 31. In combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship covers any remaining gap in tuition expenses, after other federal and state grants and scholarships are applied, up to $5,500. Tuition rates are based on 2022-23 resident tuition rate charged by SUNY ($7,070) or CUNY ($6,930).Check eligibility requirements to apply.
9. Cayuga Chamber Orchestra Youth Orchestra Season Finale Concert (features many IHS students), Saturday, June 11th, 4:00pm, Ford Hall, Ithaca College. The CCO Youth Orchestra offers a triumphant and hopeful conclusion to our fifth season, which presents works by William Grant Still, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and Aaron Copland. Featuring CCOYO Concerto Competition winner Aliza Proulx, as well as guest artists London McDaniel on Tenor banjo and Leslyn McBean-Clairborne as Narrator of the Lincoln Portrait. To make our music accessible to all, attendance is unticketed and free – we just ask that you wear a mask. To support our music-making, if you are able, donations of any amount are welcome.
10. SAT and ACT upcoming dates. SAT dates: Anticipated 2022-23 early dates of August 27, 2022 and October 1, 2022. ACT dates: June 11, 2022 and *July 16, 2022 (register by June 17). *No test centers are scheduled in New York for the July test date.