The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 10/10/18
- IHS Open House (10/11)
- Join the IHS PTA
- IHS PTA Meeting & Gap Year Presentation (11/15)
- IHS Daily Announcements
- Upcoming IHS College Visits
- 2018-2019 Winter Sports Registration (October 5th-November 4th)
- Seniors: IHS Financial Aid Night (10/15)
- IHS Upcoming Fall Sports Senior Nights
- Winter Sports presentation (11/1) & College Signing Day (11/27)
- IHS Clubs *Ski Club (early registration expires 10/15)
- Common App (opened 8/1) & FAFSA (opens 10/1)
- TC3 College Fair (10/16)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Fridays 10/12-12/14)
- Enclose Cass Park Extravaganza (11/4)
- Splash! (11/10)
- DeWitt Career Day (12/7)–presenters needed
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-10th/
- IHS Open House (Thursday, October 11th, 6:15-8:00pm). Ithaca High School’s Open House will be held on Thursday, October 11th from 6:15-8:00pm. We will follow a shortened Day A class schedule beginning with 1st period at 6:30pm. If your student has 0 period, that will begin at 6:18pm. The evening will end at 8:01pm, after 8th period. Please join the IHS PTA in the Cafeteria during Study Halls or Study Periods. Many clubs and student groups will also be showcased in the cafeteria. Hope to see you there!
- Join the IHS PTA! Your membership and donations are essential in supporting our students, our teachers and our school by funding Mini Grants for teachers, the Open House, The Word, the Healthy Snack Program, Achievement Awards, the Staff Appreciation Luncheon, Morning Munch and our Programming. Please consider joining each member in your household, including your students. You can join securely on-line at our new MemberHub Store. Be sure to scroll down on this site to add an extra donation to your shopping basket. You can print and complete the 2018-2019 membership form using the form attached below and sending it into the main office in an envelope marked PTA – membership. Please do not send in loose checks as they tend to get lost. Thank you all for your support!
- IHS PTA Meeting (Thursday, November 15th at 7:00pm, Activities Room). We are hoping to combine our next PTA meeting with an encore presentation on Gap Year opportunities. A Gap Year can be a very good time for a student to step back and do something that may help guide a student’s future goals and interests. Please join us!
- IHS Daily Announcements. We love our students, but sometimes they are not the best at sharing information. Check out IHS Daily Announcements to follow daily IHS news & updates.
- Upcoming IHS College Visits (College & Career Office/Main Office):
- St. Lawrence University, October 11th at 10:37am
- Sarah Lawrence College, October 11th at 11:27am
- Cazenovia College, October 15th at 9:45am
- Onondaga Community College, October 15th at 10:37am
- SUNY Canton, October 15th at 11:27am
- SUNY Brockport, October 15th at 12:17pm
- Hobart & William Smith College, October 16th at 8:55am
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), October 16th at 9:45am
- SUNY Albany, October 16th at 10:37am
- Middlebury College, October 17th at 8:55am
- SUNY College at Geneseo, October 18th at 10:37am
- Colgate University, October 18th at 11:27am
- SUNY College at Oneonta, October 19th at 9:45am
- Dickinson College, October 19th at 11:27am
- Corning Community College, October 19th at 12:17pm
- 2018-2019 Winter Sports Registration (October 5th-November 4th). Please register through Family ID. Varsity/JV Winter sports start Monday, November 5th.
- Seniors: Financial Aid Night (Monday, October 15th, 6:00-7:30pm, Kulp).
Our financial aid night will be presented by Barbie Bargher, Assistant Director of Student Financial Services at Ithaca College. She will provide financial aid information to seniors and their families. Please do not miss out on this important event. Hope to see you there.
- IHS Upcoming Senior Nights-Fall Athletics. Come out and show our seniors the love! Upcoming Senior Nights:
Football-October 19th (vs. Union Endicott); and
Volleyball-October 23rd (vs. Owego).
- IHS Winter Sports presentation (Thursday, November 1st) & College Signing Day (Tuesday, November 27th). On November 1st William Harris, Winter Sports Speaker, will present to the Captain’s Council (8:00-8:30am, Activities Building) and to Student-Athletes, Families, Coaches, & Community Members (5:30-6:15pm, Orchestra Room A156). On November 27th student-athletes will commit to schools during the college signing ceremony (5:30pm, Activities Building).
- IHS Clubs. IHS has something for everyone! Get involved, meet some new people, and have fun. For a complete list check out this link. Special shoutout to the IHS Ski Club. If interested please see Mr. Noyes in G116. Early registration expires October 15th.
- College Application Dates for Seniors (Class of 2019). FAFSA opened October 15, 2018. “May the odds be ever in your favor.”
- TC-3 College Fair (Tuesday, October 16th) Juniors and seniors interested in attending the TC-3 College Fair on Tuesday, October 16th. The college fair will have an evening session from 6:00-8:00pm for students wishing to attend with their parents. Ithaca High School will not provide transportation for the evening session.
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Fridays October 12th-December 14th, 4:30-5:30pm). Teens (grades 6-12) can flex their creative muscles in TCPL’s weekly after school writing workshops. Sign up for a couple or take them all – each week will be something a little different but attendance at all sessions is not required. These one-hour classes will be led by Writopia-trained students from Ithaca College. No class on October 19, November 16, or November 23. For more information contact Teen Services Librarian Regina (email@example.com).
- Enclose Cass Extravaganza (Sunday, November 4th). The Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau will host the second annual community event for all ages on Sunday, November 4 to benefit the Cass Park Arena Enclosure Campaign supporting upgrades that will retain the arena’s traditional charm while making it more sustainable and successful. Events: Food Truck and Bake Sale (12 noon to 7 pm); Skate-a-thon–collect donations per lap or minute in advance or on Nov. 4 (2:30 to 5:15 pm); Broomball–fun games for teams or individuals paying entry fee (5:30 to 10 pm); Silent Auction and Raffle – Cass Park lobby (3 to 8 pm). Advance registration is recommended for Broomball. Let us know if you’d like to help! To learn more, visit The Cass Park Campaign Facebook page. To ask questions or get involved, contact Mary Grainger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 280-4380.
- Splash! at Cornell Fall 2018 (Saturday, November 10th). Splash! brings area 7th-12th grade students to the Cornell campus for one day each semester to take “teach anything, learn anything” classes taught by Cornell undergrads. Look for more information in the coming weeks about first-come, first-serve student registration.
- DeWitt Career Day (Friday, December 7th, 10:00am-12:00pm and/or 12:30-3:15pm). The folks at DeWitt Middle school are looking for presenters to share their careers with their 8th grade students. Presentations will last approximately 35 minutes. If interested in presenting, please contact Amy Cullen at email@example.com.