The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 10/27/2021
- Save the Date: IHS PTA Meeting (11/30)
- IHS AP Course Registration (deadline 11/1)
- IHS Athletics Updates
- IHS Virtual College Visits
- IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (deadline 11/8)
- IHS Seniors: Elks Foundation Scholarship (deadline 11/15)
- IHS Seniors: Graduation Gown Ordering Days (11/18-19)
- IHS Clubs
- IHS Community Closet – donations needed
- Save the Date Graduation 2022 (6/21/22)
- Cornell Girls Who Code (10/31)
- TCPL Virtual Teen Writing Workshops (starts 11/2)
- Cornell Splash! Virtual Fall 2021 (11/13)
- Constance Saltonstall Foundation Teacher Retreat Residency (deadline 12/12)
- IPEI 2021-22 Red and Gold and Teacher Grants (deadline 1/22/22)
- FABG Grants Deadlines (10/15 & 2/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-27th/
1. Save the Date: IHS PTA Meeting (Tuesday, November 30th). Please save Tuesday, November 30th for the IHS PTA General Meeting (all welcome). More information to come…
2. IHS AP Course Registration (deadline Monday, November 1st). (Please disregard if not taking an AP course.) To register: please watch How to sign up – Video: https://youtu.be/jnbQXHNzUaM and 1. Get your join code(s); 2. Sign in to My AP. myap.collegeboard.org; 3. Choose to join a course; 4. Enter your join code; 5. Check the course information; and 6. Fill out registration information. Questions? Ask you AP teacher or AP coordinator.
3. IHS Athletics Updates
- We appreciate our scholars supporting athletic contests and our school community. Please be mindful scholars are not to stay after school to wait for an athletic contest to start. Scholars need to leave campus and arrive on campus prior to the start of the athletic contest. Thank you!
- Please also note that students in 6th-8th may not attend sporting events without an Administration, parent/guardian or adult.
- Winter Sports Sign-Ups
- JV/Varsity Winter Sports offered (9th-12th): Unified Bowling; Girls Varsity Cheer; B/G Varsity Alpine Ski, Boys & Girls Varsity & JV Basketball; Boys & Girls Varsity Hockey; Boys Varsity Wrestling; Boys & Girls Varsity Indoor Track; Boys Varsity Swim.
- The National Letter of Intent signing ceremony for ICSD scholars will be held in the Multi-Purpose Room at IHS on Wednesday, November 17th beginning at 5:30pm. More information to come.
- Please see the Athletics Website for the most recent updates throughout the school year and contact the Athletics Office at 274-2155 with any questions.
4. IHS College Representative September Virtual Visits (sign up in Naviance):
- University of Toronto on Wednesday, October 27th at 10:45am
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred on Wednesday, October 27th at 4:15pm
- Hampshire College on Thursday, October 28th at 10:50am
- Johns Hopkins University on Thursday, October 28th at 11:40am
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi on Friday, October 29th at 10:50am
- Emerson College on Friday, October 29th at 11:40am
- Long Island University on Wednesday, November 3rd at 4:15pm
- Johnson & Wales University-Providence on Thursday, November 4th at 12:30pm
- University of Scranton on Friday, November 5th at 10:50am
- SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry on Tuesday, November 9th at 10:50am
- Mansfield University of Pennsylvania on Monday, November 15th at 10:50am
- SUNY Buffalo State on Tuesday, November 16th at 12:30pm
5. IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (application deadline Monday, November 8th). The Ithaca City School District is proud to be awarding the NYS Seal of Biliteracy for the fourth year to eligible seniors. The NYSSB Application deadline is November 8. For more information, go to the NYSSB webpage here: https://www.ithacacityschools.org/district page.cfm?pageid=1440
6. IHS Seniors: Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2022 (deadline November 15, 2021). Elks National Foundation will award a total of 500 Most Valuable Student Scholarships, ranging from $4,000 to $50,000 (paid out over four years). The scholarship contest is open to any high school senior who is a US citizen and will attend a four-year school after graduation. Elk affiliation is NOT required. This is a competitive contest based on academics, leadership, service, and financial need.
7. IHS Seniors: Graduation Gown Ordering Days (November 18-19, 2021 lunch times). More information to follow.
8. IHS Clubs. As of this posting, IHS will offer clubs for the 2021-22 school year. IHS clubs types include: Service Clubs, Culture, Knowledge & Competition, Arts & Performance, Sports & Leisure, Leadership, and Media & Communication. Don’t see something you like? Start a new one! Something for everyone and all are welcome to join.
9. IHS Community Closet Needs Your Help! The IHS Community Closet is a free and confidential space for students to shop for clothes, shoes, and toiletries. It is set up like a store, except everything is free. If your student has outgrown clothes and/or shoes, and they are in great condition, please consider donating to the Community Closet. Some of the most in-demand items are:
- Sneakers, all sizes, gently used and clean, especially Men’s sizes 10-13 and Women’s sizes 7-9
- Men’s sweatpants/joggers
- Winter gloves and hats
We accept clean and gently used clothes in sizes Youth L to Adult 3XL. We only accept NEW toiletries, socks, and underwear. Toiletries, especially hair products for all hair types, are in high demand. Period products are also in high demand. If you’d like to donate, or have your student shop the Closet, please contact IHS Teacher-Librarian Rachel McDonald (email@example.com).
10. Save the Date 2022 IHS Graduation (Tuesday, June 21, 2022). Inclement weather date Wednesday, June 22, 2022. More information to follow in the Spring.
11. Cornell Girls Who Code (Sundays, October 31th-December 5th). We are excited to announce that registration for our Fall 2021 Girls Who Code program is now open! Students will be able to attend free weekly classes where they will get the chance to learn the basics of computer science by using software and hardware to create their own projects and tackle real-world problems. The class is open to all genders. No experience necessary! If you’re interested, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/iAax4RtRa1PJZtGw8
- Middle School: Sundays from 12pm-1:30pm
- High School: Sundays from 2pm-3:30pm
- Location: Cornell University, Room TBD (more information regarding specific room location will be provided after registering)
12. TCPL Virtual Teen Writing Workshop (Tuesday, November 2nd-December 7th, 4:30-5:30pm). The Virtual Teen Writing Workshops will involve a variety of prompts, writing time, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are suitable for people in grades 6-12 (or their homeschool equivalent). Advance registration is required in order to receive the Zoom link. NOTE: There will be NO class on Tuesday, November 23rd.
13. Cornell Splash! Virtual Fall 2021 (Saturday, November 13th). Our Fall 2021 event will be held on Saturday, November 13th. If you are interested in attending, please visit our website to create an account and register for Splash 2021. Registration is first-come-first-serve and creating an account will let you stay up to date with our program as well as course registration, which will open in the coming weeks. Please note that because our program is being run virtually, we are limiting enrollment to ages 13 and above.
14. Constance Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts Partners with Fine Arts Boosters to Host Teacher Retreat Residency (deadline: December 12, 2021). The Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, in partnership with the Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG), an affiliate of IPEI, is offering a creative retreat for teachers of the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) and other districts in Tompkins County during the February and April school breaks, Saturday to Wednesday, February 19-23, 2022 and Saturday to Wednesday, April 9-13, 2022. Teachers may choose which session to attend. COVID 19 protocols are in place and described on the website. Application available online.
15. IPEI 2021-22 Red and Gold and Teacher Grants (Applications due: January 5, 2022 and March 16, 2022). Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) supports educators with innovative ideas that energize the curriculum and foster authentic learning experiences that reach all students. Our programs bring a diverse range of community resources into the classroom, stretching students’ imaginations, increasing engagement, and enhancing education. Applications are available online: https://www.ipei.org/grants/.
16. Fine Arts Boosters Group Announces 2021-22 Grant Deadlines (February 1, 2022). The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) announces grant deadlines for the 2021-2022 school year to support Ithaca City School District students’ arts learning. FABG Grants application deadlines is February 1, 2022. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive, by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org. Grant applications are submitted electronically.