Ithaca High School PTA “E-News”, Week of 5/25/2015
1. Please support the Annual Staff and Teacher appreciation luncheon, coming up Wednesday, June 10.
2. You can still reserve a yearbook if you did not order online.
3. IHS Seniors can apply for At&T scholarship, deadline is May 31.
4. Please come to the final IHS PTA meeting of the year, Monday, June 8
5. Support the senior class fund.
6. The Ithaca SEPTA invites you to their next meeting, June 1.
7. Come to the IHS concert band spring concert, Today, Wed., May 27
8 IHS TSA fundraiser for travel to National Competition
9. Important information for families of Seniors
10. SWIS club fundraiser supports Advocacy Center, May 30.
For more information, see below:
1. The Annual Staff and Teacher Appreciation Luncheon is coming up on Wednesday, June 10th. The lunch will again be catered by IHS parent Sam Schuepbach of Aladdin’s Natural Eatery.
· There are many ways to show your support for the people who teach and help our children every day! Please help by donating desserts, homemade or purchased! In addition to pies, cakes, cookies, etc, we would love to provide gluten-free and vegan desserts!
· If you cannot bake or provide desserts, please consider making a donation towards the luncheon; suggested contribution, $ 10. Please send in with your student to drop off in the main office, or mail to: Ithaca High School PTA, 1401 N. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY, 14850. Attn: PTA treasurer.
· We will also need several people each shift to help set up and clean-up (shifts are 8:00 – 10:00 set up and 1:30 to 3:00/clean-up). Please contact Laura Andolina at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mia Slotnick at email@example.com and let us know how you can help. Thank you, parents, for your continuing help and support!
Laura Andolina and Mia Slotnick
Coordinators, Staff and Teacher Appreciation luncheon
2. Even if you did not order The 100th ANNUAL Yearbook online, there are a limited of copies that are available by reservation.
If you would like to reserve a book please send a check for $80 to IHS Annual, c/o Lyn Reitenbach, Ithaca HS, 1401 N Cayuga St, Ithaca, NY 14850. Students can bring an envelope with their name and payment to G105.
It is a fantastic book! This year we made the transition so that Spring Sports will be in the current book, rather than having to wait a year to see the current years Spring sports teams. We produced a Spring Sports 2014 supplement book that people can purchase for $5. Please let anyone you know who had a Spring Sport athlete that graduated last year hat this supplement is available. Questions call Lyn at 607-274-2154 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Students can apply for the AT&T oxyGEN Scholarship for seniors entering the STEM field, due May 31. Students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math fields should complete this application by the deadline of May 31st. Please access the application at https://ebiznet.sbc.com/oxygen/oxy/scholarship/ You should email copies of your most recent transcript as well as a letter of recommendation to email@example.com after you submit the online application.
4. Please come to the final IHS PTA meeting of the year, Monday, June 8 at 5:30 pm in the IHS library. All are invited!
We will vote on the slate of nominees for the IHS PTA board for the next academic year. Also, all are invited to enjoy refreshments and view the art created by IHS art students, on exhibit in the library. Questions? Contact Anne Horst (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Esther Racoosin (email@example.com)
5. Support the Senior Class Gift Fund, that will provide awards for a deserving teacher, staff member and school club. IPEI handles the fund for the senior class and your contribution is tax-deductable. For more information and to donate, please visit https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E130565&id=2 (scroll down to select “Class of 2015”) or print a paper form at http://www.ipei.org/uploads/ipei/docs/help/contribution.pdf .
Jill Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org ) & Brenda Rudan
Parent volunteers, Senior Class Gift fund
6. Ithaca SEPTA (Special Ed PTA) invites you to their next meeting on Monday, June 1, at BJM elementary school from 5:30-6:30 pm (this date was changed from the original date of May 28). We will be choosing new officers for next year. If you are interested in becoming an officer, please reply to this email. We need at least 10 members to vote, so please attend.
Co-President, SEPTA (email@example.com)
7. Come to the Ithaca High School Concert Band’s spring concert, Today, May 27 at 7:30 pm in Kulp Auditorium. Guest conductors from the Ithaca Music community will present music by composers Bela Fleck, Eric Clapton, Percy Grainger, J.S. Bach and many more. An ice cream reception will follow the concert.
8. IHS and DeWitt middle school TSA members are preparing to go to the national TSA competition, to be held in Dallas from June 28 to July 2, and are raising funds for this trip. Over 7,000 students from 49 states and several countries are expected. DeWitt and IHS students will be pulling late nights from now through June to prepare for TSA nationals. Meanwhile, faculty advisors and parents are busy raising funds and managing logistics to make the trip possible. The IHS group, under the direction of faculty advisor Bill Sauve, has prepared a video crowdfunding campaign. See http://bit.ly/1HYE0Md to view and contribute.
IHS and DeWitt TSA are Associate Members of IthacaSTEM Advocates, an affiliate of the Ithaca Public Education Initiative (IPEI). IPEI is a not-for-profit organization that believes the education of every ICSD student is enhanced through community connections and support facilitated by IPEI for students and teachers through engagement, collaboration, gifts, and grants. More information about IthacaSTEM Advocates and IPEI can be found at www.ithacastem.org and www.ipei.org . For further information about the Technology Student Association, see www.tsaweb.org .
9. Information for families of seniors:
· Check out the “Seniors page” at this link: http://ihsstudentactivities.edublogs.org/seniors/
Casino Night volunteers needed! We need helpers for various roles for Class of 2015 Casino Night, which will be this Friday, May 29. This event itself is for seniors only, but we’re looking for any adult volunteers to help decorate, arrange donations (biggest need!), put together (fake) money packets, etc.
Please visit the google docs pages at the following link:
If you have questions or would like to help, you contact one of the
committee chairs ( see list below) or Charoo Garg <firstname.lastname@example.org> or
or just come to the cafeteria on Friday sometime between 2:30 and 10 pm.
Our five Casino Night committees are:
1)Prize Committee – chaired by Sandy True and Alice Saltonstall
<email@example.com > and <firstname.lastname@example.org>
2)Games Committee – chaired by Ben Kirk <email@example.com>
and parent co-chairs Joan Skawski and David Salomon
<firstname.lastname@example.org> and <email@example.com>
3)Bank Committee – chaired by Patty Stage <firstname.lastname@example.org>
4)Decorations Committee – chaired by Cindy Kaufman <email@example.com>
5)Refreshments Committee – chaired by Karen Trible and Lisa Bonniwell <
firstname.lastname@example.org> and <email@example.com>
10. Fundraiser for Advocacy Center Celebrates Love
The SWIS Club (Strong Women Impacting Society) of Ithaca High School will host its second annual “Herstory”, a soiree fundraiser for the Advocacy Center, on May 30 at 7 pm, St. Paul’s Methodist Church, 402 N. Aurora Street, Ithaca.
This year’s theme is “A Celebration of Love.” The event will celebrate female empowerment and the female experience; speakers will share stories about their experiences with love and how it has shaped them as people and feminists. Featured speakers include Lyn Staack from the Advocacy Center, as well as members of SWIS and the Ithaca community. The evening will also feature performances by local rapper SAMMUS and various student musicians. A wide variety of desserts and non-alcoholic drinks from local eateries will be served. The suggested donation is $7.