The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 11/25/20
- ICSD Free Breakfast and Lunch for all Students
- IHS A-D Day Calendar
- IHS Spirit Week (11/30-12/4)
- IHS Athletic Updates (Crush the Closure sale deadline 11/29; Spring offseason training starts 11/30)
- IHS Virtual College Visits (11/30-12/9)
- NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Info Night, 11/18 & deadline 12/1)
- PSAT/NMSQT (registration deadline 12/3)
- IHS Seniors: Free FAFSA Help (12/9, 12/12, 12/16)
- IHS Picture Day (12/8-10)
- Save the Date: Virtual IHS Drama (12/11-12/13)
- Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application due 12/13)
- No School: Winter Recess (12/24-1/1)
- IHS Seniors: Senior Portraits (due 1/4)
- NYS January 2021 Regents Canceled
- IHS AP Course Form and Fee (due to IHS 3/5)
- SAT II Subject Tests
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/6)
- FABG Grants (due 2/1)
For more information, please visit:http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/november-25th/
1. ICSD FREE Breakfast and Lunch. The ICSD offers free school breakfast and lunch to any child, regardless of eligibility, and the USDA extends free meals for students through June 30, 2021. The ICSD Child Nutrition Program offers remote meals pickup at Boynton MS, LACS, and Fall Creek Elementary from 10 am – 12 pm. Home delivery of meals for distant learners will take place on Wednesdays beginning in December. Families will need to fill out the form that will go live online the week before Thanksgiving.
2. IHS A-D Day Calendar. Please see the updated November 2020-January 2020 Day Calendar. P.S. First day back after Thanksgiving Recess is Day A on November 30th.
3. Get Ready IHS – Next Week is SPIRIT WEEK AT IHS!
- Monday, 11/30: Decade Day
- Tuesday, 12/1: Twin Day
- Wednesday, 12/2: PJ Day
- Thursday, 12/3: Flannel Day
- Friday, 12/4: Red & Gold Day
4. IHS Athletics Updates
- ICSD Athletics is holding a Crush the Closure FLASH SALE that ends at 12:59PM on November 29!! Order your Crush the Closure gear here. If you have any questions, please call the Athletics Office at 274-2155.
- Spring Sports Offseason training begins on November 30. If you signed up to participate, please watch for an email from your coach. If you have any questions, please contact the Athletics Department at 274-2155.
5. IHS College Virtual Visits. For more information, students should visit Naviance and register for the virtual link.
- Binghamton University, November 30th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Drexel University, December 1st, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Lincoln University, December 2nd, 2020 at 10:00am
- Wentworth Institute of Technology, December 2nd, 2020 at 12:00pm
- SUNY Maritime College, December 2nd, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Suffolk University, December 2nd, 2020 at 4:00pm
- SUNY Maritime College, December 3rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of Rochester, December 4th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Middlebury College, December 7th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Russell Sage College, December 8th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- St. Bonaventure University, December 9th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY Oneonta, December 9th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, December 9th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- SUNY College at Geneseo, December 9th, 2020 at 4:00pm
6. IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (application deadline December 1st). IHS Seniors–if you are proficient in two or more languages, then please join us online at https://meet.google.com/skj-yngw-kkt for the NYS Seal of Biliteracy Family Information Night on Wednesday, November 18 at 7pm to learn more about this prestigious award. Juniors and their families are welcome to join us, too, so you can begin planning now. The application deadline for seniors is extended to December 1. We are accepting applications via email sent to your school counselor. For more information, please visit our NYS Seal of Biliteracy web page: https://www.ithacacityschools.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1440
7. PSAT/NMSQT (registration deadline December 3rd; Exam January 26th). Ithaca High School will be administering the PSAT/NMSQT on Tuesday, January 26, 2021. The PSAT/NMSQT exam is available to all Grade 11 students at no cost. To sign up for the PSAT/NMSQT exam, please complete the Registration Form by the end of the day on Thursday, December 3, 2020. More information will be provided as we approach the exam date.
8. IHS Seniors: Free FAFSA Help (December 9th, December 12th, and December 16th). New York State Financial Aid Administrators Association and New York State Higher Education Services Corporation are offering free online professional assistance to students completing the 2021-2022 college financial aid forms. Financial aid administrators from local colleges will help college bound seniors complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application. Students may register for any of the 2021-2022 FAFSA completion events. All events are online and require an appointment. Students are encouraged to do the following prior to their appointment: 1. Obtain an FSA ID for the student; 2. Obtain an FSA ID for one parent; 3. Gather the documents needed to complete your FAFSA/TAP applications.
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 3:00 – 7:00 PM
December 12, 2020 9:00 – 1:00 PM
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 3:00 – 7:00 PM
9. IHS Picture Day (December 8-10th). Lifetouch will be at IHS Tuesday, December 8th-Thursday, December 10th. To order pictures online, go to Lifetouch and enter Picture Day ID (EVTQVX66XX). Gold cohort students will get their school pictures taken on Tuesday, December 8th and Red cohort students will get their school photos taken on Thursday, December 10th in J122. Virtual Students: You are welcome to schedule an appointment for any day that works with your schedule. However, please note that on Wednesday, December 9th, the photos will be taken in the Kulp foyer lounge, which will allow students to enter and leave through the front door of Kulp on a day when there are no students in attendance. Please click here to sign up for a day and time to have your photo taken by Lifetouch. Any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the 2021 Yearbook visit our page on the ICSD website.
10. Ithaca High School Drama – Virtual (Friday, December 11th-Sunday, December 13th). Mark your calendars and stay tuned for more information.
11. Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application deadline December 13, 2020). The Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, in partnership with the Fine Arts Booster Group, is offering a creative retreat for teachers of the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) and other districts in Tompkins County during the February and April school breaks, February 13-17, 2021 and April 3-7, 2021. The program is designed to provide 5 day, 4 night residency-type retreats for local teachers in the following disciplines: creative writing, photography/film/video, and painting/sculpture/visual art. The program is totally free to attend. Teachers are selected through a lottery system. The application deadline is December 13, 2020, and the application is available at www.saltonstall.org/teachers. Teachers may choose which session to attend. COVID 19 protocols are in place and described on the website.
12. No School: Winter Recess (Thursday, December 24th-Friday, January 1st). ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21 current version click here. Woo Hoo and Happy New Year!
13. IHS Seniors: Senior Portraits (due January 4th). Senior portraits are due January 4th, but we encourage students to submit them before Winter Break. January 4th is the absolute last day to submit. Any questions please email email@example.com
14. NYS January 2021 Regents Canceled. New York State Cancels Regents Examinations for January 2021. No decisions have been made regarding the June and August 2021 administrations of Regents Examinations or any of the other State assessment programs. Students who have concerns/are impacted by this should reach out to their school counselor.
15. IHS AP Course Form and Fee (due to IHS by March 5th). IHS students taking AP courses are expected to take the AP exam in May 2021 to receive credit for the course. There is a $95 fee for each AP exam. There is no charge for AP exams for students who have applied for and been approved for free and reduced lunch. Please return the AP form (received in the mail) with total fee payment to Mr. Jay Barnes in the College and Career Office or mail it to Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850 (attn. Mr. Barnes) by Friday, March 5th. If you would like to pay by check, please make the check payable to “Ithaca High School.” If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Collier in the Student Services Office (607-254-2157) or Mr Barnes in the College and Career Office (607-274-2218).
16. SAT Subject Tests. While you are thinking about AP exams, it is also a good idea to consider SAT Subject Tests (SAT II), which often coincide with AP exams dates. You’ve put in the studying for your AP exams, why not knock out both and boost your college application?
17. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: January 6, 2021 and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.
18. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .