The following is a weekly “e-newsletter” containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This “e-newsletter” is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA “E-News” 5/31/2017
- IHS Staff Appreciation Lunch–desserts needed (6/7)
- IHS PTA General Meeting (6/8)
- IHS Brain Team–ties for 5th of 304 teams!
- IHS Yearbook available by check
- IHS Senior Prom (6/10)
- Ithaca Reads (6/12)
- Ithaca Sports Boosters looking for parent volunteers (6/15)
- FABG Awards 4 Grants
- NYS June 2017 Regents (6/13-22)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/may-31st/
- IHS Staff Appreciation Lunch–desserts needed (Wednesday, June 7th). The IHS PTA and luncheon organizers welcome donations of any homemade or store bought desserts. Nut free, gluten free, and vegan desserts are also appreciated. Please click the link to access the google doc and sign up. Specifics on where and when to bring your dessert will be emailed to you closer to the date. We need about 30 families to donate so the teachers and staff have plenty to choose from! Thank you!
- IHS PTA General Meeting (Thursday, June 8th, 5:30pm, Activities Room). All are welcome to attend our last IHS PTA meeting of the 2016-17 school year. In addition to our wrap-up, we will be voting on our revised by-laws.
- IHS Ties for 5th of 304 Teams at National Championship! On Memorial Day Weekend, IHS’ Brain Team participated in the NAQT HSNCT in Atlanta, GA. Ithaca battled their competition like brain warriors. IHS’ last bout was against ranked Thomas Jefferson Science & Technology High School from Alexandria, VA. The teams were evenly matched, but it didn’t go our way up to the last second buzzer. CONGRATULATIONS to seniors Andrey Shakhzadyan, Casey Wetherbee, and Daniel Xu, and sophomore Vaynu Kadiyali for their incredible performance. These four will be joined by seniors James Park and Luc Wetherbee and along with sophomores Isaiah Gutman and Justin Tan the weekend of June 10th to play in the Partnership for Academic Excellence’s National Scholastic Championship in Chicago, IL. Stay tuned!
- IHS Yearbook still available by check $75. Online ordering has closed, but students may still bring a check for $75 made out to IHS Annual. Three ways to deliver your check: 1) mail it to Ithaca High School Annual ℅ Lyn Reitenbach, 1401 N. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850; 2) bring it to the main office and ask them to put the check in Lyn’s box; or 3) drop by Lyn’s office (G114).
- IHS Senior Prom (Saturday, June 10th, 7:00-10:00pm, Ithaca Farmers’ Market). Have fun Class of 2017!
- Ithaca Reads (June 12th at 7:00pm)! A peer support group for parents of struggling readers. Worried about your child’s reading development? Want to learn more about how to support your child and navigate the school system? Please join us for our first meetings of Ithaca Reads. Village of Ithaca (609 W. Clinton St., Suite 109 on June 12th from 7:00-8:00pm. For more information contact Celeste Ptak at 607-342-0075 or Ithacareads@gmail.com.
- Ithaca Sports Boosters looking for volunteers to make an impact for our student-athletes. If you are interested in getting involved, please contact the Ithaca Sports Boosters or stop by the next meeting on Thursday, June 15th at 7:00pm in the IHS Activities Room.
- Fine Arts Booster Group Awards Four Grants. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG), an affiliate of IPEI, awarded four grants to support arts education for students. FABG supported 1) DeWitt Middle School Orchestra’s travel to Boston for a performance clinic with the Boston Symphony Orchestra; 2) the Fall Creek Brass Band will perform at Beverly J. Martin Elementary, including a joint song with 4th and 5th graders; 3) Cayuga Heights Elementary will organize all district 3rd graders to attend an Ithaca Ballet performance and demonstration in the coming school year; and 4) the IHS musical production of Anything Goes was supported by a special grant from the Strebel Fund for Community Enrichment of the Community Foundation of Tompkins County. These 4 projects will reach 777 students and $3,457 was granted.
- NYS Regents (June 13-22, 2017). Are you a planner? Well I am…here is a link to the NYS June 2017 Regents Examination Schedule. Best of luck to our amazing students!