The following is a weekly e-newsletter containing announcements, events and opportunities happening at school and in our community for IHS students and families. This weekly communication is a partnership between the IHS PTA and IHS itself to reach out to all families as it is our joint vision to support full engagement for ALL students at IHS. This e-newsletter is informational only and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District, the Superintendent of the ICSD or this school. If you have E-News to share, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ithaca High School PTA E-News 9/8/2021 – Welcome to the 2021-22 school year!
- ICSD Mask Policy
- IHS Athletics Updates
- IHS PSAT/NMSQT (registration deadline 9/13)
- IHS Virtual College Visits
- IHS Seniors: FAFSA Form (opens 10/1)
- IHS Seniors: Elks Foundation Scholarship (deadline 11/15)
- IHS Daily Announcements
- IHS Clubs
- IHS Community Closet – donations needed
- 2021-22 SAT/ACT dates
- IPEI 2021-22 Red and Gold and Teacher Grants (deadline 10/6)
- FABG Grants Deadlines (10/15 & 2/1)
For more information, please visit: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/posts/september-8th/
1. ICSD Mask Policy: As of August 20, masks are required indoors on ICSD campuses, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are required outdoors when one cannot maintain 6 feet of distance.
2. IHS Athletics Updates
Welcome to the 2021-2022 academic year! We look forward to supporting and celebrating our scholars and athletic programming. Varsity, JV and Modified Football sport seasons are underway!
- Please see Schedule Galaxy for the complete list of contests for all sports.
- ICSD Athletics Reopening Letter as of August 23, 2021.
- Please see the Fall Sports FAQ document here and Scholar-Athlete/Family Handbook.
- Athletics Gear Store will be open until September 13th!
Please see the Athletics Website for the most recent updates throughout the school year and contact the Athletics Office at 274-2155 with any questions
3. IHS PSAT/NMSQT (Exam Saturday, October 16th; Registration deadline Monday, September 13th). Ithaca High School will be administering the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday, October 16, 2021. The PSAT/NMSQT exam is available to all Grade 11 students at no cost. To sign up for the PSAT/NMSQT exam, please complete the Registration Form by the end of the day on Monday, September 13, 2021. More information will be provided for registrants as we approach the exam date. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Jay Barnes at email@example.com or (607) 274-2218 in the College & Career Office.
4. IHS College Representative September Virtual Visits (sign up in Naviance):
- Michigan State University on Monday, September 13th at 12:30pm
- University of Chicago on Monday, September 13th at 4:15pm
- Princeton University on Tuesday, September 14th at 4:15pm
- Tulane University on Thursday, September 16th at 11:40am
- Emerson College on Thursday, September 16th at 12:30pm
- Washington University in St Louis on Thursday, September 16th at 4:15pm
- St Bonaventure University on Friday, September 17th at 10:50am
- Wells College on Friday, September 17th at 11:40am
- University of Connecticut on Friday, September 17th at 12:30pm
- Hofstra University on Friday, September 17th at 4:15pm
- Hamilton College on Monday, September 20th at 12:30pm
- Utica College on Monday, September 20th at 4:15pm
- SUNY Oneonta on Tuesday, September 21st at 10:50am
- University of Rhode Island on Tuesday, September 21st at 11:40am
- Bates College on Thursday, September 23rd at 12:30pm
- Lawrence Technical University on Friday, September 24th at 12:30pm
- Elmira College on Monday, September 27th at 10:50am
- Macalester College on Monday, September 27th at 11:40am
- Union College on Monday, September 27th at 4:15pm
- University of Southern California on Tuesday, September 28th at 11:40am
- Oberlin College on Wednesday, September 29th at 4:15pm
- Brown University on Thursday, September 30th at 10:50am
- Bucknell University on Thursday, September 30th at 11:40am
- SUNY New Paltz on Thursday, September 30th at 12:30pm
Check Naviance for October and November visits already scheduled. More to come as the school year starts.
5. IHS Seniors: FAFSA Form (Application opens October 1st). Each year, the FAFSA opens on October 1st. File your FAFSA as close to October 1st as possible to improve your chances of qualifying for the most grant, scholarship and work-study aid. In the meantime, now is a good time to sign-up for your FSA ID if you and your student don’t already have one. The FSA ID allows you to sign your FAFSA® form electronically. Pro-tip: checkout IHS Student Services Financial Aid Resources page.
6. IHS Seniors: Elks National Foundation Most Valuable Student Scholarships 2022 (deadline November 15, 2021). Elks National Foundation will award a total of 500 Most Valuable Student Scholarships, ranging from $4,000 to $50,000 (paid out over four years). The scholarship contest is open to any high school senior who is a US citizen and will attend a four-year school after graduation. Elk affiliation is NOT required. This is a competitive contest based on academics, leadership, service, and financial need.
7. IHS Daily Announcements. We love our students, but sometimes they are not the best at sharing school announcements. Problem solved! IHS posts Daily Announcements here.
8. IHS Clubs. As of this posting, IHS will offer clubs for the 2021-22 school year. IHS clubs types include: Service Clubs, Culture, Knowledge & Competition, Arts & Performance, Sports & Leisure, Leadership, and Media & Communication. Don’t see something you like? Start a new one! Something for everyone and all are welcome to join.
9. IHS Community Closet Needs Your Help! The IHS Community Closet is a free and confidential space for students to shop for clothes, shoes, and toiletries. It is set up like a store, except everything is free. If your student has outgrown clothes and/or shoes, and they are in great condition, please consider donating to the Community Closet. Some of the most in-demand items are:
- Sneakers, all sizes, gently used and clean, especially Men’s sizes 10-13 and Women’s sizes 7-9
- Men’s sweatpants/joggers
- Winter gloves and hats
We accept clean and gently used clothes in sizes Youth L to Adult 3XL. We only accept NEW toiletries, socks, and underwear. Toiletries, especially hair products for all hair types, are in high demand. Period products are also in high demand. If you’d like to donate, or have your student shop the Closet, please contact IHS Teacher-Librarian Rachel McDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org).
10. 2021-22 SAT and ACT dates: SAT: 2021-22 SAT Dates: October 2, 2021, November 6, 2021, December 4, 2021, March 12, 2022, May 7, 2022, June 4, 2022. ACT: 2021-22 ACT Dates (National): September 11, 2021, October 23, 2021, December 11, 2021, February 12, 2022, April 2, 2022, June 11, 2022, July 16, 2022 (no NYS testing centers).
11. IPEI 2021-22 Red and Gold and Teacher Grants (Applications due: October 6, 2021, January 5, 2022 and March 16, 2022). Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI) supports educators with innovative ideas that energize the curriculum and foster authentic learning experiences that reach all students. Our programs bring a diverse range of community resources into the classroom, stretching students’ imaginations, increasing engagement, and enhancing education. Applications are available online: https://www.ipei.org/grants/.
12. Fine Arts Boosters Group Announces 2021-22 Grant Deadlines (October 15, 2021 and February 1, 2022). The Fine Arts Booster Group (FABG) announces grant deadlines for the 2021-2022 school year to support Ithaca City School District students’ arts learning. FABG Grants application deadlines are October 15, 2021 and February 1, 2022. Applications are available online at www.fabgithaca.org/receive, by phone 256-4734, or email FABGgrants@ipei.org. Grant applications are submitted electronically.