The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 5/1/19
- IHS Morning Munch, last one of the school year (5/2) – goodies needed
- NYSSMA Volunteers Needed (5/3-4)
- IPEI Disc Golf Event (5/4)
- IHS Link Crew (applications due 5/6)
- IHS AP Exam Dates (May 6-10 & 13-17)
- ICSD Open House (5/14)
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- IHS Junior Prom (5/18)
- IHS Spring National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (5/23)
- ICSD School Day (5/24) – not a holiday
- IHS Senior Trip (6/11)
- IHS NYS Regents (6/17-25)
- IHS Senior Prom (6/22)
- Upcoming SAT and ACT dates (registration deadline 5/3 for June 2019)
- TCPL: Teens Create Comics (5/4)
- SEPTA Doug’s Fish Fry Fundraiser (5/6)
- TCPL Maker Mondays (5/6)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (5/15)
- CCO Youth Orchestra – New Member Auditions (5/17)
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarship (deadline 8/15)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/may-1st/
- IHS Morning Munch (Thursday, May 2nd). IHS Teacher/Staff Breakfast. This is our last Morning Munch for this School Year! Donations of food are needed for this Â Thursday, May 2nd for Morning Munch–breakfast compliments of parents. Repeatedly, the teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of the parents for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. We need your help!
- Fresh Fruit: We welcome fresh fruit (apples, bananas, clementines) that are easy for teachers to grab on the go and no preparation on your part.
- Purchased Food: A variety of purchased food makes a good choice for the Munch–including breakfast pastry, muffins, donuts, cookies, granola bars you name it.
- Homemade Baked Goods: Yes, everyone loves to see the homemade goodies that make the Munch so personal. Homemade items including but not limited to brownies, fruit crisp, bars, cookies, banana bread, muffins, coffee cake and scones make a great morning treat.
- Gift CardsCash/check to IHS PTA: These would be helpful for the following months. Each month we purchase yogurt and fresh fruit for yogurt parfaits along with Ithaca Bakery bagels and cream cheese. Wegmans, BJ’s, and Ithaca Bakery gift cards are all good choices that help cover this expense.
Food may be brought to room F36 (enter through F35) near the cafeteria on Thursday morning or dropped off in the Main Office. Please contact one of the coordinators if you need to arrange an earlier drop off.
THANK YOU! IHS Morning Munch Coordinators (IHS Morning Munch Coordinators: Jaclene Weston, firstname.lastname@example.org; Linda Galanthay, email@example.com; Laurie Morse, firstname.lastname@example.org; Deborah Whitehead, email@example.com; Elsa Hyde, firstname.lastname@example.org; Patricia Sipple, email@example.com; Melissa Rachlinski, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- NYSSMA volunteers needed (May 3-4th at Boynton Middle School). Would you like to volunteer to help at the New York State Schools Music Association (NYSSMA) Solo and Ensemble Festival on May 3 or 4? It will be hosted by the ICSD and will be attended by more than 1400 students from several schools and counties. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) is looking for adult volunteers to help in the NYSSMA Office, which will be in the library of Boynton Middle School. If you have a couple of hours to help, please contact FABG Co-Presidents Alice Wu and Julie Hughes at email@example.com by May 1.
Additional questions about NYSSMA can be directed to Michael Allen, Boynton Band Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. FABG is an affiliate of the Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) and works in partnership with the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) to support and celebrate all the arts for all the kids.
- IPEI Disc Golf Event (Saturday, May 4th, Robison Disc Golf Course). Our disc golf event has been moved to Saturday, May 4, 2019. Never played before? That’s ok! Players from DiscIthaca will be on hand with a free clinic starting at 10:00 am. The tournament will start 11:30 am. To register for the tournament (beginners welcome), learn more about disc golf and support IPEI, click here. Meet us at the bottom of A Lot at the Robison Disc Golf Course on Cornell’s campus!.
- IHS Link Crew (applications due Monday, May 6th at 4pm Main Office). * Leaders need to reapply EVERY year. * Students may be recommended OR self-selected to apply.* Applications are outside the Main Office or K5. Informational sessions: Wednesday, April 24th at 8:15am in K5 and Thursday, April 25th 3:45-4:30pm in K5.
- 2019 AP Exam Dates (May 6-10 and May 13-17). Information coming soon about IHS test location, but you can find out AP exam dates here. AP scores are released to designated colleges, students, and high schools in July.
- ICSD Open House (Tuesday, May 14th). On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, the Ithaca City School District will host open houses at all school buildings. Open houses at the elementary schools will run from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Open houses at the secondary schools will run from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The purpose of these open houses is to provide prospective students and families an opportunity to view our schools and meet with building personnel.
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- 2019-2020 Athletic Start Dates
- A great resource for families: ICSD Athletics & Wellness Web Page
- Games and practices may be scheduled during school breaks. When you agree to be part of an athletic team it is an expectation that you will be attending all games and practices, including the ones that occur over breaks.
- No dogs or pets are allowed on campus at any athletic events
- If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any Fall sports they must be in good academic standing by the end of the 2019 school year. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. The athletic department is here to partner with you in order to support and empower your student. If you have any questions please contact us at 607-274-2155.
- IHS Junior Prom (Saturday, May 18th, 7:00-10:00pm, Johnson Art Museum, Cornell University.) IHS Juniors only. (One guest per IHS junior is allowed, though the guest must be enrolled in a high school or GED program.)
- IHS Spring National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (Thursday, May 23rd, 6:00pm, Black Box Theater). Â If you are planning to attend a Division, 1, 2, 3, or Junior College to play a sport, please sign up on the sheet outside of G207 or the Athletics Office. Â Please see Ms. Valletta or Ms. Little if you have any questions.
- ICSD School is Scheduled Friday, May 24th. Due to snow days this year, there will be school on Friday, May 24.
- IHS Senior Trip (Tuesday, June 11th, 6:00am-8:00pm, Six Flags Great Adventure). Times are approximate but will be updated as we get closer to the event. Tickets to the trip will be sold at least 2 weeks in advance, so seniors need to stay alert for announcements, emails, etc.
- IHS New York State Regents Exam Schedule (June 17-25, 2019). Here is the link for IHS dates, times, and locations.
- IHS Senior Prom (Saturday, June 22nd, 7:00-10:00pm, Celebrations, Slaterville Rd.) IHS Seniors only. (One non-senior guest per IHS senior is allowed.)
- Upcoming SAT and ACT dates. SAT and SAT Subject Tests (great to take while prepping for corresponding AP exam) and ACT dates are coming up. Upcoming SAT/SAT Subject dates: Saturday, June 1st (registration deadline May 3rd). Upcoming ACT dates: Upcoming ACT dates: Saturday, June 8th (registration deadline May 3rd).
- TCPL: Teens Create Comics (Saturdays, May 4-18th, 11:15am-12:30pm, Digital Lab). Tompkins County Public Library is please to host a comic creation series for teens on Saturdays, April 20-May 18th, 11:15am-12:30pm, Digital Lab. (Series for 12 and under held 10:00-11:00am.) Classes led by comic artist Ten Van Winkle. Participants will learn about the process of making comics, from drawing, to character creation, to storytelling. Attendance at all classes not required, but encouraged. Registration not required, but appreciated for the teen session.
- SEPTA Doug’s Fish Fry Fundraiser (Monday, May 6th 11:00am-6:00pm, CFCU East Hill Plaza). Doug’s Fish Fry ToGo! Fundraiser. Grab lunch or dinner to go and help raise funds for Ithaca City School District’s Special Education PTA (SEPTA).
- TCPL Maker Mondays for Teens to Resume (Mondays, May 6-20th, 4:00-6:00pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to drop-in hours in its Makerspace, every Monday, starting February 4 and going through May 20, 2019, from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. These drop-in hours “Maker Mondays for Teens” provide people aged 12 to 17 the opportunity to express their creativity while becoming familiar with the equipment in the Library’s Makerspace. Tutorials will be provided for the Makerbot 3D Printer, Epilogue Helix Laser Cutter, and Cricut. These free drop-in sessions do not require registration. For more information, contact Joah at email@example.com.
- TCPL: Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, May 15th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Programming Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults in grades 6-12 to a monthly book discussion series. The group will meet Wednesday, May 15th, 4:30-5:30pm, in TCPL’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. For May, the book selection is On the Come Up, by Angie Thomas. Free copies of the book are available for participants from the Teen Services Librarian, Regina DeMauro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- CCO Youth Orchestra – New Member Auditions (Friday, May 17th). New member auditions for our 2019-2020 season are on May 17th! We have openings in Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, and Strings. Audition information and the sign up form can be found on our website http://ccoithaca.org/education/youth-orchestra/.
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarships (deadline August 15, 2019). The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY).