The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 5/29/19
- IHS Staff and Teacher Appreciation Lunch (6/5) – goodies needed
- IHS Online Yearbook Order (extended deadline 5/31)
- IHS Spring National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (6/5)
- IHS Senior Trip (6/11)
- IHS Senior Prom Ticket Sales (6/12-14)
- IHS Quizbowl team takes 5th at National Competition
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- IHS NYS Regents (6/17-25)
- IHS Senior Prom (6/22)
- IHS Class of 2019 Graduation (6/27)
- TCPL Teen Art Exhibit (June 2019)
- TCPL: Costume Couture (6/5)
- Rotary Club of Ithaca Seeks Host Families (starting Fall 2019)
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT registration & test dates
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarship (deadline 8/15)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/may-29th/
- IHS Staff and Teacher Appreciation Luncheon (Wednesday, June 5, 2019). The annual Staff and Teacher Appreciation Luncheon is on Wednesday, June 5th. This is our chance to thank the teachers and staff for all their hard work in making IHS a special place. There are several ways you can help:
- Donating a dessert for the luncheon-either homemade or store bought. The more decadent, the better! A few gluten free and vegan desserts are also appreciated. Please sign up to bring a dessert here:
- Helping out on the day. Let us know if you would like to help with set-up (from 8 to10am) or clean-up (from 2 to 3:30). Please send us an email if you would like to help out.
- Send in a financial donation. Checks can be made out to IHS PTA with “appreciation luncheon” in the memo line. Have your student drop it off in the main office, or mail it to IHS PTA, 1401 N. Cayuga Street, Ithaca.
A big thank you to the following businesses for their generous support of the IHS Teacher and Staff Appreciation Luncheon: Aladdin’s Natural Eatery, Plenty of Posies, Early Bird Farm, Gimme Coffee, Michaleen’s Florist and Garden Center, and Cornell Laundry.
- IHS Yearbook Online Order Deadline Extended (Friday, May 31st). The deadline for online Yearbook orders has been extended until the end of May! If you would like to order the 2019 ANNUAL go to www.yearbookordercenter.com and enter code 8812. There are a limited number of copies left so don’t delay, order today!
- IHS Spring Signing Ceremony(Tuesday, June 5th, 6:00pm, Kulp). The Spring Signing Ceremony has been rescheduled to June 5th at 6:00 pm in IHS Kulp Glass Lounge. Come show support for athletes who have committed to college teams!
- IHS Senior Trip (Tuesday, June 11th, 6:00am-8:00pm, Six Flags Great Adventure). Bus leaves IHS 6:00am and expected to return 9:00pm.
- IHS Senior Prom Tickets on Sale (June 12-14th, 10:37am-1:52pm, IHS Cafeteria). Tickets will be on sale during lunch periods in the cafeteria from June 12 to 14 ONLY.
- IHS Quizbowl Team Takes 5th Place at National Competition. Congratulations to four members of the nationally-ranked IHS Quizbowl team: Isaiah Gutman, Julian Perry, Vaynu Kadiyali, and Kaelan Imani! The team traveled to Atlanta, GA over the Memorial Day weekend to compete in the National High School Championship Tournament (NAQT). Ithaca finished 5th, which is higher than any New York State team. On June 7-8, the team will travel to Reston, VA for PACE National Scholastic Championship. Congrats team!
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- A great resource for families: ICSD Athletics & Wellness Web Page
- -Summer 2019 IHS Strength & Conditioning Room Schedule
- –2019-2020 Athletic Start Dates Â
- ***Registration on FamilyID for Fall teams opens July 19, 2019***
- If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any Fall sports they must be in good academic standing by the end of the 2019 school year. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. The athletic department is here to partner with you in order to support and empower your student. If you have any questions please contact us at 607-274-2155.
- Games and practices may be scheduled during school breaks. When you agree to be part of an athletic team it is an expectation that you will be attending all games and practices, including the ones that occur over breaks.
- NOTICE: No dogs or pets are allowed on campus at any athletic events
- Spring Signing Ceremony has been rescheduled to June 5th at 6:00 pm in IHS Kulp Glass Lounge. Come show support for athletes who have committed to college teams!
- IHS New York State Regents Exam Schedule (June 17-25, 2019). Here is the link for IHS dates, times, and locations.
- IHS Senior Prom (Saturday, June 22nd, 7:00-10:00pm, Celebrations, Slaterville Rd.) IHS Seniors only. (One non-senior guest per IHS senior is allowed.) Tickets will be on sale during lunch periods from June 12 to 14 ONLY.
- IHS Class of 2019 Graduation (Thursday, June 27th, Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center). Mandatory graduation rehearsal is from 1:00-2:30pm followed by IHS Commencement from 7:00-9:00pm. Congratulations Class of 2019!
- TCPL Hosts New Teen Art Exhibit, Projects in Art History (June 2019). Tompkins County Public Library will display the artwork of teens during the month of June in the Library’s Avenue of the Friends. The exhibit, “Projects in Art History,” is curated by teacher Jessica Warner, and showcases the work of a group of teens studying the history of art from roughly the 1100s through the 1600s, through the exploration of materials and processes used at that time. The exhibit is open during the Library’s regular operating hours. All are free to view and enjoy.
- TCPL Costume Couture: Workshop for Teens: Drag Teen (Monday, June 24th, 4:00-6:00pm). TCPL invites teens to learn about using makeup and contouring to alter their appearance. Join artists Tilia Cordata and Kitana Scofflaw to use make-up for drag, cosplay, costuming, or any other purpose. This is the 4th installment of the 2019 Costume Couture series. Space is limited for this free program for teens in grades 6-12. Registration is required.
- Host Family Needed–Rotary Club of Ithaca (2019-20). This Fall, the Rotary Club of Ithaca will welcome Emiliano, a young man from Mexico who will attend Ithaca High School. Rotary Exchange students typically are hosted by 3 families, each for 12-14 weeks. Rotary provides support to both the host families and the student through Club members and counselors. Students receive a monthly stipend from Rotary to cover incidentals and arrive with medical insurance. Hosting provides an opportunity to develop friendships and broaden horizons. If you are interested in learning more about being a host family for Emiliano, please contact Claudia Miettunen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Linda Brisson (email@example.com).
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT Testing Dates. Want to knock out the SAT or ACT over the summer? Registration deadline is July 26th for the August 24th SAT. Registration deadline is August 16th for the September 14th ACT. (No test centers are scheduled in California or New York for the July ACT test date.)
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarships (deadline August 15, 2019). The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY).