The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 6/9/2021
- IHS Athletics Updates
- IHS Senior Class Gift Fund
- Spring NLI Signing Celebration (6/11)
- IHS Key Dates (6/11-25)
- IHS 2021 Awards (6/16 & 6/19)
- June 2021 Regents (6/17-24)
- IHS Yearbook Pick-up-starting today
- IHS Junior Solar Sprint Event (6/12)
- Coddington Road Community Community Clean-up (6/12) – volunteers needed
- SAT and ACT (2021-22 dates posted)
- YES 2021 Summer Jobs Program
- Volunteer Community Service Program (due 6/10)
- 2021-22 Excelsior Scholarship is Open (deadline 8/31)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/june-9th/
1. IHS Athletics Updates
- This marks the final week of athletic competitions and, in accordance with CDC guidelines, no masks will be required while attending outdoor events.
- We would like to thank our scholar-athletes, families and officials for their support and flexibility during this unprecedented year, and look forward to the 2021-2022 season.
- Registration for Fall sports is July 23-August 18 through FamilyID.
- Go Little Red!
2. IHS Senior Class Gift Fund. The IHS Senior Class Gift Fund is an endowed fund held by the Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) that was started by the senior class of 2004. Through the generous support of each senior class, the fund has grown and now supports three unique awards: appreciating a great new (not-yet tenured) teacher, recognizing a school club, and acknowledging the impact of a dedicated staff member who has worked at IHS for five or more years, all selected by the senior class. The soon-to-be graduates of IHS will select and recognize the 2021 award recipients during the Senior Awards Convocation on June 19th! In order to keep this tradition going, please consider making a donation to the IPEI Senior Class Gift Fund. For more information about the fund and to donate, please visit www.ipei.org and click on the “Donate” button in the upper right corner. Your contribution is fully tax-deductible. Please know that all donations, no matter the amount, are greatly appreciated!
3. IHS Spring NLI Signing Celebration (Friday, June 11th). We will be having our Spring NLI Signing Celebration on Friday, June 11th in Bliss Gym. This signing celebration is open to student-athletes continuing their academic and athletic careers at any level. Please send Stephanie Valletta an email (firstname.lastname@example.org ) if your student would like to be a part of the celebration! *If a student participated in the fall signing celebration, they won’t be able to join again.
4. IHS Key June Dates (June 11th-25th): Last day for students to receive assigned work (June 11th); accepted through June 18th); Last days of classes (June 14th, 15th, 16th, and 18th); IHS Graduation (June 17th); A-Synch Friday (June 18th); Regents Exam Days (June 17th, June 22-25th); All-Staff Work Day (June 21st); and Staff Last Day (June 25th).
5. IHS 2021 Awards (Wednesday, June 16th and Saturday, June 19th). There are 2 ceremonies: Underclass Awards (Wednesday, June 16th at 4:00pm, IHS Quad) and Senior Awards (Saturday, June 19th at 11:00am, IHS Quad). The academic awards ceremonies are invitation-only. If you (or your student) are receiving an award, you will get an invitation in the mail at your home address with more details.
6. June 2021 Regents (June 17-24th). Students should only be on campus if they have a scheduled Regents exam or have an appointment pass from a teacher. Open for quiet study during June 22-24 (8:15am-12:15pm). ELA, Living Environment, Algebra 1, and Physical Setting/Earth Science. Final days of June and IHS Regents schedule is available.
7. IHS Yearbook Pick-up – starting today. The 2021 Annual is due to arrive at IHS today. The yearbooks staff will organize them and begin distributing them from the Welcome Center this afternoon. Going forward we will have a table distributing books during the lunch period from 11:45-12:45 each day school is in session. Where we distribute from will be weather-dependent. We will certainly have someone in the Welcome Center, and hopefully a table in the Quad or cafeteria. We will also distribute from 3:30pm-4:30pm, Monday – Thursday. People can also reach out to Lyn Reitenbach, email@example.com, 607-882-5498 to arrange for an alternate time. Copies are still available to purchase at yearbookordercenter.com by entering the code 8812. Students and others may also bring a check made out to IHS Annual for $75, or pay cash. Those who pre-ordered their book must sign for their book when they pick it up.
8. IHS Junior Solar Sprint Event (Saturday, June 12th, 10:00am-12:oopm, Lake St. parking lot). The Ithaca High School Technology and Engineering Department will have our Junior Solar Sprint race at Ithaca High School! We’re hosting it in the Lake St. parking lot of Ithaca High School (near the tennis courts), instead of the Cayuga St. lot. In case of rain, we will use one of the IHS gyms, accessible via the main entrance. Elementary and Middle school students from across the district will race homemade solar cars in an event from 10 am until 2 pm. There will also be a chance to see the IHS Tech Trailer, which is a mobile STEM lab. Due to COVID-19 concerns, we will be requiring that all attendees fill out a brief Google Form upon arriving at the event. There’s also a pre-registration form that all students intending to race their cars must fill out ahead of time. The pre-registration form can be found at this link: forms.gle/YWZduAF7nbxhNn5S7.
9. Coddington Road Community Center Seeks Volunteers for Community Clean-up (Saturday, June 12th, 9:30-12:30pm). Coddington Road Community Center, located at 920 Coddington Road, is currently seeking volunteers for a cleanup on Saturday June 12th. We’ll be there from 9am to 12:30pm, but volunteers are welcome for any length of time. We have a large assortment of projects, including gardening, mulching the playgrounds, trash removal, trail work, summer shelter setup and more. Children are welcome to join their families! Individual volunteers can please sign-up as a volunteer at this link. Group volunteers can email their intent to attend at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Upcoming SAT and ACT dates: SAT: 2021-22 SAT Dates (Anticipated): August 28, 2021, October 2, 2021, November 6, 2021, December 4, 2021, March 12, 2022, May 7, 2022, June 4, 2022. ACT: 2021-22 ACT Dates (National): September 11, 2021, October 23, 2021, December 11, 2021, February 12, 2022, April 2, 2022, June 11, 2022, July 16, 2022 (no NYS testing centers).
11. YES 2021 Summer Jobs Program. The Youth Employment Service (YES) is a free program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau. The mission of YES is to empower teens to grow into flourishing adults. YES offers work-readiness training, support in finding employment, employment opportunities paid directly by us, and a leadership and civic engagement program. Some of our programs have eligibility requirements, but all teens in Tompkins County, NY who are 14+ qualify for at least some of our services. To apply and find out more information: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIoZg-DdD4TBfYoyh3xPZ5Q8D1sLhuG-cW_awEXGbV2PvL8w/viewform
12. Volunteer Community Service Program for Youth Ages 11-17 in Tompkins County (applications due June 10th). Need something to do this Summer? Give back to your community as a part of the Learning Web’s Community Service Program. Session 1: July 6-22 and Session 2: July 26-August 12. Teens living in the Town of Ithaca, Caroline, Cayuga Heights, or Village of Lansing contact Meghan (Meghan@learning-web.org). Teens living in the City of Ithaca, Trumansburg, Newfield, Danby, Enfield, Dryden, or Groton contact Sarah (Sarah@Learning-web.org). For more information call 607-275-0122.
13. 2021-22 Excelsior Scholarship is Open (deadline August 31st). The Excelsior Scholarship application is now open! The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The program covers tuition for eligible SUNY and CUNY students. For the 2021-22 academic year, families who earned $125,000 or less in the tax year 2019 are eligible to apply.