The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 11/11/20
- IHS PTA Membership and Meetings
- ICSD FREE Grab-and-Go Meals
- IHS Athletic Updates/Intent to Play Registration (Spring Intent to play 11/16-11/24)
- IHS Virtual College Visits (11/12-12/9)
- IHS AP Course Registration (11/13)
- SAT II Subject Tests
- IHS Seniors: Elks Foundation Scholarship (due 11/15)
- IHS Ski Club (early registration 11/15)
- IHS Prestige Senior Portraits (11/16-17)
- NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Info Night, 11/18 & deadline 12/1)
- No School: Thanksgiving Day Recess (11/25-27)
- IHS Picture Day (12/8-10)
- Save the Date: Virtual IHS Drama (12/11-12/13)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursdays, 11/12-12/10)
- Arts Education Grant (due 11/19)
- Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application due 12/13)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/6)
- FABG Grants (due 2/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/november-11th/
1. IHS PTA Membership and Meetings. The IHS PTA is currently planning general meetings for the Fall (~November), Winter, and Spring. Stay tuned for dates. In the meantime, please consider becoming a PTA member–it’s easy and your membership supports our incredible IHS students, faculty, and staff.
2. ICSD FREE Grab-and-Go Meals. Beginning December 2, we will be offering home deliveries on Wednesdays for all students learning remotely. FREE grab-and-go meals are served daily for students engaged in distance/hybrid learning. If you would like to place an order for your child/ren, please complete the form below (also available here). The grab-and-go meals are available for pickup Monday through Friday at each of our schools.
3. IHS Athletics Updates
Winter Offseason Training begins November 9. FamilyID opens for “Intent to Play” registration for Spring sports on November 16th. Registration will close on November 24th at 12 pm.
|Season||Family ID Sign Up Window||Off-Season Training Dates|
|Winter Intent to Play||closed||11/9-11/24|
|Spring Intent to Play||11/16-11/24||11/30-12/23|
For your student to be cleared to participate in off-season training sessions, please go to FamilyID and click on the appropriate “Intent to Play” listing based on playing level (Varsity/JV or Modified) and sport. Due to safety protocols, please know that there is a cap on the number of participants in each group. For additional information, please see Spring ICSD Return to Play. If you have questions, please contact the Athletics Office at 274-2155.
Winter Intent to Play training notes:
|Alpine Ski, Boys Swim/Dive, Cheer, Boys and Girls Hockey, Indoor Track and Field, Unified Bowling, and Wrestling||Scheduled in-person slots with Strength and Conditioning staff and virtual sport specific skill instruction|
|Boys and Girls Basketball||Scheduled in-person slot with Strength and Conditioning staff and in-person sport specific skill instruction|
4. IHS College Virtual Visits. For more information, students should visit Naviance and register for the virtual link.
- University at Buffalo, State University of New York, November 12th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of Pittsburgh-Bradford, November 13th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Duke Kunshan University, November 16th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Marywood University, November 17th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Nazareth College, November 18th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred, November 18th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Purchase College, SUNY, November 18th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Ithaca College, November 18th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Carnegie Mellon University, November 19th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Washington University in St Louis, November 20th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Virginia Commonwealth University, November 23rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Cazenovia College, November 24th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Binghamton University,November 30th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Drexel University, December 1st, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Lincoln University, December 2nd, 2020 at 10:00am
- Wentworth Institute of Technology, December 2nd, 2020 at 12:00pm
- SUNY Maritime College, December 2nd, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Suffolk University, December 2nd, 2020 at 4:00pm
- SUNY Maritime College, December 3rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of Rochester, December 4th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Middlebury College, December 7th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Russell Sage College, December 8th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- St. Bonaventure University, December 9th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY Oneonta, December 9th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, December 9th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- SUNY College at Geneseo, December 9th, 2020 at 4:00pm
5. IHS AP Course Registration (Friday, November 13th by 12:00pm; AP form and fee due to IHS by March 5th). IHS students taking AP courses are expected to take the AP exam in May 2021 to receive credit for the course.IHS students taking AP courses must register for their AP exam online at myap.collegeboard.org by Friday, November 13th by noon. Register for your AP exam(s) with the join code received from your teacher.
There is a $95 fee for each AP exam. There is no charge for AP exams for students who have applied for and been approved for free and reduced lunch. Please return the AP form (received in the mail) with total fee payment to Mr. Jay Barnes in the College and Career Office or mail it to Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850 (attn. Mr. Barnes) by Friday, March 5th. If you would like to pay by check, please make the check payable to “Ithaca High School.” If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Collier in the Student Services Office (607-254-2157) or Mr Barnes in the College and Career Office (607-274-2218).
6. SAT Subject Tests. While you are thinking about AP exams, it is also a good idea to consider SAT Subject Tests (SAT II), which often coincide with AP exams dates. You’ve put in the studying for your AP exams, why not knock out both and boost your college application?
7. IHS Seniors: Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2021 (deadline November 15th). The Elks National Foundation awards $2.9 million in scholarships to a total of 500 high school seniors nationwide through its Most Valuable Student Contest. The scholarship is competitive and is based on academics, leadership, financial need, and service.
8. IHS Ski Club 2020-21 (early registration deadline November 15th). IHS Ski Club will be skiing on Wednesdays to allow for district transportation and align with more elementary schools so families could ski together. There are two IHS Greek Peak Ski Club Pass Options: 1) all day Wednesday pass, which includes two lessons valid from Jan 6th-March 3rd for $205.00 and 2) Tri-State Flex Pass valid Monday-Thursday from January 4th-March 11th $385.00. If you are a season pass holder and want to be part of the Ithaca High School Ski Club, please use this link to register and select the choice for 0 lessons. There is no cost associated with this option.
Transportation provided using district school buses while abiding by all health screenings, social distancing guidelines, and NYS recommendations. The cost will be $100.00 for six weeks of transportation. Transportation NOT provided if ICSD is closed to in-person learning and goes 100% virtual. If 100% virtual, you will provide your own transportation to Greek Peak and you will be pro-rated a refund for transportation. If you plan to ride the bus, please include this medical form with your payment. Make checks payable to Ithaca High School Ski Club and either drop off in E-16 during the school day or mail to Scott Breigle, Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850.
9. IHS Seniors: Prestige Senior Portraits (November 16-17th; Senior Portraits due January 4th). Prestige Portraits will be at IHS on November 16th and 17th to take Senior portraits. Senior portraits are due January 4th, but we encourage students to submit them before Winter Break. January 4th is the absolute last day to submit. Please use the link below to sign up to have your Senior portrait taken. https://schedule.prestigeportraits.com/schedule/home.html?NY&Ithaca
10. IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Family Info Night, November 18th at 7:00pm and application deadline December 1st). IHS Seniors–if you are proficient in two or more languages, then please join us online at https://meet.google.com/skj-yngw-kkt for the NYS Seal of Biliteracy Family Information Night on Wednesday, November 18 at 7pm to learn more about this prestigious award. Juniors and their families are welcome to join us, too, so you can begin planning now. The application deadline for seniors is extended to December 1. We are accepting applications via email sent to your school counselor. For more information, please visit our NYS Seal of Biliteracy web page: https://www.ithacacityschools.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1440
11. No School: Thanksgiving Day Recess (Wednesday, November 25th-Friday, November 27th). ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21 current version click here.
12. IHS Picture Day (December 8-10th). Lifetouch will be at IHS Tuesday, December 8th-Thursday, December 10th. To order pictures online, go to Lifetouch and enter Picture Day ID (EVTQVX66XX) about 4 weeks before Picture Day. It is our hope that Gold cohort students will get their school pictures taken on 12/8, and Red cohort students will get their school photos taken on 12/10. On Wednesday, 12/9 students attending virtually can schedule an appointment to have their pictures taken in the foyer of Kulp Auditorium. Stay tuned for details of the process for these dates. For more information about the 2021 Yearbook visit our page on the ICSD website Any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Ithaca High School Drama – Virtual (Friday, December 11th-Sunday, December 13th). Mark your calendars and stay tuned for more information.
14. TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursday, November 12th-December 10th, 4:30-5:30pm). These one-hour workshops will involve a variety of prompts, writing time, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are suitable for people in grades 6-12 (or their homeschool equivalent). Advance registration is required in order to receive the Zoom link.
15. Community Arts Partnership Arts Education Grant (deadline Thursday, November 19th for 2021 projects). Arts Education Grant funds are designed to assist artists in developing and implementing visual and performing arts residencies. The grant can also fund after school programs. New in 2021: Applicants can apply for virtual programming, technical support, and equipment related to delivering programming. No match is required.
16. Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application deadline December 13, 2020). The Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, in partnership with the Fine Arts Booster Group, is offering a creative retreat for teachers of the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) and other districts in Tompkins County during the February and April school breaks, February 13-17, 2021 and April 3-7, 2021. The program is designed to provide 5 day, 4 night residency-type retreats for local teachers in the following disciplines: creative writing, photography/film/video, and painting/sculpture/visual art. The program is totally free to attend. Teachers are selected through a lottery system. The application deadline is December 13, 2020, and the application is available at www.saltonstall.org/teachers. Teachers may choose which session to attend. COVID 19 protocols are in place and described on the website.
17. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.
18. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. FABG Grants application deadlines are November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .