The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 10/21/20
- IHS PTA Gearing Up for 2020-21
- IHS Attendance & Main Office New Location
- IHS Athletic Updates/Intent to Play Registration (Winter season 10/19-10/28)
- Little Red Leadership Institute (LRLI) (starts 10/21)
- IHS Virtual College Visits (10/21-10/30)
- IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (due 11/1)
- IHS Seniors: Elks Foundation Scholarship (due 11/15)
- IHS Ski Club (early registration 11/15)
- ICSD 2020-21 Calendar (No School 11/11)
- IHS Clubs
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursdays, 10/22-12/10)
- FABG Grants (Cycle I due 11/1)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/6)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-21st/
1. IHS PTA Gearing up for 2020-21. The IHS PTA is gearing up for meetings and programming. Please stay tuned for upcoming dates. In the meantime, please consider joining the IHS PTA. There are 2 options: 1. Return the PTA membership form in the IHS information packet or 2. Join via the secure, online form. The online form has other options (e.g., student membership and additional donation links). Every bit helps and we appreciate your support.
2. New IHS Attendance and Main Office Location. The Attendance Office and Main Office are now located in the IHS Family and Community Welcome Center (formerly Activities).
3. IHS Athletics Updates
The Southern Tier Athletic Conference (STAC) has agreed to postpone all league play and follow the NYSPHSAA condensed fall, winter, and spring seasons beginning January 4, 2021. The tentative start date for fall sports is March 1, 2021.
Condensed Season Plan (Dates subject to change)
- Season I (Winter Sports): January 4 – March 13
- Season II (Fall Sports): March 1 – April 24
- Season III (Spring Sports): April 19 – June 12
Intent to Play Registration Dates: For more information, please click ICSD Athletics Return to Play for Students and Families.
|Season||Family ID Sign Up Window||Off-Season Training Dates|
|Winter Intent to Play||10/19-10/28||11/2-11/25|
|Spring Intent to Play||11/16-11/30||11/30-12/23|
4. Big Red Leadership Institute (BRLI)/Little Red Leadership Institute (LRLI). ICSD Student-Athletes (grades 9-12) and Cornell BRLI student-athletes will lead the virtual sessions. **Student-athletes do not need to have served as a captain on a team before, they just need to be committed to doing the work to further their journey of self. Goal is to empower student-athletes to confidently assume roles as both team leaders and teammates for the betterment of their teams, their community, and their future beyond ICSD. All grade levels will meet via Zoom Wednesdays–10/21, 11/4, 2/10, 3/10, 4/14. The deadline to sign-up is 10/20.
5. IHS College Virtual Visits. For more information, students should visit Naviance and register for the virtual link.
- University of Rochester, October 21st, 2020 at 10:00am
- Canisius College, October 21st, 2020 at 12:00pm
- University of Vermont, October 21st, 2020 at 2:00pm
- University of Connecticut, October 21st, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Niagara University, October 22nd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Rochester Institute of Technology, October 23rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- State University of New York at New Paltz, October 26th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Kenyon College, October 27th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Clark University, October 28th, 2020 at 10:00am
- Hamilton College, October 28th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Davidson College, October 28th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Paul Smiths College of Arts and Science, October 28th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Wells College, October 29th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte, October 30th, 2020 at 4:45pm
6. IHS Seniors: New York State Seal of Biliteracy (NYSSB) (Deadline, November 1st). To be awarded the NYSSB, students must complete all requirements for graduating with a Regents diploma and successfully demonstrate proficiency in English and another world language. The NYSSB application is for seniors only and is due November 1 of their senior year.
7. IHS Seniors: Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2021 (deadline November 15th). The Elks National Foundation awards $2.9 million in scholarships to a total of 500 high school seniors nationwide through its Most Valuable Student Contest. The scholarship is competitive and is based on academics, leadership, financial need, and service.
8. IHS Ski Club 2020-21 (early registration deadline November 15th). IHS Ski Club will be skiing on Wednesdays to allow for district transportation and align with more elementary schools so families could ski together. There are two IHS Greek Peak Ski Club Pass Options: 1) all day Wednesday pass, which includes two lessons valid from Jan 6th-March 3rd for $205.00 and 2) Tri-State Flex Pass valid Monday-Thursday from January 4th-March 11th $385.00. If you are a season pass holder and want to be part of the Ithaca High School Ski Club, please use this link to register and select the choice for 0 lessons. There is no cost associated with this option.
Transportation provided using district school buses while abiding by all health screenings, social distancing guidelines, and NYS recommendations. The cost will be $100.00 for six weeks of transportation. Transportation NOT provided if ICSD is closed to in-person learning and goes 100% virtual. If 100% virtual, you will provide your own transportation to Greek Peak and you will be pro-rated a refund for transportation. If you plan to ride the bus, please include this medical form with your payment. Make checks payable to Ithaca High School Ski Club and either drop off in E-16 during the school day or mail to Scott Breigle, Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850.
9. IHS Clubs:
- IHS Yearbook. Interested in the IHS Yearbook? Please click the following links: IHS Yearbook 101 and IHS Yearbook Recruiting Video.
- The Tattler! Interested in joining the staff of your IHS student newspaper? Please click the following links: The Tattler!
10. ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21. The academic calendar was updated on August 18, 2020. For the current version click here. Note: Veteran’s Day Recess Wednesday, November 11th and Thanksgiving Recess Wednesday, November 25th-Friday, November 27th.
11. TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursday, October 22nd-December 10th, 4:30-5:30pm). These one-hour workshops will involve a variety of prompts, writing time, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are suitable for people in grades 6-12 (or their homeschool equivalent). Advance registration is required in order to receive the Zoom link.
12. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. FABG Grants application deadlines are November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .
13. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.