The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 11/18/20
- ICSD Free Breakfast and Lunch for all Students
- IHS A-D Day Calendar
- IHS Athletic Spring Intent to Play Registration (closes noon 11/24)
- IHS Virtual College Visits (11/18-12/9)
- NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Info Night, 11/18 & deadline 12/1)
- IHS Seniors: Free FAFSA Help (11/19, 12/12, 12/16)
- No School: Thanksgiving Day Recess (11/25-27)
- IHS Picture Day (12/8-10)
- Save the Date: Virtual IHS Drama (12/11-12/13)
- IHS Seniors: Senior Portraits (due 1/4)
- NYS January 2021 Regents Canceled
- IHS AP Course Form and Fee (due to IHS 3/5)
- SAT II Subject Tests
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursdays, 11/19-12/10)
- Arts Education Grant (due 11/19)
- Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application due 12/13)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/6)
- FABG Grants (due 2/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/november-18th/
1. ICSD FREE Breakfast and Lunch. The ICSD offers free school breakfast and lunch to any child, regardless of eligibility, and the USDA extends free meals for students through June 30, 2021. The ICSD Child Nutrition Program offers remote meals pickup at Boynton MS, LACS, and Fall Creek Elementary from 10 am – 12 pm. Home delivery of meals for distant learners will take place on Wednesdays beginning in December. Families will need to fill out the form that will go live online the week before Thanksgiving.
2. IHS A-D Day Calendar. Please see the updated November 2020-January 2020 Day Calendar.
3. IHS Athletics Updates
Reminder that registration for Intent to Play Spring Offseason training opened on November 16 and will close at noon on November 24. You may register your student through FamilyID. Intent to Play Spring Offseason Training will run from November 30 through December 23. For additional information, please see Spring ICSD Return to Play. If you have questions, please contact the Athletics Office at 274-2155.
4. IHS College Virtual Visits. For more information, students should visit Naviance and register for the virtual link.
- Nazareth College, November 18th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred, November 18th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Purchase College, SUNY, November 18th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Ithaca College, November 18th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Carnegie Mellon University, November 19th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Washington University in St Louis, November 20th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Virginia Commonwealth University, November 23rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Cazenovia College, November 24th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Binghamton University,November 30th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Drexel University, December 1st, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Lincoln University, December 2nd, 2020 at 10:00am
- Wentworth Institute of Technology, December 2nd, 2020 at 12:00pm
- SUNY Maritime College, December 2nd, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Suffolk University, December 2nd, 2020 at 4:00pm
- SUNY Maritime College, December 3rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of Rochester, December 4th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Middlebury College, December 7th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Russell Sage College, December 8th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- St. Bonaventure University, December 9th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY Oneonta, December 9th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, December 9th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- SUNY College at Geneseo, December 9th, 2020 at 4:00pm
5. IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Family Info Night, November 18th at 7:00pm and application deadline December 1st). IHS Seniors–if you are proficient in two or more languages, then please join us online at https://meet.google.com/skj-yngw-kkt for the NYS Seal of Biliteracy Family Information Night on Wednesday, November 18 at 7pm to learn more about this prestigious award. Juniors and their families are welcome to join us, too, so you can begin planning now. The application deadline for seniors is extended to December 1. We are accepting applications via email sent to your school counselor. For more information, please visit our NYS Seal of Biliteracy web page: https://www.ithacacityschools.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1440
6. IHS Seniors: Free FAFSA Help (November 19th, December 9th, December 12th, and December 16th). New York State Financial Aid Administrators Association and New York State Higher Education Services Corporation are offering free online professional assistance to students completing the 2021-2022 college financial aid forms. Financial aid administrators from local colleges will help college bound seniors complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application. Students may register for any of the 2021-2022 FAFSA completion events. All events are online and require an appointment. Students are encouraged to do the following prior to their appointment: 1. Obtain an FSA ID for the student; 2. Obtain an FSA ID for one parent; 3. Gather the documents needed to complete your FAFSA/TAP applications.
Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:00 – 7:00 PM: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwvc-mtpz4vEtwODPH6NhV2MEHI65JDlsQj
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 3:00 – 7:00 PM
December 12, 2020 9:00 – 1:00 PM
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 3:00 – 7:00 PM
7. No School: Thanksgiving Day Recess (Wednesday, November 25th-Friday, November 27th). ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21 current version click here.
8. IHS Picture Day (December 8-10th). Lifetouch will be at IHS Tuesday, December 8th-Thursday, December 10th. To order pictures online, go to Lifetouch and enter Picture Day ID (EVTQVX66XX). Gold cohort students will get their school pictures taken on Tuesday, December 8th and Red cohort students will get their school photos taken on Thursday, December 10th in J122. Virtual Students: You are welcome to schedule an appointment for any day that works with your schedule. However, please note that on Wednesday, December 9th, the photos will be taken in the Kulp foyer lounge, which will allow students to enter and leave through the front door of Kulp on a day when there are no students in attendance. Please click here to sign up for a day and time to have your photo taken by Lifetouch. Any questions please e-mail email@example.com or visit the 2021 Yearbook visit our page on the ICSD website.
9. Ithaca High School Drama – Virtual (Friday, December 11th-Sunday, December 13th). Mark your calendars and stay tuned for more information.
10. IHS Seniors: Senior Portraits (due January 4th). Senior portraits are due January 4th, but we encourage students to submit them before Winter Break. January 4th is the absolute last day to submit. Any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
11. NYS January 2021 Regents Canceled. New York State Cancels Regents Examinations for January 2021. No decisions have been made regarding the June and August 2021 administrations of Regents Examinations or any of the other State assessment programs. Students who have concerns/are impacted by this should reach out to their school counselor.
12. IHS AP Course Form and Fee (due to IHS by March 5th). IHS students taking AP courses are expected to take the AP exam in May 2021 to receive credit for the course. There is a $95 fee for each AP exam. There is no charge for AP exams for students who have applied for and been approved for free and reduced lunch. Please return the AP form (received in the mail) with total fee payment to Mr. Jay Barnes in the College and Career Office or mail it to Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850 (attn. Mr. Barnes) by Friday, March 5th. If you would like to pay by check, please make the check payable to “Ithaca High School.” If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Collier in the Student Services Office (607-254-2157) or Mr Barnes in the College and Career Office (607-274-2218).
13. SAT Subject Tests. While you are thinking about AP exams, it is also a good idea to consider SAT Subject Tests (SAT II), which often coincide with AP exams dates. You’ve put in the studying for your AP exams, why not knock out both and boost your college application?
14. TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursday, November 19th-December 10th, 4:30-5:30pm). These one-hour workshops will involve a variety of prompts, writing time, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are suitable for people in grades 6-12 (or their homeschool equivalent). Advance registration is required in order to receive the Zoom link.
15. Community Arts Partnership Arts Education Grant (deadline Thursday, November 19th for 2021 projects). Arts Education Grant funds are designed to assist artists in developing and implementing visual and performing arts residencies. The grant can also fund after school programs. New in 2021: Applicants can apply for virtual programming, technical support, and equipment related to delivering programming. No match is required.
16. Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application deadline December 13, 2020). The Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, in partnership with the Fine Arts Booster Group, is offering a creative retreat for teachers of the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) and other districts in Tompkins County during the February and April school breaks, February 13-17, 2021 and April 3-7, 2021. The program is designed to provide 5 day, 4 night residency-type retreats for local teachers in the following disciplines: creative writing, photography/film/video, and painting/sculpture/visual art. The program is totally free to attend. Teachers are selected through a lottery system. The application deadline is December 13, 2020, and the application is available at www.saltonstall.org/teachers. Teachers may choose which session to attend. COVID 19 protocols are in place and described on the website.
17. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.
18. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .