The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 5/9/18
- IHS PTA Gap Year Presentation (5/9)
- ICSD BOE Candidate Forum (5/9)
- ICSD BOE and Budget Vote (5/15)
- IHS Junior Prom (5/19)
- ICSD School Day (5/25)
- IHS Senior Scholarship (due 6/1)
- IHS Yearbooks–going fast
- IHS Commencement (6/21)
- IHS Athletic Fields Closed for Maintenance (starting 6/22)
- Excelsior Scholarship (due 7/23)
- Common App (8/1) and FAFSA (10/1)
- Fall 2018 Sports (start 8/13)
- Cohn Music Scholarship for IYB Summer Band and Orchestra
- Teen Urban Farmers (5/9)
- TCPL Podcasting (6/4)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/may-9th/
- IHS PTA Gap Year Presentation (Wednesday, May 9th, 7:00pm, Activities Building). Students and families are welcome to join the IHS PTA on Wednesday, May 9th at 7:00pm and hear about personal Gap Year experiences. A Gap Year is a year’s break between high school and college/university, aimed at promoting a mature outlook with which to absorb the benefits of higher education. An option growing in popularity. Please join us if interested in a gap year experience.
- ICSD Meet the BOE Candidates Forum (Wednesday, May 9th, 6:00-8:00pm, GIAC). Six candidates are running for three open seats. Please come and meet the candidates. Bonus–childcare is provided for children 3+ years. Forum held in advance of the BOE and budget vote on May 15th.
- ICSD Annual Budget Vote & School Board Election (Tuesday, May 15th, 12:00-9:00pm). Please get out the vote on Tuesday, May 15th.
- IHS Juniors: Junior Prom (Saturday, May 19th). The IHS Junior Prom will be held this year on Saturday, May 19th from 7:00-10:00pm at the Johnson Art Museum. Tickets are advance-only, and will be sold May 16th-18th during lunch periods, as well as after school on May 16th.To purchase a ticket, students need to submit a Dance Contract. Contracts can be submitted as a hard copy (available in the Main Office) or online. If they choose, juniors are allowed to bring one non-junior guest (IHS student or a student currently enrolled in a different high school/GED program). There is a separate contract for non-ICSD students, which is available in the Main Office. Have fun Class of 2019!
- ICSD Regular School Day on Friday, May 25th. School will be held on Friday, May 25 due to emergency closing days.
- IHS Seniors–Scholarship (FREE MONEY) Opportunities:
- Cannon Heyman & Weiss Scholarship Fund. Scholarships (for students living in affordable housing) will be awarded to successful, qualified applicants and will offer financial aid for full and part-time study at approved colleges, junior colleges, technical schools, and other post-secondary institutions leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate. Deadline is June 1st.
- IHS Yearbook (available for purchase online $75). The IHS Annual yearbook is currently being printed and they are getting sold fast. To assure that you get a copy order as soon as possible! For one more week you may order online at www.yearbookordercenter.com and enter Ithaca High School’s code 8812. After the online order center closes you can pay by check. Make payable to IHS Annual and give to Lyn Reitenbach who is located in G114.
- IHS Class of 2018 Commencement (Thursday, June 21st, 7:00pm, Athletics and Events Center, Ithaca College). IHS Commencement will take place on June 21st at 7:00pm and last approximately until 8:45pm. Seniors must attend mandatory graduation rehearsal on June 21st at 1:00pm. Congratulations Class of 2018!
- Notice from the ICSD Athletics & Wellness Department (starting Friday, June 22nd): Starting June 22nd, Dewitt, Northeast, and all IHS fields will be closed for maintenance to repair some areas of concern. The fields are in need of some TLC. Thank you for your support.
- Excelsior Scholarship Application Open for New Applicants for 2018-19 Academic Year. The application for the Excelsior Scholarship for new applicants in the 2018-19 academic year is now open. SUNY and CUNY students whose families make up to $110,000 annually can now apply for tuition-free college HERE. Application deadline: July 23, 2018.
- College Application Dates for Rising Seniors (Class of 2019). Heads up on two important colleges application dates…Common App opens August 1, 2018 and FAFSA October 1, 2018.
- Fall 2018 Sports Start August 2018. 2018 JV/Varsity Fall Sports tryouts begin August 13. Modified Sports begin August 20. If you are planning your summer vacations, please plan accordingly for August tryouts. For more information checkout the ICSD Athletics.
- Cohn Music Scholarship for IYB Summer Band and Orchestra. The Rella and Barney Cohn Music Scholarship Fund, provides annual music scholarships for summer study through the Ithaca Youth Bureau Summer Band and Orchestra Program. The Cohn Music Scholarship Fund is administered by IPEI with assistance from the Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) an IPEI affiliate, and the Ithaca Youth Bureau (IYB). Scholarships are applied to the IYB Summer Band and Orchestra Program. Registration is in June and requires the IYB scholarship application. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the Teen Urban Farmers (TUF) (May 2-June 6) . Come to the Ithaca Children’s Garden after school on Wednesdays (4-6pm) through June 6 for TUF. Sign up if you are looking for FUN, great snacks, new friends. Learn & work outside as a group to maintain a public garden, and become leaders in environmental stewardship. This is a great opportunity to fulfill community service requirements, too! For more information, contact Lauren Salzman, TUF Program Manager, at Lauren@ithacachildrensgarden.org.
- TCPL Basics of Podcasting (Monday, June 4th, 6:30-7:30pm, BorgWarner Room). Back by popular demand, Kate Essig will present the basics of podcasting. This fun, skill-building lecture is one-night only. Open to adults and teens (ages 13-17). Event is free, but registration is required.