The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 3/27/19
- IHS Casino Night Help Needed (event 4/5)
- IHS Spring Musical: Rent, School Edition (4/12-14)
- ICSD Spring Recess (4/15-19)
- IHS Yearbook Updates
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- IHS Daily Announcements
- IHS Clubs
- Upcoming SAT and ACT dates
- IYB Accepting Applications for Summer 2019
- YES Accepting Applications for Summer 2019
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (3/28 & 3/29)
- TCPL: Rosa Tatuata Sicilian Dance Music (3/30)
- TCPL Maker Mondays (4/1)
- LACS Screening of “The Hunting Ground” (4/5)
- R2P: Alice in Wonderland (4/5-7)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (4/10)
- TCPL: Teens Create Comics (4/20)
- HealthQuest Camp at IC (7/8-12)
- IHS Senior Scholarship Opportunities:
- SWE-2019 Margaret R. Brewster Scholarship (deadline 3/29)
- NYSIR Scholarships (deadline 4/1)
- CMC Foundation Scholarship (4/8)
- Finger Lakes Runners Club Scholarship (4/12)
- 2019 Cecilia Montaner-Vargas Award (5/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/march-27th/
- IHS Seniors: Casino Night–Help Needed! (Event: Friday, April 5th). On Friday April 5, 2019 the Senior class will host Casino Night at Ithaca High School (7:00-10:00pm). We are looking for volunteers to make this event amazing for our students and we would love your help! Volunteers are needed for the committees listed below:
- Prizes: solicit, gather, organize and distribute prizes donated by local businesses or organizations
- ***Decorations***: Work with class officers to determine a theme and turn the cafeteria into a casino with all the supplies located in the activities building
- Banking: Create, copy, organize and distribute fake money to students and game tables and keep tables stocked with money throughout the night
- Games: Run a game table (Poker, Hold’em, Craps, Roulette etc.)
Please consider helping out: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0449A5A822A0F94-casino
Questions? Contact Carolann or Maria at: IHSCasino@gmail.com. Event volunteers will also be needed for: Set-up; Clean-up; and Various things during the event. Sign up for event volunteers will be sent in March. It takes a village to build a casino–come join us!
- IHS Spring 2019 Musical: Rent, School Edition (April 12-14th, Kulp Auditorium). Save the date for the sure to sell out shows the weekend of April 12-14th. Evening shows on Friday and Saturday; matinee on Sunday.
- ICSD Spring Recess (April 15-19th). Heads up, ICSD will have Spring Recess the Week of April 15th. For more information, check the district calendar.
- IHS 2019 Annual On Sale Now. The IHS Annual, Ithaca High School’s Yearbook, wanted to alert you to a few important deadlines and other information related to the yearbook.
- Photos of Seniors and their Ithaca HS aged siblings AND photos of a group (2 or more) seniors 4 or more years ago AND a photo of the same students (arranged like you are in the “Then” photo) for the “then and Now” spread. We can take the Now photo if you submit the then photo but it would be best if you can submit both.
- Senior congratulatory ADS and Business ADS – due April 1 at the LATEST! Â Images and text for all ADS can be sent to email@example.com. See the Yearbook page on the ICSD website for information.
- Yearbook sales – online sales end on April 27th. After that date I cannot guarantee there will be books available so please act early if you would like a Yearbook. Go to yearbookordercenter.com and enter out code of 8812.
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- Spring Sports Underway: Come and cheer on our student athletes. Keep track of athletic events on ScheduleGalaxy link or app.
- 2019-2020 Athletic Start Dates
- Mental Performance Coaches Workshop
- A great resource for families: ICSD Athletics & Wellness Web Page
- IHS Daily Announcements. We love our students, but sometimes they are not the best at sharing information. Check out IHS Daily Announcements to follow daily IHS news & updates.
- IHS Clubs. IHS has something for everyone! Get involved, meet some new people, and have fun. For a complete list check out this link.
- Upcoming SAT and ACT dates. Want to knock out some testing this Spring? SAT and SAT Subject Tests (great to take while prepping for corresponding AP exam) and ACT dates are coming up. Upcoming SAT/SAT Subject dates: Saturday, May 4th (registration deadline April 5th); and Saturday, June 1st (registration deadline May 3rd). Upcoming ACT dates: Upcoming ACT dates: Saturday, June 8th (registration deadline May 3rd).
- Ithaca Youth Bureau Accepting Applications for Summer 2019. Cass Park and Recreation Department Summer Seasonal Opportunities: Assistant managers and cashiers at Cass Park Pool, Lifeguards at Cass Park Pool or Stewart Park Camp (camp requires waterfront certification), Summer camp counselors and specialists, and Swim instructors. Interviews and hiring for summer is typically done during April and May.
- YES Summer Jobs Program. For local teens interested in summer work, especially 14 and 15 year olds, please visit the Youth Employment Service main page to see if you are eligible and download an application. We will begin accepting applications for the 2019 YES Summer Jobs Program in March.
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshops (Thursdays, March 28th-May 2nd & Fridays, March 29th-April 26th, 4:30-5:30pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites local teens to flex their creative muscles in weekly after school writing workshops. There will be two different workshops, one meeting on Thursdays and one on Fridays. Both workshops will meet at 4:30 to 5:30 pm in the Library’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. Teens may sign up for a couple of sessions or all of them; each week will offer something different, and attendance every week is not required. These one-hour workshops will be led by Writopia-trained students from Ithaca College, and they will involve a variety of prompts, exercises, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are appropriate for people in grades 6-12, and their homeschool equivalent. Advance registration is preferred, but drop-ins are always welcome. Register online for the Thursday workshop at https://www.tcpl.org/events/thursday-teen-writing-workshop. Register online for the Friday workshop at https://www.tcpl.org/events/friday-teen-writing-workshop.
- TCPL: Rosa Tatuata Sicilian Dance Music (Saturday, March 30th, 11:30am-12:00pm, Ezra Cornell Reading Room). The musical group Rosa Tatuata will perform a concert of roots music from Southern Italy. Audience members can learn to dance the tarantella or sit and tap their toes. Free admission and all are welcome.
- TCPL Maker Mondays for Teens to Resume (Mondays, April 1st-May 20th, 4:00-6:00pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to drop-in hours in its Makerspace, every Monday, starting February 4 and going through May 20, 2019, from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. These drop-in hours “Maker Mondays for Teens” provide people aged 12 to 17 the opportunity to express their creativity while becoming familiar with the equipment in the Library’s Makerspace. Tutorials will be provided for the Makerbot 3D Printer, Epilogue Helix Laser Cutter, and Cricut. These free drop-in sessions do not require registration. For more information, contact Joah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free Screening of â€œThe Hunting Ground” (Friday, April 5th, 6:00-8:00pm, LACS Blackbox Theatre). All are welcome to watch a free screening of “The Hunting Ground”–a powerful documentary about sexual assault on college campuses. The event is hosted by the Advocacy Center’s teen activism group, ACTion.
- R2P: Alice in Wonderland (April 5-7th, Theatre at the Shops at Ithaca Mall). Join Alice down the rabbit hole into a world of adventure! Featuring the younger half of Running to Places (R2P’s) talented company, this version of the classic story packs in even more songs than you remember from the movie! Many of wonderful and talented IHS students performing.
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, April 10th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults grades 6-12 to a monthly book discussion series. The group will meet Wednesday, April 10th, from 4:30-5:30pm in the Thaler/Howell Programming Room. For April, the book selection is Hey, Kiddo, by Jarrett Krosoczka. Free copies of the book are available for participants from the Teen Services Librarian, Regina DeMauro (email@example.com).
- TCPL: Teens Create Comics (Saturdays, April 20-May 18th, 11:15am-12:30pm, Digital Lab). Tompkins County Public Library is please to host a comic creation series for teens on Saturdays, April 20-May 18th, 11:15am-12:30pm, Digital Lab. (Series for 12 and under held 10:00-11:00am.) Classes led by comic artist Ten Van Winkle. Participants will learn about the process of making comics, from drawing, to character creation, to storytelling. Attendance at all classes not required, but encouraged. Registration not required, but appreciated for the teen session.
- Current 10-12th grade students: Interested in a healthcare profession? Ithaca College will be hosting the health career exploration camp, HealthQuest on July 8-12, 2019. During camp, students will learn about careers in allied health such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech-language pathology, athletic training and much, much more! This five day and four night camp will also give students a taste of college life by staying in dorms on campus, eating at dining halls and interacting with professors and students through hands-on workshops and informative presentations. The cost to attend which covers rooming, food and travel provided during the course of camp is $425. Scholarships are available to reduce the fee on a case by case basis.
- IHS SENIOR $CHOLARSHIP$ (the list keeps growing):
Society of Women Engineers-2019 Margaret R. Brewster Scholarship (deadline March 29, 2019). The 2019 Twin Tiers SWE Scholarship is for high school seniors who identify as females and who would like to be an engineer or computer scientist. Scholarship recipients will be notified in mid-May. Five (5) non-renewable scholarships worth $2000 each will be awarded.
NYSIR Student Scholarships (deadline, Monday, April 1st). Every year, NYSIR awards three sets of scholarships to college-bound seniors from NYSIR member school districts and BOCES.
- Cristin Bambino Scholarships are awarded on a regional basis. This scholarship is awarded annually to special education students for their outstanding efforts in working through challenges to complete high school and be accepted at a college or university. Seven regional winners receive $3,000 scholarships, a separate runner-up receives a $4,000 award and a grand winner receives a $5,000 scholarship.
- Paul Jensen Scholarships are awarded to two individuals on a statewide basis. This scholarship is awarded to college-bound students who have demonstrated inspired design and building skills during their high school careers and wish to pursue their talents in college. One scholarship is in the amount of $5,000, and the other has a value of $3,000.
- Joseph Goncalves Scholarships are awarded to college-bound seniors who have demonstrated a record of involvement and work for a cause or organization that actively promotes social justice, equal opportunity, relief of human suffering, or similar humanitarian aspirations. $5,000 grand award and a $3,000 runner-up grant are awarded on a statewide basis.
CMC Foundation Scholarship (deadline April 8th). The Cayuga Medical Center Foundation Scholarship is a merit-based award designed to provide financial support to graduating seniors intending to continue their education in pursuit of a health center career. All material must be submitted to Brenda Powers by April 8, 2019. Before you begin the application, please read the cover letter.
Finger Lakes Runners Club Scholarship (deadline April 12th). The Finger Lakes Runners Club awards two unrestricted $1,000 scholarships to be awarded to two deserving high school seniors who participated in their school’s cross-country and/or track & field teams. Eligible students must reside in Tompkins County or a surrounding county. FLRC must receive the application by April 12, 2019.
2019 Cecilia Montaner-Vargas Award (deadline, May 1, 2019). The Latino Civic Association of Tompkins County is pleased to announce the Cecilia Montaner-Vargas Award, an opportunity for a Latina/o graduating high school senior to be awarded a scholarship totaling $800. This scholarship is to be used towards any future academic program. The deadline for submission is May 1, 2019. Please send the complete application by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail (LCA of Tompkins County, PO Box 6532, Ithaca, NY 14851).