The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 10/28/20
- IHS Attendance & Main Office New Location
- IHS Athletic Updates/Intent to Play Registration (Winter intent deadline 10/28; training starts 11/9)
- IHS Virtual College Visits (10/28-11/6)
- Pathways to Careers (10/29)
- SUNY Financial Aid Days (10/31-11/21)
- IHS Seniors: NYS Seal of Biliteracy (due 11/1)
- IHS Seniors: Elks Foundation Scholarship (due 11/15)
- IHS Ski Club (early registration 11/15)
- IHS Clubs
- ICSD 2020-21 Calendar (No School 11/11)
- TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursdays, 10/29-12/10)
- FABG Grants (Cycle I due 11/1)
- Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application due 12/13)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle II due 1/6)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-28th/
1. New IHS Attendance and Main Office Location. The Attendance Office and Main Office are now located in the IHS Family and Community Welcome Center (formerly Activities).
2. IHS Athletics Updates
Although we had originally planned to begin Winter Offseason Training on November 2, out of an abundance of caution, we are delaying the start of our training sessions until November 9. FamilyID remains open for “Intent to Play” registration for Winter sports off-season training. Registration will close on October 28 at 12 pm.
|Season||Family ID Sign Up Window||Off-Season Training Dates|
|Winter Intent to Play||10/19-10/28||11/9-11/24|
|Spring Intent to Play||11/16-11/30||11/30-12/23|
In order for your student to be cleared to participate in off-season training sessions, please go to FamilyID and click on the appropriate “Intent to Play” listing based on playing level (Varsity/JV or Modified) and sport. Due to safety protocols, please know that there is a cap on the number of participants in each group.
To help you make a decision about participation in Winter Intent to Play, please note the following:
|Alpine Ski, Boys Swim/Dive, Cheer, Boys and Girls Hockey, Indoor Track and Field, Unified Bowling, and Wrestling||Scheduled in-person slots with Strength and Conditioning staff and virtual sport specific skill instruction|
|Boys and Girls Basketball||Scheduled in-person slot with Strength and Conditioning staff and in-person sport specific skill instruction|
For more information, please see our Winter Return to Play.
3. IHS College Virtual Visits. For more information, students should visit Naviance and register for the virtual link.
- Clark University, October 28th, 2020 at 10:00am
- Hamilton College, October 28th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Davidson College, October 28th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Paul Smiths College of Arts and Science, October 28th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Wells College, October 29th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte, October 30th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- SUNY College at Brockport, November 2nd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh, November 3rd, 2020 at 4:45pm
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi, November 4th, 2020 at 10:00am
- SUNY Cortland, November 4th, 2020 at 12:00pm
- Johnson & Wales University, Providence, November 4th, 2020 at 2:00pm
- Wells College, November 4th, 2020 at 4:00pm
- University of Tampa, November 5th, 2020 at 4:45pm
- Beloit College, November 6th, 2020 at 4:45pm
4. Pathways to Careers (Thursday, October 29th, 5:30-7:00pm ZOOM). College is not the only path to a rewarding career. This ZOOM event features a panel with representatives from BOCES, manufacturing, apprenticeships, community colleges, and others to help parents, students, and school counselors see the amazing career opportunities here in CNY. Participants can ask questions at the end of the panel discussion. For more information, call 315-463-1904 or email Renee Stone.
5. SUNY Financial Aid Days (October 31st-November 21st). Students and their families are invited to join one of the virtual SUNY Financial Aid Days. Programs are designed to answer questions and provide assistance regarding the financial aid application, types of aid available, and the award process. These events are free of charge and open to all prospective college students. NYS Dream Act Workshops (November 7th at 12:00pm and 2:00pm) are also available. Students can register for all virtual events at www.suny.edu/studentevents or by calling 1-800-342-3811.
6. IHS Seniors: New York State Seal of Biliteracy (NYSSB) (Deadline, November 1st). To be awarded the NYSSB, students must complete all requirements for graduating with a Regents diploma and successfully demonstrate proficiency in English and another world language. The NYSSB application is for seniors only and is due November 1 of their senior year.
7. IHS Seniors: Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2021 (deadline November 15th). The Elks National Foundation awards $2.9 million in scholarships to a total of 500 high school seniors nationwide through its Most Valuable Student Contest. The scholarship is competitive and is based on academics, leadership, financial need, and service.
8. IHS Ski Club 2020-21 (early registration deadline November 15th). IHS Ski Club will be skiing on Wednesdays to allow for district transportation and align with more elementary schools so families could ski together. There are two IHS Greek Peak Ski Club Pass Options: 1) all day Wednesday pass, which includes two lessons valid from Jan 6th-March 3rd for $205.00 and 2) Tri-State Flex Pass valid Monday-Thursday from January 4th-March 11th $385.00. If you are a season pass holder and want to be part of the Ithaca High School Ski Club, please use this link to register and select the choice for 0 lessons. There is no cost associated with this option.
Transportation provided using district school buses while abiding by all health screenings, social distancing guidelines, and NYS recommendations. The cost will be $100.00 for six weeks of transportation. Transportation NOT provided if ICSD is closed to in-person learning and goes 100% virtual. If 100% virtual, you will provide your own transportation to Greek Peak and you will be pro-rated a refund for transportation. If you plan to ride the bus, please include this medical form with your payment. Make checks payable to Ithaca High School Ski Club and either drop off in E-16 during the school day or mail to Scott Breigle, Ithaca High School, 1401 North Cayuga Street, Ithaca, New York 14850.
9. IHS Clubs:
- IHS Yearbook. Interested in the IHS Yearbook? Please click the following links: IHS Yearbook 101 and IHS Yearbook Recruiting Video.
- The Tattler! Interested in joining the staff of your IHS student newspaper? Please click the following links: The Tattler!
10. ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21. The academic calendar was updated on August 18, 2020. For the current version click here. Note: Veteran’s Day Recess Wednesday, November 11th and Thanksgiving Recess Wednesday, November 25th-Friday, November 27th.
11. TCPL Teen Writing Workshop (Thursday, October 29th-December 10th, 4:30-5:30pm). These one-hour workshops will involve a variety of prompts, writing time, and opportunities to workshop pieces. These workshops are suitable for people in grades 6-12 (or their homeschool equivalent). Advance registration is required in order to receive the Zoom link.
12. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. FABG Grants application deadlines are November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .
13. Saltonstall Teacher Residency (application deadline December 13, 2020). The Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts, in partnership with the Fine Arts Booster Group, is offering a creative retreat for teachers of the Ithaca City School District (ICSD) and other districts in Tompkins County during the February and April school breaks, February 13-17, 2021 and April 3-7, 2021. The program is designed to provide 5 day, 4 night residency-type retreats for local teachers in the following disciplines: creative writing, photography/film/video, and painting/sculpture/visual art. The program is totally free to attend. Teachers are selected through a lottery system. The application deadline is December 13, 2020, and the application is available at www.saltonstall.org/teachers. Teachers may choose which session to attend. COVID 19 protocols are in place and described on the website.
14. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.