Ithaca High School PTA “E-News”, Week of 5/18/2015
1. Please vote in tomorrow’s ICSD school board and budget election!
2. You can still reserve a yearbook if you did not order online.
3. Please support the Annual Staff and Teacher appreciation luncheon, coming up Wednesday, June 10.
4. IHS Seniors can apply for At&T scholarship, deadline is May 31.
5. National Honor society presents college prep information session, tomorrow, May 19
6. “Soldier Story Day”, May 22, seeks refreshment donations
7. IHS PTA seeks volunteers to fill open positions for next year.
8. Please give to the senior class fund.
9. The Ithaca SEPTA invites you to their next meeting, May 28.
10. Come to the IHS concert band spring concert, Wed., May 27
11 IHS TSA fundraiser for travel to National Competition
12. Important information for families of Seniors
13. SWIS club fundraiser supports Advocacy Center, May 30.
For more information, see below:
1. Be sure to vote in tomorrow’s ICSD school board and budget election! Polls are open from 12pm to 9 pm.
Link to ICSD Budget Information: http://www.ithacacityschools.org/docs/ICSD/Board/Budget&Election/Budget_Presentation%20Report_2015-16.pdf \
Link to Polling Locations: http://www.ithacacityschools.org/docs/ICSD/Board/Budget&Election/Election_Districts_and%20Polling_Places_2015.pdf
Link to Village at Ithaca written candidate responses: http://villageatithaca.org/2015/05/12/vote-may-19-invest-in-our-youth-invest-in-our-future/
Link to Ithaca Times candidate responses: http://www.ithaca.com/news/ready-to-serve-vie-for-school-board-seats/article_2e552592-f8ef-11e4-8fdd-8b3ad45ecae4.html
2. Even if you did not order The 100th ANNUAL Yearbook online, there are a limited of copies that are available by reservation.
If you would like to reserve a book please send a check for $80 to IHS Annual, c/o Lyn Reitenbach, Ithaca HS, 1401 N Cayuga St, Ithaca, NY 14850. Students can bring an envelope with their name and payment to G105.
It is a fantastic book! This year we made the transition so that Spring Sports will be in the current book, rather than having to wait a year to see the current years Spring sports teams. We produced a Spring Sports 2014 supplement book that people can purchase for $5. Please let anyone you know who had a Spring Sport athlete that graduated last year hat this supplement is available. Questions call Lyn at 607-274-2154 or e-mail at email@example.com
3. The Annual Staff and Teacher Appreciation Luncheon is coming up on Wednesday, June 10th. The lunch will again be catered by IHS parent Sam Schuepbach of Aladdin’s Natural Eatery.
· There are many ways to show your support for the people who teach and help our children every day! Please help by donating desserts, homemade or purchased! In addition to pies, cakes, cookies, etc, we would love to provide gluten-free and vegan desserts!
· If you cannot bake or provide desserts, please consider making a donation towards the luncheon; suggested contribution, $ 10. Please send in with your student to drop off in the main office, or mail to: Ithaca High School PTA, 1401 N. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY, 14850. Attn: PTA treasurer.
· We will also need several people each shift to help serve and clean-up (shifts are 8:00 – 10:00 set up and 1:30 to 3:00/clean-up). Please contact Laura Andolina at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mia Slotnick at email@example.com and let us know how you can help. Thank you, parents, for your continuing help and support!
Laura Andolina and Mia Slotnick
Coordinators, Staff and Teacher Appreciation luncheon
4. Students can apply for the AT&T oxyGEN Scholarship for seniors entering the STEM field, due May 31. Students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math fields should complete this application by the deadline of May 31st. Please access the application at https://ebiznet.sbc.com/oxygen/oxy/scholarship/ You should email copies of your most recent transcript as well as a letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org after you submit the online application.
5. Sophomores and Juniors can attend the National Honor Society’s information session outlining the steps you need to take towards applying to college, tomorrow, May 19, starting after school in H Courtyard. Worried about APs, college, and what the future will hold? There will also be lightly used review books for APs, SATs, and ACTs and snacks! Hope to see you there!
6. The planners of “Soldier Story Day” request donations of refreshments for this event taking place on Friday May 22. About 40 participants will be visiting IHS. A variety of beverages (coffee, bottled water, tea, etc.), healthy (fruit, veggie sticks, dips), and sweet snacks would be ideal. Items can be dropped off at the high school starting at 7:30 AM that morning.
— Questions? Please contact IHS staff member TC Pelletier (email@example.com; 607-379-0547)
7. The IHS PTA seeks nominees for the following positions: President ( and co-President, preferably), secretary, Editor for PTA publication, “The Word”, webmaster, co-membership chair.
Please contact IHS PTA President Amita Verma, if you are interested (firstname.lastname@example.org)! Your volunteer time is greatly appreciated!
8. Please consider making a donation to the IPEI Senior Class Gift Fund to support the awards given to a deserving teacher, staff member and school club. IPEI handles the fund for the senior class and your contribution is tax-deductable. For more information and to donate, please visit https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E130565&id=2 (scroll down to select “Class of 2015”) or print a paper form at http://www.ipei.org/uploads/ipei/docs/help/contribution.pdf
Jill Johnson (email@example.com ) & Brenda Rudan
Parent volunteers, Senior Class Gift fund
9. Ithaca SEPTA (Special Ed PTA) invites you to their next meeting on May 28, at BJM elementary school at 5:45-7pm. We will be choosing new officers for next year. If you are interested in becoming an officer, please reply to this email. We need at least 10 members to vote, so please attend.
10. Come to the Ithaca High School Concert Band’s spring concert, Wednesday, May 27 at 7:30 pm in Kulp Auditorium. In addition to conductor, Nicki Zawel, guests from the Ithaca Music community will conduct music by composers Bela Fleck, Eric Clapton, Percy Grainger, J.S. Bach and many more. An ice cream reception will follow the concert.
11. IHS and DeWitt middle school TSA members are preparing to go to the national TSA competition, to be held in Dallas from June 28 to July 2, and are raising funds for this trip. Over 7,000 students from 49 states and several countries are expected. DeWitt and IHS students will be pulling late nights from now through June to prepare for TSA nationals. Meanwhile, faculty advisors and parents are busy raising funds and managing logistics to make the trip possible. The IHS group, under the direction of faculty advisor Bill Sauve, has prepared a video crowdfunding campaign. See http://bit.ly/1HYE0Md to view and contribute.
IHS and DeWitt TSA are Associate Members of IthacaSTEM Advocates, an affiliate of the Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI). IPEI is a not-for-profit organization that believes the education of every ICSD student is enhanced through community connections and support facilitated by IPEI for students and teachers through engagement, collaboration, gifts, and grants. More information about IthacaSTEM Advocates and IPEI can be found at www.ithacastem.org and www.ipei.org . For further information about the Technology Student Association, see www.tsaweb.org .
12. Information for families of seniors:
· Check out the “Seniors page” at this link: http://ihsstudentactivities.edublogs.org/seniors/
Casino Night volunteers needed! We need helpers for various roles for Class of 2015 Casino Night, which will be Friday, May 29. This event itself is for seniors only, but we’re looking for any adult volunteers to help decorate, arrange donations (biggest need!), put together (fake) money packets, etc.
Please email Karl Mellander at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping create this incredible event. Typically, we need 80-100 parents to pull it off, and it’s one of the most rewarding experiences to be involved with!
13. Fundraiser for Advocacy Center Celebrates Love
The SWIS Club (Strong Women Impacting Society) of Ithaca High School will host its second annual “Herstory”, a soiree fundraiser for the Advocacy Center, on May 30 at 7 pm, St. Paul’s Methodist Church, 402 N. Aurora Street, Ithaca.
This year’s theme is “A Celebration of Love.” The event will celebrate female empowerment and the female experience; speakers will share stories about their experiences with love and how it has shaped them as people and feminists. Featured speakers include Lyn Staack from the Advocacy Center, as well as members of SWIS and the Ithaca community. The evening will also feature performances by local rapper SAMMUS and various student musicians. A wide variety of desserts and non-alcoholic drinks from local eateries will be served. The suggested donation is $7.