Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000174 EndHTML:000072950 StartFragment:000000444 EndFragment:000072918 StartSelection:000000444 EndSelection:000072918 SourceURL:about:blank The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 11/04/20
- IHS PTA Membership and Meetings
- ICSD FREE Grab-and-Go Meals
- IHS Athletic Updates/Intent to Play Registration (Winter training starts 11/9; Spring Intent to play opens 11/16)
- IHS Virtual College Visits (11/4-11/20)
- SUNY Financial Aid Days (11/5-11/21)
- NYS Dream Act Workshop (11/7)
- No School Veteran’s Day (11/11)
- WIHL Healthcare Career Workshop (11/11)
- IHS Seniors: Elks Foundation Scholarship (due 11/15)
- IHS Ski Club (early registration 11/15)
- NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Info Night, 11/18 & deadline 12/1)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursdays, 11/5-12/10)
- Arts Education Grant (due 11/19)
- Save the Date: Virtual IHS Drama (12/11-12/13)
- Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application due 12/13)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/6)
- FABG Grants (due 2/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/november-4th/
1. IHS PTA Membership and Meetings. The IHS PTA is currently planning general meetings for the Fall (~November), Winter, and Spring. Stay tuned for dates. In the meantime, please consider becoming a PTA member–it’s easy and your membership supports our incredible IHS students, faculty, and staff.
2. ICSD FREE Grab-and-Go Meals. Beginning December 2, we will be offering home deliveries on Wednesdays for all students learning remotely. FREE grab-and-go meals are served daily for students engaged in distance/hybrid learning. If you would like to place an order for your child/ren, please complete the form below (also available here). The grab-and-go meals are available for pickup Monday through Friday at each of our schools.
3. IHS Athletics Updates
Winter Offseason Training begins November 9. FamilyID opens for “Intent to Play” registration for Spring sports on November 16th. Registration will close on November 30th at 12 pm.
|Season||Family ID Sign Up Window||Off-Season Training Dates|
|Winter Intent to Play||10/19-10/28||11/9-11/24|
|Spring Intent to Play||11/16-11/30||11/30-12/23|
In order for your student to be cleared to participate in off-season training sessions, please go to FamilyID and click on the appropriate “Intent to Play” listing based on playing level (Varsity/JV or Modified) and sport. Due to safety protocols, please know that there is a cap on the number of participants in each group.
Winter Intent to Play training notes:
|Alpine Ski, Boys Swim/Dive, Cheer, Boys and Girls Hockey, Indoor Track and Field, Unified Bowling, and Wrestling||Scheduled in-person slots with Strength and Conditioning staff and virtual sport specific skill instruction|
|Boys and Girls Basketball||Scheduled in-person slot with Strength and Conditioning staff and in-person sport specific skill instruction|
For more information, please see our Winter Return to Play.
4. IHS College Virtual Visits. For more information, students should visit Naviance and register for the virtual link.
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi, November 4th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY Cortland, November 4th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Johnson & Wales University, Providence, November 4th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Wells College, November 4th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- University of Tampa, November 5th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Beloit College, November 6th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Colgate University, November 9th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Utica College, November 10th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University at Buffalo, State University of New York, November 12th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of Pittsburgh-Bradford, November 13th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Duke Kunshan University, November 16th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Marywood University, November 17th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Nazareth College, November 18th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred, November 18th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Purchase College, SUNY, November 18th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Ithaca College, November 18th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Carnegie Mellon University, November 19th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Washington University in St Louis, November 20th, 2020 at 4:45pm
5. SUNY Financial Aid Days (November 5th- November 21st). Students and their families are invited to join one of the virtual SUNY Financial Aid Days. Programs are designed to answer questions and provide assistance regarding the financial aid application, types of aid available, and the award process. These events are free of charge and open to all prospective college students. Students can register for all virtual events at www.suny.edu/studentevents or by calling 1-800-342-3811.
6. New York State Dream Act Workshop (November 7th, 12:00pm and 2:00pm, ZOOM). The New York State Dream Act gives some undocumented and other students, including some out of state students, access to New York State aid. In the NYS Dream Act Workshops students will learn if they are eligible for NY State aid and the process for applying to NY state aid. Students will also receive assistance to complete the NYS Dream Act application. Students can register for all virtual events at www.suny.edu/studentevents or by calling 1-800-342-3811.
7. No School: Veteran’s Day Recess (Wednesday, November 11th). ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21 current version click here. Note: Veteran’s Day Recess Wednesday, November 11th and Thanksgiving Recess Wednesday, November 25th-Friday, November 27th.
8. IHS Students – WIHL Healthcare Career Workshop (Wednesday, November 11th at 10:00am). Interested in Health Careers? The Sloan Program in Health Administration at Cornell University is offering a lecture and discussion over relevant topics in healthcare, leadership opportunities in the health fields, and professional development. Click this link to register.
9. IHS Seniors: Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2021 (deadline November 15th). The Elks National Foundation awards $2.9 million in scholarships to a total of 500 high school seniors nationwide through its Most Valuable Student Contest. The scholarship is competitive and is based on academics, leadership, financial need, and service.
10. IHS Ski Club 2020-21 (early registration deadline November 15th). IHS Ski Club will be skiing on Wednesdays to allow for district transportation and align with more elementary schools so families could ski together. There are two IHS Greek Peak Ski Club Pass Options: 1) all day Wednesday pass, which includes two lessons valid from Jan 6th-March 3rd for $205.00 and 2) Tri-State Flex Pass valid Monday-Thursday from January 4th-March 11th $385.00. If you are a season pass holder and want to be part of the Ithaca High School Ski Club, please use this link to register and select the choice for 0 lessons. There is no cost associated with this option.
Transportation provided using district school buses while abiding by all health screenings, social distancing guidelines, and NYS recommendations. The cost will be $100.00 for six weeks of transportation. Transportation NOT provided if ICSD is closed to in-person learning and goes 100% virtual. If 100% virtual, you will provide your own transportation to Greek Peak and you will be pro-rated a refund for transportation. If you plan to ride the bus, please include this medical form with your payment. Make checks payable to Ithaca High School Ski Club and either drop off in E-16 during the school day or mail to Scott Breigle, Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850.
11. IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (Family Info Night, November 18th at 7:00pm and application deadline December 1st). IHS Seniors–if you are proficient in two or more languages, then please join us online at https://meet.google.com/skj-yngw-kkt for the NYS Seal of Biliteracy Family Information Night on Wednesday, November 18 at 7pm to learn more about this prestigious award. Juniors and their families are welcome to join us, too, so you can begin planning now. The application deadline for seniors is extended to December 1. We are accepting applications via email sent to your school counselor. For more information, please visit our NYS Seal of Biliteracy web page: https://www.ithacacityschools.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1440
12. TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursday, November 5th-December 10th, 4:30-5:30pm). These one-hour workshops will involve a variety of prompts, writing time, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are suitable for people in grades 6-12 (or their homeschool equivalent). Advance registration is required in order to receive the Zoom link.
13. Community Arts Partnership Arts Education Grant (deadline Thursday, November 19th for 2021 projects). Arts Education Grant funds are designed to assist artists in developing and implementing visual and performing arts residencies. The grant can also fund after school programs. New in 2021: Applicants can apply for virtual programming, technical support, and equipment related to delivering programming. No match is required.
14. Ithaca High School Drama – Virtual (Friday, December 11th-Sunday, December 13th). Mark your calendars and stay tuned for more information.
15. Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application deadline December 13, 2020). The Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, in partnership with the Fine Arts Booster Group, is offering a creative retreat for teachers of the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) and other districts in Tompkins County during the February and April school breaks, February 13-17, 2021 and April 3-7, 2021. The program is designed to provide 5 day, 4 night residency-type retreats for local teachers in the following disciplines: creative writing, photography/film/video, and painting/sculpture/visual art. The program is totally free to attend. Teachers are selected through a lottery system. The application deadline is December 13, 2020, and the application is available at www.saltonstall.org/teachers. Teachers may choose which session to attend. COVID 19 protocols are in place and described on the website.
16. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.
17. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. FABG Grants application deadlines are November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .