The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 11/13/19
- ICSD/IHS PTA: Mental Health and Wellness 101 (11/19)
- IHS Athletics Updates
- IHS AP Exams (submit payment by 11/15)
- IHS Senior Portraits (due 12/5)
- IHS Student Clubs
- IHS Daily Announcements
- Consent Rocks! Benefit Concert (11/15)
- IHS Class of 2021 Fundraiser at Chipotle (11/16)
- Splash! Fall 2019 (11/16)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (11/20)
- Enclose Cass Fundraiser at Carriage House (11/20)
- SEPTA Meeting (12/9)
- Saltonstall Teacher Retreat Residency (application due 12/15)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/8)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (3/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/november-13th/
- Mental Health and Wellness 101 (Tuesday, November 19th, 7:00-8:30pm, IHS Cafeteria). ICSD Wellness, IHS PTA, and Cornell Community Relations are pleased to collaborate on a year-long series of events for the ICSD community–including students, faculty, staff, and caregivers–focused on enhancing well-being and mental health in our community. Please join us for our first community event on Tuesday, November 19th, 7:00-8:30pm. Mental Health and Wellness 101 provides participants with a basic knowledge of mental health, wellness, and recovery in an effort to reduce stigma. Questions? Contact Kate Supron (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- IHS Athletics Updates (Winter Sports).
- Get your Winter season Ithaca Athletics apparel now by November 13th! Show your support for our athletic programs. Let’s Go Red! https://ithacastore19-3.itemorder.com/sale
- The fall National Letter of Intent signing ceremony will be November 20th from 6-7 PM in the Multi-Purpose Room. If you are off to a Division 1, 2, 3 or Junior College to play a sport and want to be a part of the ceremony, please sign up outside of G207 or in the Athletics Office. See Ms. Little or Ms. Valletta if you have any questions.
- Athletic Study Hall information for Winter Sports: Athletic Study Halls (ASH) will be Tuesday/Thursday from 3:45-4:45 PM in York Lecture Hall and Wednesday/Friday from 8-8:45 AM in K105. ASH will resume on 11/19 and run through the end of the winter athletic season. More than 61% of our student-athletes report feeling overwhelmed by the difficulty of balancing athletic and academic workloads. To help provide a proactive intervention, starting this winter, each JV and Varsity team will be required to attend ASH as a group once per week. The emotional well-being of our student-athletes is of utmost importance.
- AP Exam Updates (submit AP exam fee by Friday, November 15th). For students enrolled in AP classes–new this year. The following steps are required if you/your student is enrolled in an AP class and plan to take the AP exam in May:
- By November 15th: Submit exam fee(s) ($94/exam) to the IHS College and Career Office. If you receive free/reduced lunch, please see Mr. Barnes about fee reductions. A $40 late fee applied for any change in exam ordering after November 15th. Checks payable to “Ithaca High School”
- By January 17th: Deadline to submit an accommodation request to College Board through SSD Online. IHS’ SSD coordinator is Margie Shaw (email@example.com). If you have an IEP or 504 and receive school-based accommodations, you must have your accommodations approved by the College Board prior to exam.
- May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams
- IHS Senior Portraits (due Thursday, December 5th). Submit via yearbookordercenter.com (Code: 8812) or the HJeShare App (Code: ITHACA) Head and shoulders. School photos will be used if no portrait is submitted. Prestige Portraits is offering free portraits November 26th- call 607-797-5907 to make appointment or go online at Prestigeportraits.com to schedule your appointment. Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- IHS Student Clubs. So many fantastic involvement opportunities. Something for everyone ranging from leadership to leisure to service and everything in between. Checkout the list of clubs here.
- IHS Daily Announcements. Did you know IHS Daily Announcements are posted online? Lots of great information is communicated to students through Daily Announcements and sometimes that information doesn’t make it home.
- Consent Rocks! Benefit Concert (Friday, November 15th, 7:00-9:30pm, Kulp Auditorium). The Advocacy Center’s teen activism group, ACTion, is hosting a Consent Rocks! benefit concert on Friday, November 15th at 7:00pm in IHS’ Kulp Auditorium. The concert will feature performances from middle and high school students, as well as from community groups. There is a suggested donation of $10. Funds raised will be used to increase awareness of ACTion, teen access to Advocacy Center services and youth services.
- IHS Junior Class of 2021 Fundraiser (Saturday, November 16th, 4:00-8:00pm, Chipotle at 740 Meadow St. Ste 100). All you have to do is head over to Chipotle, tell the cashier you’re supporting the IHS Junior Class of 2021, or show the cashier a picture of the many chipotle posters hung up around the school, and 33% of your order will go to support the Class of 2021 – what a perfect excuse to order extra guac. Bring your friends and see you there!
- Splash! Fall 2019 (Saturday, November 16th). Splash! an amazing Saturday on Cornell’s campus when any 7th-12th grade student can learn about any subject. Splash is a very open style of learning, designed to let students explore anything that they are passionate about. Registration is now open!
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, November 20th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults in grades 6-12 to a monthly Young Adult Book Club. For the November meeting, participants will read and discuss Watch Us Rise, by Renne Watson and Ellen Hagan. Newbery Honor and Coretta Scott King Award-winning author Renée Watson teams up with poet Ellen Hagan in this YA feminist anthem about raising your voice. Book club participants are encouraged to bring suggestions for future books to be added to the rotation for this monthly club. Snacks and drinks will be provided. Copies of the book are available in the Teen Services office.
- Carriage House Café Loft Supports the Enclose Cass Campaign (Wednesday, November 20th, 6:00-9:00pm). On Wednesday, November 20th from 6:00-9:00pm guests at the Carriage House Café Loft restaurant (305 Stewart Ave) can help to Enclose Cass by buying food and beverages! Hosted by the Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau (FIYB) with Groupraise, it’s a delicious way to help raise the funds needed to upgrade the rink with glass walls and air control system while retaining the arena’s traditional charm and making it more sustainable and successful! RSVP online optional. When you purchase your food and beverage, mention the Enclose Cass Campaign for 15% of your order’s price donated back to Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau (FIYB).
- SEPTA Meeting (Monday, December 9th, 5:30-7:00pm, TCPL Borg Warner Room). Come to our next meeting! Topic: Discussing the Special Education Process. Childcare & snacks will be provided. Please RSVP so we know how much food and childcare is needed. (A child questionnaire form must be completed before dropping off your child. The online form can be found here. To become a member of SEPTA, you can join in person at the meeting or online.
- Saltonstall Teacher Retreat Residency (application due December 15th). The Saltonstall Foundation is pleased to offer two special residencies for Tompkins County public school teachers in the arts (February 15-19, 2020 (Winter Recess) and April 4-8, 2020 (Spring Recess)). These 5-day, 4-night residencies are designed as an artistic retreat for teachers in the following disciplines: Creative writing (any genre); Photography / film / video; and Painting / Sculpture / Visual Art. The residencies are totally free to attend. Five teachers will be selected through a lottery system for each residency. There is no jurying involved. Overnight stays are encouraged but not mandatory. Application deadline is by 11:59pm Sunday, December 15, 2019.
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, January 8th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. Grants deadlines for the 2019-20 school year are January 8th and March 18th. For more information, click here.
- Save the Date: IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (Sunday, March 1st). We will start taking team registrations for the 2020 Adult Spelling Bee starting in January 2020! Spelling Bee teams consist of three spellers. Teams can be sponsored by a company or your team can crowdfund. Email email@example.com if you have any questions!