The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 3/13/19
- IHS PTA Meeting (3/20)
- MIOSM Combined Band Concert (3/13)
- NO SCHOOL (3/15 & 3/18)
- IHS Dress Drive (due 3/19)
- IHS Casino Night Help Needed (event 4/5)
- IHS Yearbook Updates
- Upcoming SAT and ACT dates
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- IHS Daily Announcements
- IHS Clubs
- Save the Date: IHS Spring Musical (4/12-14)
- IYB Accepting Applications for Summer 2019
- YES Accepting Applications for Summer 2019
- Girls Who Code (3/17)
- TCPL Maker Mondays (3/18)
- IPEI Grants Deadline (3/20)
- IPEI Adult Spelling Bee Results
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (3/20)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (3/21 & 3/22)
- IHS Senior Scholarship Opportunities:
- SWE-2019 Margaret R. Brewster Scholarship (deadline 3/29)
- NYSIR Scholarships (deadline 4/1)
- CMC Foundation Scholarship (4/8)
- Finger Lakes Runners Club Scholarship (4/12)
- 2019 Cecilia Montaner-Vargas Award (5/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/march-13th/
- IHS PTA Meeting (Wednesday, March 20th, 7:00pm Activities Room). The next IHS PTA meeting will be March 20th at 7pm at the high school in the Activities Room. We’ve heard concerns about the violence in the school so Principal Trumble is planning to be there to answer your questions. We look forward to seeing you there.
- Music in Our Schools Month (MIOSM) Combined Band Concert (Wednesday, March 13th, 7:00-9:30pm, Kulp Auditorium). Not to miss! All are welcome to enjoy MIOSM and “the wall of sound.” Come and celebrate our fabulous young musicians.
- NO SCHOOL (Friday, March 15th and Monday, March 18th). Heads up Friday, March 15th is a vacation day and Monday, March 18th is a District Conference Day (no school for students). For more information check the 2018-19 district calendar.
- IHS Dress Drive (accepting dresses through Tuesday, March 19th at IHS and 3/25 at Gee June Bridal). Prom season brings financial challenges to many families. There are pressures on students to afford the ticket, the dinner, the transportation, and of course the dress. To help ease the burden, Gee June Bridal is partnering with IHS to organize a Dress Drive. IHS will help collect dresses to be given away on March 30 at the drive itself. Students and families can bring dresses to the IHS Main Office from now until March 19th, and dresses can be dropped off until March 25 at Gee June Bridal. Please help our students get closer to their dream of a perfect Prom by donating dresses! Every student whose family donates a dress will be entered to win a $150 gift card AND a tux rental from Gee June Bridal. Students who are in need of a free dress should plan to attend the drive party on March 30. Thank you for your generosity!
- IHS Seniors: Casino Night–Help Needed! (Event: Friday, April 5th). On Friday April 5, 2019 the Senior class will host Casino Night at Ithaca High School. We are looking for volunteers to make this event amazing for our students and we would love your help! Volunteers are needed for the committees listed below:
Refreshments: Arrange donations of finger food and drinks donated by local businesses and senior families. Organize food and drink the night of and serve hungry & thirsty students and adults running the games tables
Prizes: solicit, gather, organize and distribute prizes donated by local businesses or organizations
Decorations: Work with class officers to determine a theme and turn the cafeteria into a casino with all the supplies located in the activities building
Banking: Create, copy, organize and distribute fake money to students and game tables and keep tables stocked with money throughout the night
Games: Run a game table (Poker, Hold’em, Craps, Roulette etc.)
Please consider helping out: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0449A5A822A0F94-casino
Questions? Contact Carolann or Maria at: IHSCasino@gmail.com. Event volunteers will also be needed for: Set-up; Clean-up; and Various things during the event. Sign up for event volunteers will be sent in March. It takes a village to build a casino–come join us!
- IHS 2019 Annual On Sale Now. The IHS Annual, Ithaca High School’s Yearbook, wanted to alert you to a few important deadlines and other information related to the yearbook.
- Photos of Seniors and their Ithaca HS aged siblings AND photos of a group (2 or more) seniors 4 or more years ago AND a photo of the same students (arranged like you are in the “Then” photo) for the “then and Now” spread. We can take the Now photo if you submit the then photo but it would be best if you can submit both.
- Senior congratulatory ADS and Business ADS – due April 1 at the LATEST! Images and text for all ADS can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. See the Yearbook page on the ICSD website for information.
- Yearbook sales – online sales end on April 27th. After that date I cannot guarantee there will be books available so please act early if you would like a Yearbook. Go to yearbookordercenter.com and enter out code of 8812.
- Upcoming SAT and ACT dates. Want to knock out some testing this Spring? SAT and SAT Subject Tests (great to take while prepping for corresponding AP exam) and ACT dates are coming up. Upcoming SAT/SAT Subject dates: Saturday, May 4th (registration deadline April 5th); and Saturday, June 1st (registration deadline May 3rd). Upcoming ACT dates: Upcoming ACT dates: Saturday, June 8th (registration deadline May 3rd).
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- Northeast and IHS fields: Beginning June 21st until further notice the athletic fields at Northeast and IHS will be closed to outside groups due to maintenance work.
- Spring Sports Sign Up:
Modified: Registration opens February 25th and closes March 24th. Tryouts will begin March 25th.
If your student is interested in trying out or participating for a Spring sport they must be in good academic standing. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. Please note if your student is currently failing two classes they will not be permitted to try out for a spring sport per the ICSD academic board policy. The athletic department is here to partner with you in order to support and empower your student. If you have any questions please contact us at 607-274-2155.
- IHS Daily Announcements. We love our students, but sometimes they are not the best at sharing information. Check out IHS Daily Announcements to follow daily IHS news & updates.
- IHS Clubs. IHS has something for everyone! Get involved, meet some new people, and have fun. For a complete list check out this link.
- SAVE THE DATE: IHS Spring 2019 Musical…Rent, School Edition (April 12-14th, Kulp Auditorium). Save the date for the sure to sell out shows the weekend of April 12-14th.
- Ithaca Youth Bureau Accepting Applications for Summer 2019. Cass Park and Recreation Department Summer Seasonal Opportunities: Assistant managers and cashiers at Cass Park Pool, Lifeguards at Cass Park Pool or Stewart Park Camp (camp requires waterfront certification), Summer camp counselors and specialists, and Swim instructors. Interviews and hiring for summer is typically done during April and May.
- YES Summer Jobs Program. For local teens interested in summer work, especially 14 and 15 year olds, please visit the Youth Employment Service main page to see if you are eligible and download an application. We will begin accepting applications for the 2019 YES Summer Jobs Program in March.
- Girls Who Code (Sunday, March 17th-April 28th, 12:00-1:30pm Middle School & 2:00-3:30pm High School, Upson Hall Computer Lab, Rm 225). Are you a middle school or high school student? Want to change the world with your fingertips? Come join us and bring your ideas to life with the power of coding! Women in Computing at Cornell (WICC) has partnered with Girls Who Code and Accenture to bring the Girls Who Code program to Ithaca! Students will be able to attend free weekly workshops where they will get the chance to learn the basics of computer science by using hardware and software to create their own projects and tackle real world problems. The class is open to all genders. No experience necessary! If you’re interested, please fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/5nducCwBv9aW36Gj1
- TCPL Maker Mondays for Teens to Resume (Mondays, March 18th-May 20th, 4:00-6:00pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to drop-in hours in its Makerspace, every Monday, starting February 4 and going through May 20, 2019, from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. These drop-in hours “Maker Mondays for Teens” provide people aged 12 to 17 the opportunity to express their creativity while becoming familiar with the equipment in the Library’s Makerspace. Tutorials will be provided for the Makerbot 3D Printer, Epilogue Helix Laser Cutter, and Cricut. These free drop-in sessions do not require registration. For more information, contact Joah at email@example.com.
- IPEI Grant Deadline (Wednesday, March 20th). Applications for IPEI Grants: Red and Gold Grants, Teacher Grants, and Connecting Classrooms Grants are due by midnight on March 20.
- Speaking of IPEI…Congratulations to the IthacaSTEM Hexaplexes in the Adult Spelling Bee! On March 3rd IPEI celebrated its 21st annual Adult Spelling Bee. A crowd of 250 spectators joined the fun as the IthacaSTEM Hexaplexes won the competition by correctly spelling tintinnabulation, pizzicato and anodyne, among other challenging words. The event featured 30 teams of spellers competing for the illustrious Fuzzy Bee Trophy, alongside a silent auction featuring more than 40 items donated by local businesses and vendors. The event raised approximately $25,000 in funding for IPEI’s grants programs. THANK YOU to ALL sponsors and spellers.
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, March 20th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Programming Room). The Tompkins County Public Library (TCPL) invites young adults grades 6-12 to a monthly book discussion series. For March, the book selection is Flame in the Mist, by Renee Ahdieh. Free copies of the book are available for participants from the Teen Services Librarian, Regina DeMauro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (Thursdays, March 21st-May 2nd & Fridays, March 22nd-April 26th, 4:30-5:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites local teens to flex their creative muscles in weekly after school writing workshops. There will be two different workshops, one meeting on Thursdays and one on Fridays. Both workshops will meet at 4:30 to 5:30 pm in the Library’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. Teens may sign up for a couple of sessions or all of them; each week will offer something different, and attendance every week is not required. These one-hour workshops will be led by Writopia-trained students from Ithaca College, and they will involve a variety of prompts, exercises, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are appropriate for people in grades 6-12, and their homeschool equivalent. Advance registration is preferred, but drop-ins are always welcome. Register online for the Thursday workshop at https://www.tcpl.org/events/thursday-teen-writing-workshop. Register online for the Friday workshop at https://www.tcpl.org/events/friday-teen-writing-workshop.
- IHS SENIOR $CHOLARSHIP$ (the list keeps growing):
Society of Women Engineers-2019 Margaret R. Brewster Scholarship (deadline March 29, 2019). The 2019 Twin Tiers SWE Scholarship is for high school seniors who identify as females and who would like to be an engineer or computer scientist. Scholarship recipients will be notified in mid-May. Five (5) non-renewable scholarships worth $2000 each will be awarded.
NYSIR Student Scholarships (deadline, Monday, April 1st). Every year, NYSIR awards three sets of scholarships to college-bound seniors from NYSIR member school districts and BOCES.
- Cristin Bambino Scholarships are awarded on a regional basis. This scholarship is awarded annually to special education students for their outstanding efforts in working through challenges to complete high school and be accepted at a college or university. Seven regional winners receive $3,000 scholarships, a separate runner-up receives a $4,000 award and a grand winner receives a $5,000 scholarship.
- Paul Jensen Scholarships are awarded to two individuals on a statewide basis. This scholarship is awarded to college-bound students who have demonstrated inspired design and building skills during their high school careers and wish to pursue their talents in college. One scholarship is in the amount of $5,000, and the other has a value of $3,000.
- Joseph Goncalves Scholarships are awarded to college-bound seniors who have demonstrated a record of involvement and work for a cause or organization that actively promotes social justice, equal opportunity, relief of human suffering, or similar humanitarian aspirations. $5,000 grand award and a $3,000 runner-up grant are awarded on a statewide basis.
CMC Foundation Scholarship (deadline April 8th). The Cayuga Medical Center Foundation Scholarship is a merit-based award designed to provide financial support to graduating seniors intending to continue their education in pursuit of a health center career. All material must be submitted to Brenda Powers by April 8, 2019. Before you begin the application, please read the cover letter.
Finger Lakes Runners Club Scholarship (deadline April 12th). The Finger Lakes Runners Club awards two unrestricted $1,000 scholarships to be awarded to two deserving high school seniors who participated in their school’s cross-country and/or track & field teams. Eligible students must reside in Tompkins County or a surrounding county. FLRC must receive the application by April 12, 2019.
2019 Cecilia Montaner-Vargas Award (deadline, May 1, 2019). The Latino Civic Association of Tompkins County is pleased to announce the Cecilia Montaner-Vargas Award, an opportunity for a Latina/o graduating high school senior to be awarded a scholarship totaling $800. This scholarship is to be used towards any future academic program. The deadline for submission is May 1, 2019. Please send the complete application by email (email@example.com) or by mail (LCA of Tompkins County, PO Box 6532, Ithaca, NY 14851).