The following is a weekly “e-newsletter” containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This “e-newsletter” is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA “E-News” 10/11/2017
- IHS PTA Membership-now you can join online!
- IHS Daily Announcements
- IHS College Visits (10/12-10/20)
- TC3 College Fair (10/17)
- IHS Open House (10/19)
- IHS Financial Aid Night (10/23)
- IHS Athletics Hall of Fame Nominations (due 11/1)
- IHS Winter Sports Forms (due 11/3)
- Enclose Cass Extravaganza (11/4)
- IHS Spring Musical (meeting 11/8)
- IHS Clubs
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club
- “Play it Again, Ithaca” used musical instruments needed
- Rotary International Youth Exchange Scholarship – Applicants needed
- Rotary Youth Exchange – Host families needed
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-11th/
- Join the IHS PTA! Your membership (parents, grandparents, caregivers, teachers, staff, and students) supports our students, our school and all that the PTA does, including: Mini-Grants, Open House, “The Guide,” “The Word,” Healthy Snack Program, Achievement Awards, Programs, Staff Appreciation Luncheon and Brunches, etc. NEW! Now you can join the IHS PTA on-line. Just click this link !
- IHS Daily Announcements. Keep up with the IHS daily news, clubs, opportunities and checkout the IHS Daily Announcements. Pro tip–some students are not the best in sharing school information.
- IHS college visits. It’s that time of year again! Representatives from many colleges visit IHS to meet with interested students in the College & Career Center/Main Office. A great opportunity to ask questions and put a face to a name on your application. To see all scheduled college visits, log into Naviance from the Student Services page and click Colleges tab. Upcoming visits:
* The Culinary Institute of America (10/12, 9:00am)
* Finger Lakes School of Massage (10/12, 10:37am)
* Arnot Ogden School of Nursing (10/16, 9:45am)
* SUNY Canton (10/16, 11:27am)
* Oberlin College (10/17, 9:00am)
* Seton Hall University (10/17, 9:00am)
* Johnson & Wales University (10/17, 9:45am)
* University of Tampa (10/17, 10:37am)
* University of Chicago (10/17, 1:07pm)
* Vanderbilt University (10/19, 9:45am)
* Colgate University (10/19, 11:27am)
* SUNY Cobleskill (10/20, 1:07pm)
- TC3 College Fair (Tuesday, October 17th). Juniors and Seniors interested in attending the TC3 College Fair on Tuesday, October 17th should have picked up and returned their permission slip to attend during the day session by October 2nd. The College Fair will also have an evening session from 6-8 p.m. for students wishing to attend with their parents. IHS will not provide transportation for the evening session.
- IHS Open House (Thursday, October 19th, 6:30-9:15pm). Experience your student’s compressed schedule and meet their wonderful teachers.
- IHS Financial Aid Night (Monday, October 23rd, 6:00-7:30pm). IHS Financial Aid Night presentation will be taking place Monday, October 23rd from 6:00-7:30pm in York Lecture Hall. Our presenter will be Mrs. Barbie Bargher, Assistant Director in the Office of Student Financial Services from Ithaca College. We hope that this evening will help you and your parents understand the financial aid process as you continue to plan for the costs of higher education.
- IHS Athletics Hall of Fame Seeks Nominations (deadline Wednesday, November 1st). ICSD Director of Athletics and Wellness Samantha Little has announced that the Ithaca High School Hall of Fame Committee is seeking nominations for the next induction class Candidates—male and female—must have graduated from IHS 10 or more years ago and have had an outstanding athletic career while in high school. In addition to student-athletes, candidates can be coaches or friends of IHS Athletics. Nomination forms can be found online or in the IHS Athletics Office. Nominations are due no later than November 1, 2017. If you have any questions, please contact Hall of Fame Committee Chair Jeff True.
- IHS Winter Sports Forms (deadline Friday, November 3rd JV/Varsity). November 3 is the last day to submit JV/Varsity sports forms to the Ithaca High School Medical Office. 7th/8th grade forms are submitted to your home school. *Girls Basketball, Boys Swimming and Wrestling will pilot Family ID- electronic sports forms to sign up. More information.
- Enclose Cass Extravaganza (Saturday, November 4th). The Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau will host this 2nd annual community event for all-ages on Saturday, November 4. The event benefits the Cass Park Arena Enclosure Campaign, which will help fund upgrades to retain the arena’s traditional charm while making it more sustainable and successful. Activities include:
- Silo Food Truck features fried chicken and mac & cheese, plus there’s a bake sale from noon to 7 p.m.
- A Ice Skate-a-thon from 2:15 to 5 p.m.
- Broomball from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Teams and individuals welcome.
- Silent Auction in the Cass Park Rink lobby from 3 to 8 p.m.
Advance registration is recommended for Broomball. Also, let us know if you’d like to help! To learn more, go to http://www.friendsiyb.org/enclose-cass-extravaganza. To ask questions or get involved, contact Mary Grainger or 280-4380.
- IHS Spring Musical (mandatory meeting Wednesday, November 8th). The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Auditions November 12-13th and call backs November 15th. If interested, student & parent/guardian must attend informational meeting on November 8th 7:00-8:15pm.
- IHS Clubs are a great way to get involved. So many clubs to choose from! If your student has an interest, chances are there is a club for that. Check out the many clubs IHS offers, get involved, meet new friends, and have fun.
- TCPL Young Adult Book Club (meets 3rd Wednesday of the month, this month– October 18th). TCPL will host the inaugural session of this year’s Young Adult Book Club, a monthly discussion group for middle and high school students starting September 20th from 4:30-5:30pm in the Thaler/Howell Room. The club meets on the third Wednesday of the month. Free copies of club titles to keep.
- “Play it Again, Ithaca”-Used Musical Instruments Needed. If you have a musical instrument collecting dust, the Fine Arts Boosters Group (FABG) would love to hear from you. FABG collects donated used musical instruments to support ICSD’s music education program. Instruments donated are professionally repaired and become part of the ICSD collection of instruments available for free use to students in the district.
- Seeking Applicants–Rotary International Youth Exchange Scholarship (valued at $25,000). Winners of a Rotary Scholarship spend one school year in a foreign country living with families, learning the language and customs while attending school. Unlike other programs, Rotary scholars do not pay for room, board or tuition (scholarship valued at $25,000). Candidates (under age 18 on date of departure) are awarded to teenagers who are outgoing, friendly, adaptable and who are independent. Questions? Please contact Erick Schnell, Committee Chairman, Rotary International Youth Exchange.
- Rotary Youth Exchange. Rotary Youth Exchange provides thousands of young people with the opportunity to meet people from other countries and to experience their cultures, thus promoting international understanding and peace. The Ithaca Rotary Club still needs host families for our Rotary Exchange Students. Learn all about the program at this dedicated web site for District 7170: Rotary-Youth-Exchange.com!