The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 5/8/19
- Community Conversation with ICSD Board of Education Candidates (5/8)
- IHS AP Exam Dates (May 6-10 & 13-17)
- IHS 2019-20 Course Selection (deadline 5/10)
- ICSD Open House (5/14)
- IHS Junior Prom (5/18)
- ICSD 2019 Capital Project (vote 5/21)
- IHS Spring National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (5/23)
- ICSD School Day (5/24) – not a holiday
- IHS Online Yearbook Order (extended deadline 5/31)
- IHS Athletic Department Updates
- IHS Senior Trip (6/11)
- IHS NYS Regents (6/17-25)
- IHS Senior Prom (6/22)
- TCPL: Teens Create Comics (5/11)
- TCPL Maker Mondays (5/13)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (5/15)
- CCO Youth Orchestra – New Member Auditions (5/17)
- Summer 2019 SAT/ACT registration & test dates
- 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarship (deadline 8/15)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/may-8th/
- Community Conversation with ICSD Board of Education Candidates (TONIGHT, May 8th, 6:00pm-8:00pm, GIAC). Meet the 3 Candidates running for School Board Election: Bradley Grainger, Eldred Harris, Robert Ainslie. The Candidates will engage in a Community Conversation on Wednesday, May 8th, 2019 at Greater Ithaca Activities Center (GIAC), 301 West Court Street (corner of Albany Street) 6:00pm – 8:00pm. Here is your chance to engage with them!
- 2019 AP Exam Dates (May 6-10 and May 13-17). AP exam dates here. AP scores are released to designated colleges, students, and high schools in July.
- IHS 2019-20 Course Selection Deadline (Friday, May 10th). The last date to enter 2019-20 course selections in School Tool was February 13th. If students wish to make further changes, you may do so during your annual review meeting with your school counselor. After all annual reviews are completed, a print out of your course selections will be sent home for a final approval before the deadline. The final deadline to make any course selection changes is May 10, 2019. After this date, no changes will be allowed; no exceptions. All waiver forms are due by this date as well.
- ICSD Open House (Tuesday, May 14th). On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, the Ithaca City School District will host open houses at all school buildings. Open houses at the elementary schools will run from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Open houses at the secondary schools will run from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The purpose of these open houses is to provide prospective students and families an opportunity to view our schools and meet with building personnel.
- IHS Junior Prom (Saturday, May 18th, 7:00-10:00pm, Johnson Art Museum, Cornell University.) IHS Juniors only. (One guest per IHS junior is allowed, though the guest must be enrolled in a high school or GED program.)
- ICSD 2019 Capital Project (Voting Day, May 21st). On May 21, 2019, Ithaca City School District voters will have the opportunity to authorize a $120 million, tax-neutral capital improvement bond. The bond would support the 2019 Capital Project, a district-wide, long-term facilities plan designed to enhance safety and security, upgrade teaching and learning spaces, and improve infrastructure at all ICSD schools. Construction of the proposed project would be completed in multiple phases over the course of 12 years, with Phase I work scheduled to begin in 2020. For more information, visit the ICSD website.
- IHS Spring National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (Thursday, May 23rd, 6:00pm, Black Box Theater). If you are planning to attend a Division, 1, 2, 3, or Junior College to play a sport, please sign up on the sheet outside of G207 or the Athletics Office. Â Please see Ms. Valletta or Ms. Little if you have any questions.
- ICSD School is Scheduled Friday, May 24th. Due to snow days this year, there will be school on Friday, May 24.
- IHS Yearbook Online Order Deadline Extended (Friday, May 31st). The deadline for online Yearbook orders has been extended until the end of May! If you would like to order the 2019 ANNUAL go to www.yearbookordercenter.com and enter code 8812. There are a limited number of copies left so don’t delay, order today.
- Updates from the Athletics Department:
- 2019-2020 Athletic Start Dates
- A great resource for families: ICSD Athletics & Wellness Web Page
- Games and practices may be scheduled during Â school breaks. When you agree to be part of an athletic team it is an expectation that you will be attending all games and practices, including the ones that occur over breaks.
- No dogs or pets are allowed on campus at any athletic events
- If your student is interested in trying out or participating in any Fall sports they must be in good academic standing by the end of the 2019 school year. This means that no more than two classes can have an average of 64 or below. The athletic department is here to partner with you in order to support and empower your student. If you have any questions please contact us at 607-274-2155.
11. IHS Senior Trip (Tuesday, June 11th, 6:00am-8:00pm, Six Flags Great Adventure). Times are approximate but will be updated as we get closer to the event. Tickets to the trip will be sold at least 2 weeks in advance, so seniors need to stay alert for announcements, emails, etc.
12. IHS New York State Regents Exam Schedule (June 17-25, 2019). Here is the link for IHS dates, times, and locations.
13. IHS Senior Prom (Saturday, June 22nd, 7:00-10:00pm, Celebrations, Slaterville Rd.) IHS Seniors only. (One non-senior guest per IHS senior is allowed.
14. TCPL: Teens Create Comics (Saturdays, May 11-18th, 11:15am-12:30pm, Digital Lab). Tompkins County Public Library is please to host a comic creation series for teens on Saturdays, April 20-May 18th, 11:15am-12:30pm, Digital Lab. (Series for 12 and under held 10:00-11:00am.) Classes led by comic artist Ten Van Winkle. Participants will learn about the process of making comics, from drawing, to character creation, to storytelling. Attendance at all classes not required, but encouraged. Registration not required, but appreciated for the teen session.
15. TCPL Maker Mondays for Teens to Resume (Mondays, May 13-20th, 4:00-6:00pm). Tompkins County Public Library invites teens to drop-in hours in its Makerspace, every Monday, starting February 4 and going through May 20, 2019, from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. These drop-in hours “Maker Mondays for Teens” provide people aged 12 to 17 the opportunity to express their creativity while becoming familiar with the equipment in the Library’s Makerspace. Tutorials will be provided for the Makerbot 3D Printer, Epilogue Helix Laser Cutter, and Cricut. These free drop-in sessions do not require registration. For more information, contact Joah at email@example.com.
16. TCPL: Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, May 15th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Programming Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults in grades 6-12 to a monthly book discussion series. The group will meet Wednesday, May 15th, 4:30-5:30pm, in TCPL’s Thaler/Howell Programming Room. For May, the book selection is On the Come Up, by Angie Thomas. Free copies of the book are available for participants from the Teen Services Librarian, Regina DeMauro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
17. CCO Youth Orchestra – New Member Auditions (Friday, May 17th). New member auditions for our 2019-2020 season are on May 17th! We have openings in Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, and Strings. Audition information and the sign up form can be found on our website http://ccoithaca.org/education/youth-orchestra/.
18. Summer 2019 SAT/ACT Testing Dates. Want to knock out the SAT or ACT over the summer? Registration deadline is July 26th for the August 24th SAT. Registration deadline is August 16th for the September 14th ACT. (No test centers are scheduled in California or New York for the July ACT test date.)
19. 2019-20 Excelsior Scholarships (deadline August 15, 2019). The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY).