The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. Â This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 10/24/18
- IHS Makeup Picture Day (10/29)
- Morning Munch (11/1)–goodies needed
- Join the IHS PTA
- IHS PTA Meeting & Gap Year Presentation (11/15)
- IHS Daily Announcements
- Upcoming IHS College Visits
- 2018-2019 Winter Sports Registration (October 5th-November 4th)
- IHS Clubs
- Leaf Raking for Morocco
- FABG Fall General Meeting (10/25)
- Winter Sports presentation (11/1) & College Signing Day (11/27)
- Presentation Slides: IHS Financial Aid Night 2018
- College Application dates: FAFSA & CSS Profile opened 10/1
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Fridays 10/26-12/14)
- TCPL Halloween Move: A Quiet Place (10/31)
- TCPL & Cayuga Chamber Orchestra: Peter and the Wolf (11/1)
- Enclose Cass Park Extravaganza (SUNDAY, 11/4)
- Splash! (11/10)–registration now open
- DeWitt Career Day (12/7)–presenters needed
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-24th/
- IHS Makeup Picture Day (Monday, October 29th). If you missed Picture Day–fear not. IHS makeup Picture Day is Monday, October 29th. SENIORS: yearbook portraits are due December 6th.
- IHS Teacher/Staff Breakfast (Thursday, November 1, 2018). Donations of food are needed for next Thursday, November 1st for Morning Munch–breakfast compliments of parents. Repeatedly, the teachers remark what a great event this is and how appreciative they are of the parents for providing all the food and fresh hot coffee to start their day. We need your help!
Fresh Fruit: We welcome fresh fruit (apples, bananas, clementines) that are easy for teachers to grab on the go and no preparation on your part.
Purchased Food: A variety of purchased food makes a good choice for the Munch–including breakfast pastry, muffins, donuts, cookies, granola bars you name it.
Homemade Baked Goods: Yes, everyone loves to see the homemade goodies that make the Munch so personal. Homemade items including but not limited to brownies, fruit crisp, bars, cookies, banana bread, muffins, coffee cake and scones make a great morning treat.
Gift CardsCash/check to IHS PTA: These would be helpful for the following months. Each month we purchase yogurt and fresh fruit for yogurt parfaits along with Ithaca Bakery bagels and cream cheese. Wegmans, BJ’s, and Ithaca Bakery gift cards are all good choices that help cover this expense.
Food may be brought to room F36 (enter through F35) near the cafeteria on Thursday morning or dropped off in the Main Office. Please contact one of the coordinators if you need to arrange an earlier drop off. THANK YOU!
- Join the IHS PTA! Your membership and donations are essential in supporting our students, our teachers and our school by funding Mini Grants for teachers, the Open House, The Word, the Healthy Snack Program, Achievement Awards, the Staff Appreciation Luncheon, Morning Munch and our Programming. Please consider joining each member in your household, including your students. You can join securely on-line at our new MemberHub Store. Be sure to scroll down on this site to add an extra donation to your shopping basket. You can print and complete the 2018-2019 membership form our website (http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/) and sending it into the main office in an envelope marked PTA – membership. Please do not send in loose checks or cash as they tend to get lost. Thank you all for your support!
- IHS PTA Meeting (Thursday, November 15th at 7:00pm, Activities Room). We are hoping to combine our next PTA meeting with an encore presentation on Gap Year opportunities. A Gap Year can be a very good time for a student to step back and do something that may help guide a student’s future goals and interests. Please join us!
- IHS Daily Announcements. We love our students, but sometimes they are not the best at sharing information. Check out IHS Daily Announcements to follow daily IHS news & updates.
- Upcoming IHS College Visits (College & Career Office/Main Office):
- Utica College, October 24th at 10:37am
- Rochester Institute of Technology, October 25th at 8:55am
- Le Moyne College, October 26th at 11:27am
- Binghamton University, October 29th at Â 8:55am
- Skidmore College, October 29th at 12:17pm
- SUNY ESF, October 31st at 8:55am
- Nazareth University, October 31st at 12:17pm
- Hampshire College, November 1st at 11:27am
- University of Buffalo, November 5th at 12:30pm
- 2018-2019 Winter Sports Registration (October 5th-November 4th). Please register through Family ID. Varsity/JV Winter sports start Monday, November 5th.
- IHS Clubs. IHS has something for everyone! Get involved, meet some new people, and have fun. For a complete list check out this link. Special shoutout to the IHS Ski Club. If interested please see Mr. Noyes in G116.
- Leaf Raking for Morocco. The IHS Morocco Cultural Exchange Club is running a fundraiser for their upcoming trip to Morocco in April. If you have leaves that need raking please consider asking the club to come rake them for you. The price is negotiable so everyone can come out ahead. If interested please call (315) 723-8915 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you so much!
- Fall Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) General Meeting (Thursday, October 25th, 5:30-7:00pm, IHS Choir Room). The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG), an affiliate of IPEI, will hold a general meeting Thursday, October 25, 2018 from 5:30-7:00 p.m. at the Ithaca High School Chorus Room. FABG supports all the arts in all the elementary and secondary schools in the Ithaca City School District (ICSD).The meeting is open to parents/caregivers, staff, students, and community members. The public is invited to hear presentations from new ICSD Fine Arts and Performing Arts Director Daphne Shululu regarding the “State of the Arts”, as well as classroom instruction information from teachers. The boosters will also discuss upcoming goals. Refreshments will be provided at the meeting.
- IHS Winter Sports presentation (Thursday, November 1st) & College Signing Day (Tuesday, November 27th). On November 1st William Harris, Winter Sports Speaker, will present to the Captain’s Council (8:00-8:30am, Activities Building) and to Student-Athletes, Families, Coaches, & Community Members (5:30-6:15pm, Orchestra Room A156). On November 27th student-athletes will commit to schools during the college signing ceremony (5:30pm, Activities Building).
- Presentation Slides: Financial Aid Night 2018. Financial Aid Night 2018 was presented by Barbie Bargher, Assistant Director of Student Financial Services at Ithaca College. She provided financial aid information to seniors and their families. If you missed it–not to worry! Presentation slides are posted on the Student Services website.
- College Application Dates for Seniors (Class of 2019). FAFSA and CSS Profile opened October 1, 2018. “May the odds be ever in your favor.”
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Fridays October 26th-December 14th, 4:30-5:30pm). Teens (grades 6-12) can flex their creative muscles in TCPL’s weekly after school writing workshops. Sign up for a couple or take them all – each week will be something a little different but attendance at all sessions is not required. These one-hour classes will be led by Writopia-trained students from Ithaca College. November 16 or November 23. For more information contact Teen Services Librarian Regina (email@example.com).
- TCPL to host Halloween Move: A Quiet Place (Wednesday, October 31st, 6:00-8:00pm). Tompkins County Public Library will screen A Quiet Place from 6:00-8:00pm in the BorgWarner Community Room. All welcome…if you dare.
- Cayuga Chamber Orchestra to Present Peter and the Wolf (Thursday, November 1st, 4:00-5:00pm). Tompkins County Public Library in partnership with the Cayuga Chamber Orchestra will present a free, family-friendly concert on Thursday, November 1st from 4:00-5:00pm in the Library’s BorgWarner Community Room. For more information, please contact the Youth Services Librarian Kate.
- Enclose Cass Extravaganza (Sunday, November 4th). The Friends of the Ithaca Youth Bureau will host the second annual community event for all ages on Sunday, November 4 to benefit the Cass Park Arena Enclosure Campaign supporting upgrades that will retain the arena’s traditional charm while making it more sustainable and successful. Events: Food Truck and Bake Sale (12 noon to 7 pm); Skate-a-thon–collect donations per lap or minute in advance or on Nov. 3 (2:30 to 5:15 pm); Broomball–fun games for teams or individuals paying entry fee (5:30 to 10 pm); Silent Auction and Raffle – Cass Park lobby (3 to 8 pm). Advance registration is recommended for Broomball. Let us know if you’d like to help! To learn more, visit The Cass Park Campaign Facebook page. To ask questions or get involved, contact Mary Grainger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 280-4380.
- Splash! at Cornell Fall 2018 (Saturday, November 10th). Splash! brings area 7th-12th grade students to the Cornell campus for one day each semester to take “teach anything, learn anything” classes taught by Cornell undergrads. First-come, first-served registration is now open.
- DeWitt Career Day (Friday, December 7th, 10:00am-12:00pm and/or 12:30-3:15pm). The folks at DeWitt Middle school are looking for presenters to share their careers with their 8th grade students. Presentations will last approximately 35 minutes. If interested in presenting, please contact Amy Cullen at email@example.com.