The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 11/20/19
- IHS Fall National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (11/20)
- IHS Upcoming College Visit: JHU (11/26)
- ICSD Thanksgiving Recess (11/27-29)
- IHS Senior Portraits (due 12/5)
- IHS Athletic Updates
- ICSD Recruiting Contest
- ICSD SEPTA Meeting (12/9)
- IHS Student Clubs
- IHS Daily Announcements
- AP Exam Updates (SSD by 1/17)
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (11/20)
- Enclose Cass Fundraiser at Carriage House (11/20)
- Saltonstall Teacher Retreat Residency (application due 12/15)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/8)
- IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (3/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/november-20th/
- IHS Fall National Letter of Intent Signing Ceremony (Wednesday, November 20th, 6:00-7:00pm, Multi-Purpose Room). Come and celebrate our future Division 1, 2, 3 or Junior College athletes. All are welcome to the signing ceremony.
- IHS Upcoming College Visit:
- John Hopkins University, Tuesday, November 26th at 11:30am (IHS Main Office).
- ICSD Thanksgiving Recess (November 27-29th). Enjoy time with family, friends, and food! Academic calendar online.
- IHS Senior Portraits (due Thursday, December 5th). Submit via yearbookordercenter.com (Code: 8812) or the HJeShare App (Code: ITHACA) Head and shoulders. School photos will be used if no portrait is submitted. Prestige Portraits is offering free portraits November 26th- call 607-797-5907 to make appointment or go online at Prestigeportraits.com to schedule your appointment. Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- IHS Athletics Updates
- Athletic Study Hall information for Winter Sports: Athletic Study Halls (ASH) will be Tuesday/Thursday from 3:45-4:45 PM in York Lecture Hall and Wednesday/Friday from 8-8:45 AM in K105. ASH will resume on 11/19 and run through the end of the winter athletic season. More than 61% of our student-athletes report feeling overwhelmed by the difficulty of balancing athletic and academic workloads. To help provide a proactive intervention, starting this winter, each JV and Varsity team will be required to attend ASH as a group once per week. The emotional well-being of our student-athletes is of utmost importance
- ICSD Athletic Department is piloting Remind this season! If you’re not already familiar with Remind, it’s a school communication tool that makes it easy to stay involved with your child’s activities and learning. Remind is free to use, and you’ll be able to get and send messages on any device—even a simple text message from your phone. As part of this rollout, official accounts will be created for all the coaches, parents/caregivers, and students at ICSD. In the coming weeks, you’ll receive an email or text message from Remind. All you need to do is follow the steps in the message to finish setting up your account. Scan the QR code and view a video demo to see how Remind works.
- ICSD PTA Recruitment Contest. The ICSD is hiring substitute teachers, substitute teaching aides/assistants, bus drivers, and substitute nurses. We’re looking for applicants for these positions and we need your help. The PTA that refers the most candidates for these positions through December 20th will win a dinner with ICSD Superintendent Dr. Luvelle Brown! Applicants should notify the Human Resources department that they were referred by your school’s PTA. Need more information on open positions and how to apply? Visit our Employment Opportunities webpage: www.ithacacityschools.org/jobs
- SEPTA Meeting (Monday, December 9th, 5:30-7:00pm, TCPL Borg Warner Room). Come to our next meeting! Topic: Discussing the Special Education Process. Childcare & snacks will be provided. Please RSVP so we know how much food and childcare is needed. (A child questionnaire form must be completed before dropping off your child. The online form can be found here. To become a member of SEPTA, you can join in person at the meeting or online.
- IHS Student Clubs. So many fantastic involvement opportunities. Something for everyone ranging from leadership to leisure to service and everything in between. Checkout the list of clubs here.
- IHS Daily Announcements. Did you know IHS Daily Announcements are posted online? Lots of great information is communicated to students through Daily Announcements and sometimes that information doesn’t make it home.
- AP Exam Updates (submit SSD accommodation by January 17th). For students enrolled in AP classes–new this year. The following steps are required if you/your student is enrolled in an AP class and plan to take the AP exam in May:
- By January 17th: Deadline to submit an accommodation request to College Board through SSD Online. IHS’ SSD coordinator is Margie Shaw (email@example.com). If you have an IEP or 504 and receive school-based accommodations, you must have your accommodations approved by the College Board prior to exam.
- May 4-15, 2020: AP Exams
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (Wednesday, November 20th, 4:30-5:30pm, Thaler/Howell Room). Tompkins County Public Library invites young adults in grades 6-12 to a monthly Young Adult Book Club. For the November meeting, participants will read and discuss Watch Us Rise, by Renne Watson and Ellen Hagan. Newbery Honor and Coretta Scott King Award-winning author Renée Watson teams up with poet Ellen Hagan in this YA feminist anthem about raising your voice. Book club participants are encouraged to bring suggestions for future books to be added to the rotation for this monthly club. Snacks and drinks will be provided. Copies of the book are available in the Teen Services office.
- Carriage House Café Loft Supports the Enclose Cass Campaign (Wednesday, November 20th, 6:00-9:00pm). On Wednesday, November 20th from 6:00-9:00pm guests at the Carriage House Café Loft restaurant (305 Stewart Ave) can help to Enclose Cass by buying food and beverages! Hosted by the Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau (FIYB) with Groupraise, it’s a delicious way to help raise the funds needed to upgrade the rink with glass walls and air control system while retaining the arena’s traditional charm and making it more sustainable and successful! RSVP online optional. When you purchase your food and beverage, mention the Enclose Cass Campaign for 15% of your order’s price donated back to Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau (FIYB).
- Saltonstall Teacher Retreat Residency (application due December 15th). The Saltonstall Foundation is pleased to offer two special residencies for Tompkins County public school teachers in the arts (February 15-19, 2020 (Winter Recess) and April 4-8, 2020 (Spring Recess)). These 5-day, 4-night residencies are designed as an artistic retreat for teachers in the following disciplines: Creative writing (any genre); Photography / film / video; and Painting / Sculpture / Visual Art. The residencies are totally free to attend. Five teachers will be selected through a lottery system for each residency. There is no jurying involved. Overnight stays are encouraged but not mandatory. Application deadline is by 11:59pm Sunday, December 15, 2019.
- Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Cycle II deadline, Wednesday, January 8th). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. Grants deadlines for the 2019-20 school year are January 8th and March 18th. For more information, click here.
- Save the Date: IPEI 2020 Adult Spelling Bee (Sunday, March 1st). We will start taking team registrations for the 2020 Adult Spelling Bee starting in January 2020! Spelling Bee teams consist of three spellers. Teams can be sponsored by a company or your team can crowdfund. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!