The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to email@example.com.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 9/30/20
- In-Person/Hybrid Learning (beginning 10/5)
- Canvas Learning Management System
- Virtual Instruction Class Schedule
- Free COVID Testing (Tompkins Co. Residents)
- ICSD Academic Calendar (No school 10/12)
- IHS Clubs
- IHS Athletic Updates/Intent to Play Registration (Fall season 9/28-10/5)
- Girls Who Code (10/4)
- IPEI Grants (Cycle I due 10/7)
- FABG Grants (Cycle I due 11/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/september-30th
1. In-Person/Hybrid Learning Beginning October 5th. For middle and high school students who selected the in-person learning option, ICSD is transitioning to a hybrid model beginning on Monday, October 5th. In this hybrid model, students will attend school in person two days per week and receive distance learning instruction the other three days of the week. Cohort 1 (Gold) in person Monday & Tuesday; asynchronous (all) Wednesday; and Cohort 2 (Red) in person Thursday & Friday. Students who are engaged in 100% virtual learning will use Google Meet via Canvas at the beginning of each class period for instructions. For more information. Thursday, 10/1 and Friday, 10/2 will be asynchronous instruction days for all students/both gold and red cohorts.
2. Canvas Learning Management System (Grades 6-12). Canvas is the ICSD’s learning management system (LMS) for grades 6-12. On Canvas, teachers can post activities, assignments, and announcements; students can view all of their course content, submit work, engage in discussions, and take assessments; and parents and caregivers can get an inside view into their children’s learning as “observers.” Click here for more information.
3. Virtual Instruction Class Schedule. Remember to eat lunch with virtual instruction.It is important for everyone to have lunch, take a screen break, and engage in self-care. Click on this link for the new bell schedule with lunch included.
4. COVID Testing FREE (Tompkins County Residents). Testing is FREE for Tompkins County residents. Cayuga Health Sampling Site, Mall Parking Lot, Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:00PM. Appointments are REQUIRED: http://ow.ly/jkay50BCcHS or call 607-319-5708. Register and call 211 for transportation options. http://ow.ly/4vcb50BCcHQ
5. ICSD Academic Calendar 2020-21. The academic calendar was updated on August 18, 2020. For the current version click here. Note: Indigenous People’s Day Recess Monday, October 12th.
6. IHS Clubs:
- IHS Yearbook. Interested in the IHS Yearbook? Please click the following links: IHS Yearbook 101 and IHS Yearbook Recruiting Video.
- The Tattler! Interested in joining the staff of your IHS student newspaper? Please click the following links: The Tattler!
7. IHS Athletics Updates
The Southern Tier Athletic Conference (STAC) has agreed to postpone all league play and follow the NYSPHSAA condensed fall, winter, and spring seasons beginning January 4, 2021. The tentative start date for fall sports is March 1, 2021.
Condensed Season Plan (Dates subject to change)
- Season I (Winter Sports): January 4 – March 13
- Season II (Fall Sports): March 1 – April 24
- Season III (Spring Sports): April 19 – June 12
Intent to Play Registration Dates: For more information, please click ICSD Athletics Return to Play for Students and Families.
|Season||Family ID Sign Up Window||Off-Season Training Dates|
|Fall Intent to Play||09/28-10/5||10/5-10/30|
|Winter Intent to Play||10/19-11/2||11/2-11/25|
|Spring Intent to Play||11/16-11/30||11/30-12/23|
8. Girls Who Code (first class, Sunday, September 27th). Are you a middle school or high school student? Want to change the world with your fingertips? Come join us and bring your ideas to life with the power of coding! Women in Computing at Cornell (WICC) has partnered with Girls Who Code and Accenture to bring the Girls Who Code program to Ithaca! Students will be able to attend free weekly virtual workshops where they will get the chance to learn the basics of computer science by using hardware and software to create their own projects and tackle real-world problems. The class is open to all genders. No experience necessary!
Come to one of our first classes on Sunday, September 27 to learn about all the cool projects and skills you could learn from joining the program. If you’re interested, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/FAY5UxXKYmYotkgC7
- Middle School: Sundays starting September 27th from 12pm-1:30pm
- High School: Sundays starting September 27 from 2pm-3:30pm
Location: Virtual! (Hosted on Discord)
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . More information can also be found on our website https://wicc.cornell.edu/outreach.php . Feel free to follow our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/wiccgwc/ .
9. Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) (Deadlines: October 7, 2020, January 6, 2021, and March 17, 2021). Supporting innovation for teachers by students. For more information, click here.
10. Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) Grant Deadlines (November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021). The Ithaca City School District (ICSD) has developed arts education practices and guidelines for continued learning during the 2020 – 2021 school year. These practices were developed using New York State guidelines, local district and community collaboration, and national research. The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) will support teachers and students in these efforts with their grant programs. FABG Grants application deadlines are November 1, 2020 and February 1, 2021. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive , by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org . Grant applications are submitted electronically. District information on arts education and other information about the COVID-19 response is updated regularly at www.ithacacityschools.org .