Ithaca High School PTA “E-News”, Week of 5/11/2015
1. There are several “Meet the Candidate” forums happening this week ahead of next Tuesday’s election.
2. Please support the Annual Staff and Teacher appreciation luncheon, coming up Wednesday, June 10.
3. Two scholarship opportunities for IHS Seniors; deadlines are May 15, and May 31, respectively.
4. Please give to the Senior Class Fund
5. IHS PTA seeks volunteers to fill open positions for next year.
6. Link Crew sponsors “Lock-in” for freshmen, Friday, May 15
7. The Ithaca SEPTA has information about inclusive summer camps.
8. IHS TSA fundraiser for travel to National Competition
9. Important information for families of Seniors
10. Class of 2016 seeks volunteers for Junior Prom, May 16
11. “Soldier Story Day”, May 22, seeks refreshment donations
14. Running to Places performs “Wizard of Oz”, May 15-17
For more information, see below:
1. Several Meet the Candidate forums are scheduled for this week (see below). The Election for ICSD School Board and Budget vote are Tuesday, May 19, 2015.
· Monday, May 11, 7 PM: Meet the Candidates at Cayuga Hts. Elementary, 110 East Upland Rd., Ithaca, Sponsor: CHES PTA
· Wednesday, May 13, 6-8 PM, Meet the Candidates forum at BJM library, 302 W. Buffalo St., Sponsor: Village at Ithaca, GIAC, Ithaca Asian-American assoc., Latino Civic Association, Multicultural Resource Center, Tompkins co. office of Human Rights, Ithaca Youth Bureau, Cornell Public Service Center, and A.C.T.I.O.N
· Thursday, May 14, 5-6 PM, Candidate Forum in the IHS library, Sponsor: IHS Site-Based Council
· Thursday, May 14, 6:30-8 PM, Meet the candidate forum, IHS Activities Bldg. Sponsor: Ithaca PTA Council
Information on the ICSD Budget can be found by following this link: http://www.ithacacityschools.org/index.cfm/icsd/Menu/board-of-education/budget.htm <http://www.ithacacityschools.org/index.cfm/icsd/Menu/board-of-education/budget.htm>
2. The Annual Staff and Teacher Appreciation Luncheon is coming up on Wednesday, June 10th. The lunch will again be catered by IHS parent Sam Schuepbach of Aladdin’s Natural Eatery.
· There are many ways to show your support for the people who teach and help our children every day! Please help by donating desserts, homemade or purchased! In addition to pies, cakes, cookies, etc, we would love to provide gluten-free and vegan desserts!
· If you cannot bake or provide desserts, please consider making a donation towards the luncheon; suggested contribution, $ 10. Please send in with your student to drop off in the main office, or mail to: Ithaca High School PTA, 1401 N. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY, 14850. Attn: PTA treasurer.
· We will also need several people each shift to help serve and clean-up (shifts are 8:00 – 10:00 set up and 1:30 to 3:00/clean-up). Please contact Laura Andolina at email@example.com or Mia Slotnick at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you can help. Thank you, parents, for your continuing help and support!
Laura Andolina and Mia Slotnick
Coordinators, Staff and Teacher Appreciation luncheon
3. Here are two scholarship opportunities for students:
· Seniors can apply for the Joe Cassaniti Community Service Award (JCCSA). Applications are due May 15. An information sheet, nomination form and application will be posted to the PTA website at: http://www.ihspta.info/wordpress/sample-page/documents/ Scroll down to the Scholarship and Awards section and look for the JCCSA award application.
· The AT&T oxyGEN Scholarship for seniors entering the STEM field, due May 31. Students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math fields should complete this application by the deadline of May 31st. Please access the application at https://ebiznet.sbc.com/oxygen/oxy/scholarship/ You should email copies of your most recent transcript as well as a letter of recommendation to email@example.com after you submit the online application.
4. Please consider making a donation to the IPEI Senior Class Gift Fund to support the awards given to a deserving teacher, staff member and school club. IPEI handles the fund for the senior class and your contribution is tax-deductable. For more information and to donate, please visit https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E130565&id=2 (scroll down to select “Class of 2015”) or print a paper form at http://www.ipei.org/uploads/ipei/docs/help/contribution.pdf
Jill Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org ) & Brenda Rudan
Parent volunteers, Senior Class Gift fund
5. The IHS PTA seeks nominees for the following positions: President ( and co-President, preferably), secretary, Editor for PTA publication, “The Word”, webmaster, co-membership chair, mini-grants coordinator.
Please contact IHS PTA President Amita Verma, if you are interested (email@example.com)! Your volunteer time is greatly appreciated!
6. Link Crew sponsors “Lock-In”, on Friday, May 15th from 6-9 pm in the Q Building at IHS for the class of 2018 (freshmen)!!
The event will include activities such as basketball, video games, a movie and crafts. Link Crew, along with help from other IHS clubs, will be selling concessions.
Admission to the “Lock-In” will be $5 per student and $2 for free & reduced lunch students. Tickets will be available for sale the week before and at the door. Freshmen will need to show their student ID.
Link Crew seeks volunteers for chaperones, selling concessions, supervising various locations throughout the Q corridor, and, if interested, providing an activity.
If you are available to help, please complete this survey or email us to let us know!
SURVEY… Click HERE <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jW9oRcBsdFf3fSdHeQwv2WUyW56ei4saT2rYXRPy10s/viewform?usp=send_form
-Meggie New, Link Crew advisor firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Ithaca SEPTA (Special Ed PTA) would like to share with parents upcoming inclusive summer programs from CNY ASA and LDA. These are camps located in Central New York, outside of Ithaca. For more information, please send a note to: email@example.com
8. IHS and DeWitt middle school TSA members are preparing to go to the national TSA competition, to be held in Dallas from June 28 to July 2, and are raising funds for this trip. Over 7,000 students from 49 states and several countries are expected. DeWitt and IHS students will be pulling late nights from now through June to prepare for TSA nationals. Meanwhile, faculty advisors and parents are busy raising funds and managing logistics to make the trip possible. The IHS group, under the direction of faculty advisor Bill Sauve, has prepared a video crowdfunding campaign. See http://bit.ly/1HYE0Md to view and contribute.
IHS and DeWitt TSA are Associate Members of IthacaSTEM Advocates, an affiliate of the Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI). IPEI is a not-for-profit organization that believes the education of every ICSD student is enhanced through community connections and support facilitated by IPEI for students and teachers through engagement, collaboration, gifts, and grants. More information about IthacaSTEM Advocates and IPEI can be found at www.ithacastem.org and www.ipei.org . For further information about the Technology Student Association, see www.tsaweb.org .
9. Information for families of seniors:
§ Remember to fill out the Class of 2015 information packet that you received in the mail last month. Some forms are due by May 15!
§ Casino Night volunteers needed! We need helpers for various roles for Class of 2015 Casino Night, which will be Friday, May 29. This event itself is for seniors only, but we’re looking for any adult volunteers to help decorate, arrange donations (biggest need!), put together (fake) money packets, etc.
Please email Karl Mellander at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping create this incredible event. Typically, we need 80-100 parents to pull it off, and it’s one of the most rewarding experiences to be involved with!
10. The IHS Class of ’16 seeks a team of parents who can set up a photo booth for Junior Prom, which will take place on May 16 at Cornell’s Biotech Building! Setup will begin at 6 pm and end by 7:30 before students will enter the venue.
Please let us know via email@example.com if you are interested in helping with the photo booth or would like to give us a hand in any other way. Additional information will be sent to you soon.
Class of ’16 VP
PS: We’d also greatly appreciate donations to the class fund! This will alleviate the costs of this event and finance many more in the future before graduation, such as senior prom, senior trip, service projects, and other class social events. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or donate directly online bit.ly/ihs16donate
11. The planners of “Soldier Story Day” request donations of refreshments for this event taking place on Friday May 22. About 40 participants will be visiting IHS. A variety of beverages (coffee, bottled water, tea, etc.), healthy (fruit, veggie sticks, dips), and sweet snacks would be ideal. Items can be dropped off at the high school starting at 7:30 AM that morning.
— Questions? Please contact IHS staff member TC Pelletier (email@example.com; 607-379-0547)
12. “Running to Places” Performs Wizard of Oz’ May 15-17
In an unconventional artistic collaboration, Running to Places (R2P) has partnered with Spirit and Kitsch artist Alice Muhlback to create a story-book “Wizard of Oz” that transforms the classic show into a true “over the rainbow” experience. The show runs May 15-17 at the State Theatre of Ithaca.
Plenty of treats await those who’ve only seen the movie version of The Wizard of Oz, notes Steinhagen, like the Jitterbugs and Winkies. “It’s been great fun to explore the ways in which this wonderfully familiar show is at the same time new and fresh and unexpected.”
This is R2P’s first season with company participation entirely free, the cast includes lots of first-timers as well as seasoned company members. (Donations to keep R2P tuition-free can be made online at www.runningtoplaces.org)
Tickets are $15 the day of the show, $13 if purchased in advance, available at the State Theatre box office at 105 West Martin Luther King Jr. Street, by calling 607-277-8283 <tel:607-277-8283> , and at www.stateofithaca.com . More information at www.runningtoplaces.org .
Fri, May 15 at 7:00 pm
Sat, May 16 at 7:00 pm
Sun, May 17 at 2:00 pm