The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 10/7/20
- IHS PTA Gearing Up for 2020-21
- In-Person/Hybrid Learning (began 10/5)
- Crush the Closure Athletic T-shirts & Hoodies (deadline 10/9)
- ICSD Academic Calendar (No school 10/12)
- IHS Clubs
- IHS Athletic Updates/Intent to Play Registration (Winter season 10/19-11/2)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle I due 10/7)
- FABG Grants (Cycle I due 11/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/october-7th/
1. IHS PTA Gearing up for 2020-21. The IHS PTA is gearing up for meetings and programming. Please stay tuned for upcoming dates. In the meantime, please consider joining the IHS PTA. There are 2 options: 1. Return the PTA membership form in the IHS information packet or 2. Join via the secure, online form. The online form has other options (e.g., student membership and additional donation links). Every bit helps and we appreciate your support.
2. In-Person/Hybrid Class Schedule. For middle and high school students who selected the in-person learning option, IHS transitioned to a hybrid model as of Monday, October 5th. Students were placed into two separate cohorts and will attend school in person two days per week and receive distance learning instruction the other three days of the week, as outlined below.
- Please review the 7 key things for the start of the hybrid schedule.
- All virtual PE classes will take place ONLY on Wednesdays.Students do not have to sign in on Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday.
- IHS Bell Schedule
|Cohort 1 (Gold) in person (A-K)||Asynchronous (virtual) learning day for all||Cohort 2 (Red) in person (L-Z)|
3. Crush the Closure/Red and Gold Strong Webstore (deadline 10/9). Checkout the cool Crush the Closure t-shirts and hoodies in both adult and youth sizes. https://ithacaredandgoldstrong.itemorder.com/sale. Store closes on 10/9!
4. ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21. The academic calendar was updated on August 18, 2020. For the current version click here. Note: Indigenous People’s Day Recess Monday, October 12th.
5. IHS Clubs:
- IHS Yearbook. Interested in the IHS Yearbook? Please click the following links: IHS Yearbook 101 and IHS Yearbook Recruiting Video.
- The Tattler! Interested in joining the staff of your IHS student newspaper? Please click the following links: The Tattler!
6. IHS Athletics Updates
The Southern Tier Athletic Conference (STAC) has agreed to postpone all league play and follow the NYSPHSAA condensed fall, winter, and spring seasons beginning January 4, 2021. The tentative start date for fall sports is March 1, 2021.
Condensed Season Plan (Dates subject to change)
- Season I (Winter Sports): January 4 – March 13
- Season II (Fall Sports): March 1 – April 24
- Season III (Spring Sports): April 19 – June 12
Intent to Play Registration Dates: For more information, please click ICSD Athletics Return to Play for Students and Families.
|Season||Family ID Sign Up Window||Off-Season Training Dates|
|Fall Intent to Play||09/28-10/5||10/5-10/30|
|Winter Intent to Play||10/19-11/2||11/2-11/25|
|Spring Intent to Play||11/16-11/30||11/30-12/23|
7. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: October 7, 2020, January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.
8. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. FABG Grants application deadlines are November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .